Conflict of Interest : Secretary Position AKSA

  • aruzer@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 30, 2001
      Yes Darren,
      But the AKSA has a credibility problem.In Australian
      public sporting organisations, People
      in ownership or
      with a vested interest in a commercial business selling
      equipment are normally barred from public office.
      Is he AKSA Secretary?
      It's not that Steve may be a top guy or the best man for the
      job, it's just that people will say he could use his influence
      as secretary for contacts for product sales.
      Didn't anyone think about this when you elected him?
      Look what happens to politicians with a vested interest.
      Chop chop.
      From what I've seen of him on this board he is an honest man
      and certainly isn't a guy who would sell kites from the boot of his
      car. I'm sorry, In most organisations people who sell product
      distance themselves from public organisations.

      --- In kitesurf@y..., kitemaster26@y... wrote:
      > great to hear what you have to say about steve ,Im sure he is a
      great
      > kite flyer after all he does own a kite/toy shop..
      >
      > But I have not said one word of a lie I have actually spoke to you
      > about a kite I was looking to buy of kitepower ,you totaly advised
      me
      > again'st it & said its not the right kite for me ,so I guess I have
      > you to thank for that.. thanks dude!!
      >
      > But really who is the lier here & really who has to earn the
      respect
      > back after slagging off about bullshit to my good friends at
      > longreef ,the damage has been done & you cant take back what has
      been
      > said.
      >
      > scott c
      >
      > --- In kitesurf@y..., darrenthepres@h... wrote:
      > >
      > > Aloha Scott C,
      > >
      > > Ive been casually reading your postings and slanderings about
      Steve
      > > and Kitepower. Now, I wasn't going to get involved and just sit
      > back
      > > and chuckle over your BS, but finally I must throw my 2 bobs
      worth
      > in
      > > to right wrongs.
      > >
      > > I have known Steve for about eighteen months, and some of his
      > family,
      > > and I drop into the Kitepower store from time to time to say
      G'Day
      > > and check out his stock.
      > >
      > > I can tell you that Steve does have a Mickey Mouse toy store and
      > yes,
      > > he actually does sell rubber chickens, and a whole host of other
      > > gross/interesting/quirky toys and novelties. Steve's store is
      > always
      > > busy with customers, I don't think that I have ever been in there
      > and
      > > not seen anyone buying/browsing.
      > >
      > > The Kite side is a whole different matter, and I can tell you
      that
      > > Steve stocks more brands, and has more boards and accessories
      than
      > > any other shop I have been to. He sells foils, and sleds and
      > several
      > > brands of each for his customers to chose from.
      > >
      > > I would say that Steve knows more about kite surfing than anyone
      > else
      > > in the country, and this is due to his fanatic obsessive,
      > compulsive
      > > addiction to power kites and stunt kites.
      > >
      > > You have obviously never seen Steve kitesurf or entertain a crowd
      > > with his big stunt kites and long tails or his flying the Delta
      > with
      > > 100 foot tail at Dixon Park beach with Jeremy the inflatable
      > dolphin
      > > gaffer taped to the end of the tail.
      > >
      > > Scott C, you are a liar also, as I was the second person to buy a
      > > kite from Long Reef in Sydney and that was over eighteen months
      > ago,
      > > before they even started stocking kites. The first was my good
      > > friend Paul C, who bought his kite some six months earlier than
      > that
      > > again.
      > >
      > > Steve devotes his time and his life to kitesurfers, and
      > kitesurfing,
      > > his after hours time along with a group of other dedicated
      > > individuals, is spent driving AKSA in the right direction to
      > further
      > > everyones enjoyment and safety of the sport.
      > >
      > > I suggest you turn your spite into support for Steve, maybe get
      > > know him and his quirky ways and maybe you would have some more
      > > respect.
      > >
      > > By the way, in case you are wondering, I am sponsored by Long
      Reef

    • darrenthepres@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 30, 2001
        Aloha Aruzer,

        Thanks for bringing this up mate. Yes you are correct, normally a
        person with commercial interests is usually barred from holding
        office in a public association.

        This was brought up at the First General Meeting when the committee
        was elected at the Georges River Sailing Club almost a year ago. I
        had very strong concerns about persons with commercial interests
        being on the committee.

        During the election of the committee, I raised this point with the
        members who sat in and voted and it was agreed unanimously, that we
        would allow these exceptions.

