[ksurf] Re: SF Bay locations

  • Eric Steinbroner
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 22, 1998
      Where do people kitesurf in the SF Bay area? The bay itself is fairly
      > crowded with windsurfers, boats, ferrys, etc. Traditional windsurf
      > spots (Crissy, Candlestick, 3rd Ave, etc.) also don't have the
      > greatest facilities for setup and recovery. I was thinking about
      > coastal areas such as Half Moon Bay and some of the beaches south of
      > Santa Cruz. Any suggestions?
      > Ken Maskrey
      >
      > Ken:

      I like 3rd because it's side/on wind. Good parking lot, and rigging areas. If you're a beginner, there are 3 beaches to land on downwind. The walk back is OK because there is the bike path. There are windsurfers (about 200 on a good day, but the Bay is a big place). No barges, ferries, etc....

      Crissy is bad because of all of the boat traffic and strong currents.

      Candlestick is good but the wind is offshore. Just make sure you can go upwind. We've done downwinders from Candlestick to 3rd. (Kitesurf Worlds in '95 and '96) Cory's time for this 8 to 10 miler was in the twenties. The rest of us were about 30 minutes.

      The other place I love to go (only on an ebb tide) is Sherman Island in Rio Vista. You've got to deal with the rocks, but most launches have sandbags. It's very Gorge like with similar wind and wave conditions. I usually use my smaller kite here. The ebb tide is strong so going upwind is a piece of cake. If you want to, you can sail downwind and let the current take you back.

      Let's hook up next time you go sailing.

      Eric

      -----
      See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/kitesurf/?start=328