Waterstart w/waist harness

  • kitework@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2001
      To waterstart a Directional board is it much easy with a
      waist harness than a seatharness does it make sense plz advice

      thx
    • Kitepower
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 30, 2001
        G'day

        Most people learn to waterstart unhooked so it does not matter which type of
        harness you use, even a lot of advanced riders still waterstart unhooked,
        personally sometimes I waterstart hooked in mostly I do not.
        When learning it is best to not hook in until after you are standing up and
        planing, to avoid being dragged over the board's fins/underwater if you get
        things wrong.
        The different styles of harnesses suit different riding styles and more
        importantly IMO - your body shape. I have found that I have to stock a large
        range of brands of both types of harnesses just to suit all the different
        shapes of people we get through our stores.
        Cya and
        Goodwinds
        Steve McCormack
        www.kitepower.com.au
        sydney@...
        126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
        Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
        Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
        geelong@...

        Subject: [ksurf] Waterstart w/waist harness

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 30, 2001
          Thank Steven

          My problems is while I hooking into the harness my body will twist
          and I had a tough time to get into the strap and with waist harness
          do you think I,ll be better to control my body
          thx

          > G'day
          >
          > Most people learn to waterstart unhooked so it does not matter
          which type of
          > harness you use, even a lot of advanced riders still waterstart
          unhooked,
          > personally sometimes I waterstart hooked in mostly I do not.
          > When learning it is best to not hook in until after you are
          standing up and
          > planing, to avoid being dragged over the board's fins/underwater if
          you get
          > things wrong.
          > The different styles of harnesses suit different riding styles and
          more
          > importantly IMO - your body shape. I have found that I have to
          stock a largevestores.
          > Cya and
          > Goodwinds
          > Steve McCormack
          > www.kitepower.com.au
          > sydney@k...
          > 126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
          > Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
          > Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
          > geelong@k...
          >

          > Subject: [ksurf] Waterstart w/waist harness
          >

          > To waterstart a Directional board is it much easy with a
          > waist harness than a seatharness does it make sense plz advice
          >
          > thx
        • Kitepower
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 30, 2001
            I do not beleive a waist harness will solve your problem. I see this happen
            a lot to beginners, it is because they are taking too much time getting
            their first foot into a strap. Focus on getting both feet on the board as
            quickly as possible, they do not need to be in the straps, you can wiggle
            them into the straps once they are on the board.
            When you have both feet on the board you can actually steer it and counter
            the twisting of your body.
            The body twisting is also caused by letting the kite drift too much to one
            side, because all of your attention is on getting bone foot in a strap.
            If you are having trouble steering the kite with one hand, go back and
            practice that for a few more sessions.
            Make sure your footstraps are quite loose when learning to waterstart.
            Make sure the kite stays directly overhead when you are getting your feet on
            the board.
            This is also why you will not find a waist harness very comfortable when
            waterstarting they tend to ride up and it can get quite painful and hard to
            breathe.
            Watch How to Rip.
            Hope this helps,
            Cya and
            Goodwinds
            Steve McCormack
            www.kitepower.com.au
            open 7 days
            126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
            Phone +61293157894

            Subject: [ksurf] Re: Waterstart w/waist harness

          • kitework@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2001
              -Thx Steven

              My main problem is in wasit deep water I can get up and go
              once I am in deep water to do a water start when I lower the bar to
              the hook it took a lot of strength cause the hook is low and once I
              hook in my body start to twist and I could not have to time to grab
              the board and position it and my body will face the other way so I
              think with the high hook would that been easier I just haven,t have
              the chance to try it yet what you think plz help thx

              -- In kitesurf@y..., "Kitepower" <kitepower@b...> wrote:
              > G'day
              >
              > Most people learn to waterstart unhooked so it does not matter
              which type of
              > harness you use, even a lot of advanced riders still waterstart
              unhooked,
              > personally sometimes I waterstart hooked in mostly I do not.
              > When learning it is best to not hook in until after you are
              standing up and
              > planing, to avoid being dragged over the board's fins/underwater if
              you get
              > things wrong.
              > The different styles of harnesses suit different riding styles and
              more
              > importantly IMO - your body shape. I have found that I have to
              stock a large
              > range of brands of both types of harnesses just to suit all the
              different
              > shapes of people we get through our stores.
              > Cya and
              > Goodwinds
              > Steve McCormack
              > www.kitepower.com.au
              > sydney@k...
              > 126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
              > Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
              > Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
              > geelong@k...
              >