        Now let me tell you, when I first took over the group of members from
        Ian Young some 16 or 18 months ago, there was NO support, NO interest
        and NO help from anyone but a few dedicated individuals who saw the
        importance of getting a solid, proffessional, association up and off
        the ground. There was a clear, dire need to gain PL insurance, and
        all the committee pulled hard together to acheive the great policy we
        currently enjoy.

        The committee is made up of 8 persons, 6 of whom have commercial
        interests in the sport including myself with my school. If we were
        all to vacate the positions, there would be NO ASSOCIATION, nothing
        would get done, you wouldn't have insurance, there would be no one
        working on a judging format, contest format, minimum requirements for
        schools and instructors, and the Australian Kitesurfing scene would
        be a lost sport when it came to dealing with the authorities, like
        the Victorian Waterways incident. Ie. We would be a joke
        internationally. As it stands, to my knowledge, the AKSA is the most
        proffessional, most organised association of it's type in the world.
        I can make this statement with a fair amount of certainty, after
        speaking with the President of the HKA (Hawaiian Kitesurfing
        Association) who believed they were well organised until I spoke to
        them about what we had done in Oz, they were amazed at our progress
        and organisation. Also impressed was Eric Beaudonnat from Wipika
        when he visited us in January, he was trying to assist in setting up
        a worldwide association and found we were also most organised, and
        Eric travels the world dealing with aassociations and schools as his
        job!

        People like you who sit back, doing nothing but criticise the hard
        working efforts of others, because you have a personal grudge or
        whatever, really should be ashamed of yourself. Steve and the rest
        of the committee work tirelessly on the AKSA. Steve also is holding
        down two positions, (Secretary and Treasurer) because our treasurer
        never showed. I have been watching out for all kitesurfers to ensure
        that there is no bias, or commercial gain coming from the involvement
        of those in office who have comm. interests, and to date I have seen
        nothing which would cause me concern, during my time as President.

        Do you know that each and every committee member devotes around 3 hrs
        of their own personal time, to meetings EVERY WEEK, so that people
        like you can enjoy the benefits of their work? This time is just the
        time for meetings. Steve also takes time out of his commercial day
        to go to the bank, run errands, visit government authorities, and
        along with Paul C, made a trip to Victoria to sort out the mess made
        by others so that people they have never met, can enjoy their beach
        access, in places where they never kitesurf.

        You and people like you really make me angry. What have you done for
        the sport of kitesurfing? I don't recall seeing you putting up your
        hand at any meetings to devote your personal time to help the sport
        grow in a controlled and proffessional manner. I apologise for my
        unproffessional outburst, but see it from our point of view.

        We are putting together state chapters, which can then run their own
        affairs and we can then bow out of the national association, which
        will be made up of spokespersons from each state. Does this sound
        fair to you? Each state chapter will be the group unto which local
        clubs will join to speak about their local issues. This is the most
        unbiased and democratic structure we can put together so that every
        persons voice is heard and the structure is in place to push the
        sport into the next ten years and further.

        We do have strong support from a small handful of individuals in some
        states willing to start putting things together in their local area
        to get the new structure off the ground, and to these people I and
        the committee members, I say thank you.

        Let me also tell you, 12 months ago when I used to send out the
        newsletter to all members via email, I would get NO RESPONSE from 70
        recipients, even after a call to respond with a reply, just to make
        sure my email was working I would get 1 or 2 replies. This shows the
        general level of apathy in the Australian kitesurfing community.
        Typical, no one says a word or lifts a finger to help, the committee
        work hard and then those that enjoy the fruits of the committees
        labour sit around whinging and accusing of conflict of interest?
        Wake up to yourself. Now who's credability is looking shaky?

        Thanks and sorry to all the persons who do care and make an effort.
        My personal thanks also go out to my fellow AKSA committee members
        who are at home in the cold, not kitesurfing and still working
        tirelessly in my absence. My hat is off to you blokes.

        MAHALO!

        Darren Marshall
        Founding President, Australian Kite Surfing Association.
        And Owner Operator of Australian Kiteboarding School

      • Jeremy H
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
          Smart words from Darren!!

          The only thing he forgot to mention -
          Steve McCormack can be addressed as "PAPA KITE" as he is
          knowledgeable about all kites and kitesurfing related matters.
          He is known locally (in Sydney) by this name!

          Jeremy H

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
            --- In kitesurf@y..., darrenthepres@h... wrote:
            > Aloha Aruzer,(Reply)Hi Darren
            >
            > Thanks for bringing this up mate. Yes you are correct, normally a
            > person with commercial interests is usually barred from holding
            > office in a public association.

            (Reply from Aruzer) That is correct.Well DO Something about it.

            Most people would do the walk of shame..But look what Steve
            posted..Instructions to Shut UP, from him
            not even the President. It looked hostile ..(brazen? Confident?
            Obviously he is in Total Control of the AKSA) and sadly you have
            allowed yourselves to become comprimised, complicit, and to accept
            the untoward situation because.........

            it's convenient,better to have something...... than nothing.

            Kinda like Like The reaction you get from a guy with from a beautiful
            wife he wants to keep when he tries to justiy her sleeping
            around. "Look !! She
            keeps the house clean. I don't have to do it and it allows me more
            time to kitesurf...." How dare you bring that up. We're not supposed
            to talk about that... or when you're caught in a gay pub by your mates
            because " I went to school with him"

            I'd hoped for something more honest than a hostile reply, may be
            something like.. "yeah it's not good is it? We made a mistake but
            that's only a short term appointment till we get the AKSA up and
            running to a level where it can be squeaky clean." Just give us time."

            (R)Please tell me I'm wrong?

            > This was brought up at the First General Meeting when the committee
            > was elected at the Georges River Sailing Club almost a year ago. I
            > had very strong concerns about persons with commercial interests
            > being on the committee.

            >(R)None ever should

            > During the election of the committee, I raised this point with the
            > members who sat in and voted and it was agreed unanimously, that we
            > would allow these exceptions.

            (R)WRONG nice atmosphere,nice guys,keen to get anything going so you
            comprimise your principles... Better to have waited and found 6
            other members. Not every member is in business surely !!!! The
            groundwork for the AKSA deserved better than that.

            > Now let me tell you, when I first took over the group of members
            from
            > Ian Young some 16 or 18 months ago, there was NO support, NO
            interest
            > and NO help from anyone but a few dedicated individuals who saw the
            > importance of getting a solid, proffessional, association up and
            off
            > the ground.

            (R)Oh That was in 2000 BK (Before Kitesurfing) None existed before
            then?
            Ian and others had in fact done quite a lot.True?

            (R) Guys from WA were not even invited to Attend.
            Maybe the name should be "The AKSA (Except WA) Inc.

            There was a clear, dire need to gain PL insurance, and
            > all the committee pulled hard together to acheive the great policy
            we
            > currently enjoy. (And pay for)

            (R) Could have been contracted out to Steve, He would still have done
            it I'm sure even if he wasn't the Sec/Treasurer ????

            > The committee is made up of 8 persons, 6 of whom have commercial
            > interests in the sport including myself with my school. If we were
            > all to vacate the positions, there would be NO ASSOCIATION, nothing
            > would get done, you wouldn't have insurance, there would be no one
            > working on a judging format, contest format, minimum requirements
            for
            > schools and instructors, and the Australian Kitesurfing scene would
            > be a lost sport when it came to dealing with the authorities, like
            > the Victorian Waterways incident.

            (R)
            In dealing with organisations like waterways you should declare
            whether you are a public organisation of just a group of self seeking
            businesmen. Of course that isn't the case but if it is you should
            disband your articles of Association (You have them) and reregister
            as a private company.

            Ie. We would be a joke
            > internationally. As it stands, to my knowledge, the AKSA is the
            most
            > proffessional, most organised association of it's type in the
            world.

            (R) respect is something that is acheived not assumed. You will take
            this matter in hand and fix it. You can hardly sweep it under the
            carpet or be told to "Shut up about it" Then you will have
            credibility.

            > I can make this statement with a fair amount of certainty, after
            > speaking with the President of the HKA (Hawaiian Kitesurfing
            > Association) who believed they were well organised until I spoke to
            > them about what we had done in Oz, they were amazed at our progress
            > and organisation. Also impressed was Eric Beaudonnat from Wipika
            > when he visited us in January, he was trying to assist in setting
            up
            > a worldwide association and found we were also most organised, and
            > Eric travels the world dealing with aassociations and schools as
            his
            > job!

            > (R)Go Go eric, Standard Reply (the Commercial) follows below from
            Darren

            > People like you who sit back, doing nothing but criticise the hard
            > working efforts of others, because you have a personal grudge or
            > whatever, really should be ashamed of yourself. Steve and the rest
            > of the committee work tirelessly on the AKSA. Steve also is
            holding
            > down two positions, (Secretary and Treasurer) because our treasurer
            > never showed.