              > Subject: [ksurf] Waterstart w/waist harness
              >

              > To waterstart a Directional board is it much easy with a
              > waist harness than a seatharness does it make sense plz advice
              >
              > thx
            • Kitepower
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 2001
                Well, I still think a waist harness is not going to stop your body twisting.
                Your body is twisting under the kite because you are either applying uneven
                pressure to your board, or you have steered the kite too much to one side.
                Practice getting both feet onto the board (not absolutely necessary to be in
                both straps) and steer yourself and the board by applying different pressure
                with your feet. If you are being twisted to the left push on the board with
                your right foot and keep the kite overhead, and vice versa.

              • kitemanic@yahoo.co.uk
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1, 2001
                  Yup I agree. I remember having the same problem when I was learning,
                  the best and easiest way to stop rotating in the water is to use your
                  spare hand to keep your position. Just use your hand like a rudder
                  and it's pretty easy to move yourself about.
                  ok lates,
                  DREW

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • fishersfort@attglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
                    --- In kitesurf@y..., kitework@y... wrote:
                    > -Thx Steven
                    >
                    > My main problem is in wasit deep water I can get up and go
                    > once I am in deep water to do a water start when I lower the bar to
                    > the hook it took a lot of strength cause the hook is low and once I
                    > hook in my body start to twist and I could not have to time to grab
                    > the board and position it and my body will face the other way so I
                    > think with the high hook would that been easier I just haven,t have
                    > the chance to try it yet what you think plz help thx

                    I higher hook does make you more stable. When I was learning if found
                    myself more unbalanced with a low hook. You will overcome this
                    problem soon, so switching harnesses might not be worth the trouble.
                    When I was learning I had a low hook speedseat windsurfing harness
                    and a high hook wavesailing harness which I owned from my windsuring
                    days. I also found longer harness lines improved my stabilty. Having
                    the bar down near my chest was worse than when it was up near my face
                    while trying to mount the board.
                  • Roland Andrag
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
                      > myself more unbalanced with a low hook. You will overcome this
                      > problem soon, so switching harnesses might not be worth the trouble.

                      I could not agree with this statement more. Give it a session or three, and
                      you'll be slipping into those footstraps no problems.. Basically it comes
                      down to small kite movements and using your hands/legs/board to steer
                      yourself in the water.

                      For example, if you have your feet in the straps, and feel yourself starting
                      to turn clockwise looking from the top, move the board to your left to stop
                      the rotation, and vice versa. Moving the bar does the same kind of thing (if
                      you rotate clockwise, move the bar to the right), and this is one place
                      where having windsurfed does help - if you can waterstart a windsurfer you
                      already know how to move the sail (bar in the case of a kite) to position
                      yourself. When I say 'move the bar', I do really mean move the bar (I don't
                      mean steer the kite - that is a different matter).

                      Roland
                    • saulkite@yahoo.co.uk
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 2, 2001
                        --- In kitesurf@y..., "Roland Andrag" <randrag@i...> wrote:
                        > > myself more unbalanced with a low hook. You will overcome this
                        > > problem soon, so switching harnesses might not be worth the
                        trouble.

                        > I could not agree with this statement more. Give it a session or
                        three, and
                        > you'll be slipping into those footstraps no problems.. Basically it
                        comes
                        > down to small kite movements and using your hands/legs/board to
                        steer
                        > yourself in the water.
                        >
                        > For example, if you have your feet in the straps, and feel yourself
                        starting
                        > to turn clockwise looking from the top, move the board to your left
                        to stop
                        > the rotation, and vice versa. Moving the bar does the same kind of
                        thing (if
                        > you rotate clockwise, move the bar to the right), and this is one
                        place
                        > where having windsurfed does help - if you can waterstart a
                        windsurfer you
                        > already know how to move the sail (bar in the case of a kite) to
                        position
                        > yourself. When I say 'move the bar', I do really mean move the bar
                        (I don't
                        > mean steer the kite - that is a different matter

                        If this happens to me I simply 'swim' myself around with a few
                        paddles while flying the kite with the other hand - simple but
                        effective!

                        Saul