            (R) Hold Elections then

            I have been watching out for all kitesurfers to ensure
            > that there is no bias, or commercial gain coming from the
            involvement
            > of those in office who have comm. interests, and to date I have
            seen
            > nothing which would cause me concern, during my time as President.

            (R) Big Brother eh? wink wink. A lot can happen when you are
            thousands of miles away.

            > Do you know that each and every committee member devotes around 3
            hrs
            > of their own personal time, to meetings EVERY WEEK, so that people
            > like you can enjoy the benefits of their work? This time is just
            the
            > time for meetings. Steve also takes time out of his commercial day
            > to go to the bank, run errands, visit government authorities, and
            > along with Paul C, made a trip to Victoria to sort out the mess
            made
            > by others so that people they have never met,
            can enjoy their beach
            > access, in places where they never kitesurf.

            (R) You have done this for me? Darren now gets upwind (Below)

            > You and people like you really make me angry. What have you done
            for
            > the sport of kitesurfing? I don't recall seeing you putting up
            your
            > hand at any meetings to devote your personal time to help the sport
            > grow in a controlled and proffessional manner. I apologise for my
            > unproffessional outburst, but see it from our point of view.
            >
            > We are putting together state chapters, which can then run their
            own
            > affairs and we can then bow out of the national association, which
            > will be made up of spokespersons from each state. Does this sound
            > fair to you? Each state chapter will be the group unto which local
            > clubs will join to speak about their local issues. This is the
            most
            > unbiased and democratic structure we can put together so that every
            > persons voice is heard and the structure is in place to push the
            > sport into the next ten years and further.
            >
            > We do have strong support from a small handful of individuals in
            some
            > states willing to start putting things together in their local area
            > to get the new structure off the ground, and to these people I and
            > the committee members, I say thank you.
            >
            > Let me also tell you, 12 months ago when I used to send out the
            > newsletter to all members via email, I would get NO RESPONSE from
            70
            > recipients, even after a call to respond with a reply, just to make
            > sure my email was working I would get 1 or 2 replies. This shows
            the
            > general level of apathy in the Australian kitesurfing community.

            > Typical, no one says a word or lifts a finger to help, the
            committee
            > work hard and then those that enjoy the fruits of the committees
            > labour sit around whinging and accusing of conflict of interest?
            > Wake up to yourself. Now who's credability is looking shaky?

            (R) Whats New, it's like our cricket club, but we are not whingeing.
            At least our Chairman doesn't own the Sports Shop.

            > Thanks and sorry to all the persons who do care and make an effort.

            (R) To buy product from us.

            > My personal thanks also go out to my fellow AKSA committee members
            > who are at home in the cold, not kitesurfing and still working
            > tirelessly in my absence. My hat is off to you blokes.
            >

            > MAHALO!
            >
            > Darren Marshall
            > Founding President, Australian Kite Surfing Association.
            > And Owner Operator of Australian Kiteboarding School

            CHECKLIST Sec/Treasurer web site with competition with no T/C permit
            Raffle on Reg premises no permit.
            Hope the Insurance deal has no similar oversights....

            Cheers,
            aruzer

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
              ---Jeremy, thanks for braving the embargo
              No this is not about whether Steve is well liked.
              I'm sure he is
              It's about the foundations of kitesurfing in Australia being built on
              foundations that we can all respect.
              To have our peak association enjoying total credibility
              Surely Darren and all the committee members
              AND MEMBERDS
              we would all like that

              Aruzer

            • kitemanic@yahoo.co.uk
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
                Yo Steve, sounds like you got some professional computer-kite-
                slanderer-nerds on your ass! Well you said you wouldnt get caught up
                in this stuff after the last thread, so let's see you do just that.
                Like you said they're just trolling, obviously.
                lates,
                DREW

                aruzer, very warrior like name, must be tuff! :P
                if aruzer put half as much energy into writing funny posts then he'd
                probably be able to surpass tODD with ease...

              • dave@machelp.com.au
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
                  Yo Drew, sounds like you might put your hand up for an AKSA position.
                  Maybe a position as committee member for wakeboard moves. ;-)

                  Seriously though, this issue has come come up before in my experience.
                  As a member of a number of sports, community and business groups, the
                  fact that I run businesses that can possibly be seen as a conflict of
                  interest in these groups when I take an executive position has caused a
                  problem with other members. This has at least once led to those
                  opposing my position to either leave the group or refuse to participate
                  in its operation.

                  From my perspective I would have been happy to support other capable
                  persons to make themselves available for election. But as often happens
                  there are few who wish to take on the positions on the executive of a
                  committee knowing there is work involved. It is often easier to
                  criticise the result than volunteer to work for changes you see as
                  worthwhile.

                  I constantly sought feedback to ensure that I didn't exploit my
                  position on the committee. However I must admit that by just being on
                  the executive was good for business. It gave me a higher profile and
                  publicity as well as making useful contacts I would otherwise not
                  easily made. But ultimately when the position became available at the
                  AGM I was re-elected which I believed was a vote of support that I was
                  fulfilling my obligations with due diligence.

                  However the conflict of interest issue never dies and is constantly
                  raised by those who disagree with the committee whether it is true or
                  not. Unfortunately it is the perception of conflict of interest that is
                  all that is needed to fuel the issue, not proof of its occurence. It
                  can lead to general disunity right through to formation of rival groups
                  all seeking the same members.

                  But in support of commercial executive members, such as myself in my
                  organisations and the many of the AKSA committee, they often have more
                  incentive to perform than the average member as their livelihoods are
                  more dependent on the success of the sport and its access to venues.
                  They also tend to have extensive and varied business knowledge which is
                  an essential component in running a not for profit organisation
                  nowadays. (At least that's the case in Australia!) It would be ideal if
                  our organisations had executive members who were competent lawyers,
                  accountants, company directors etc but that's usually wishful thinking
                  and just filling the main committee positions can be such a struggle
                  that sometimes two positions have to be filled by one person.

                  I'm sure that the AKSA and other similar organisations have the
                  required mechanisms for dispute resolution by members. And Internet
                  groups such as this certainly give the opportunity for greivances to be
                  aired.

                  However if you are would rather just complain than put your hand up to
                  do the work of an executive member or offer some equally valued service
                  to the organisation, don't expect a great deal of respect.

                  Anyway have fun kitesurfing and yes we are short of wind in Australia
                  so expect us to be a bit terse at the moment :-)

                  Dave (Dr Surf Australia 02 4443 7665) COM

                • Greg Walsh
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
                    Commercial operator not allowed to be office bearers in associations?
                    What a concept. We'd better tell the board of the HGFA and the GFA
                    and just about every other sporting association in Oz to resign.

                    Pity. I'm certainly not going to volunteer to do committee work. I
                    just pay my membership, get my insurance and t-shirt and get on with
                    doing what I want to do. If a commercial operator wants to do all the
                    work good for them. I can't think of anyone better qualified to run
                    an association than someone who's living may be directly related to
                    the success of the venture. Hunger and mortagages really focus the
                    mind don't you think? Keep up the good work, don't rip us off and
                    don't fuck up. If you do we'll exact the ultimate revenge. We'll
                    ignore you and go kitesurfing.
                  • darrenthepres@hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 1, 2001
                      Hey Aruzer,

                      I'm sorry, I knew the wind situation in Australia was desperate, but
                      jeez, I had no idea it had become so bad.

                      I recommend taking two asprin and getting a flight to somewhere windy
                      and spend a few days kiting, then come see me again if your pain
                      doesn't go away.

                      At least if you take the trip, our pain will go away. ;~)

                      I pray for wind for you,

                      Darren Marshall
                      President AKSA

                      (This is my final post on this thread)

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 2, 2001
                        Darren,
                        Well that's right. No doubt you and the guys having had
                        that situation brought to your attention will work
                        to attract
                        new members from a non business background.
                        I would suggest you extend your committee to 12
                        (appoint 6 Non Biz 6 Biz (healthy Mix)
                        That's 4 more committee members. I also think that
                        it should be the AKANZ.)Why not open and extend membership to
                        New Zealanders?
                        Could be good
                        aruzer

                      • TIM MELLOR
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 3, 2001
                          Dear Mr RUZER,

                          stop trying to stir the pot, do the smart thing at the next AGM and get you
                          and all of your good mates to stand against the EVIL commercial sponsors and
                          promoters of Kitesurfing in this Country. When you have suckseeded in your
                          attempt then try and approach the same people for sponsorship and see how
                          far you get!!!! I think you will find over time even though it may have been
                          instigated and run by commercial interests others will eventually finish up
                          running it, we have enough to do in running a business! Just out of interest
                          who are you really? Are you a commercial operator in disguise just beating
                          up your competition?

                          Regards :-)))

                          Tim Mellor
                          Kite-House

                          PS The wind here also SUCKS big time 1-3 Knots.