Replace worn Naish chicken loop line

  • Greg Walsh
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2001
      How do you replace the line on a Naish chicken loop? The loop and its
      webbing and ball looks pretty permanent. Do you have to make a new
      loop as well as replace the line?
    • Kitepower
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2001
        Hi Greg

        You can buy a new loop and grey line, we have them in stock $19.95aus. You
        could probaly find some rope to replace it with though, for nothing.
        Cya and
        Goodwinds
        Steve McCormack
        www.kitepower.com.au
        open 7 days
        126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
        Phone +61293157894

        Subject: [ksurf] Replace worn Naish chicken loop line

      • cglazier@home.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2001
          --- In kitesurf@y..., "Greg Walsh" <gregwal@e...> wrote:
          > How do you replace the line on a Naish chicken loop? The loop and
          its
          > webbing and ball looks pretty permanent. Do you have to make a new
          > loop as well as replace the line?

          Greg
          I had trouble with a bad Naish ARX bar that wore out my chicken loop
          line after 2 days, but they replaced the whole bar for me. The new
          one seems much better.
          Before I got the replacement, I rigged a Cabrina style fitting on the
          old ARX bar and it worked very well. I used some line, some plastic
          tubing from an old windsurfing harness line, and plastic stopper balls
          from my local mairine store. There's a picture in the Files area
          under "ARX bar modification"
          You don't need to use the Cabrina (Spinlock WL/1) fitting if you
          prefer the smaller hole through the Naish bar.
          Chris Glazier
        • Greg Walsh
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2001
            Yep. Got plenty of bits of spectra laying about. It's just that the
            actual chicken loop looks to be spliced with webbing sewn on and the
            plastic bead. I assume at the trim strap end I just cut off the grey
            rope and tie on the new bit.

            At the chicken loop end I was wondering if there was a magic way of
            getting the loop off and attaching it to the new piece of rope. Seems
            to me there isn't. It looks like the only way is to replace the whole
            piece including the loop. Very clever design to make a chicken loop
            that wears and not make it able to be replaced easily.

            This is just deperado stuff on my part. With our crap winds of late I
            need to sail in anything that blows. Unfortunately I still use the
            standard Naish bar on my 7.5 AR5. It's a tad disconcerting to watch
            the few remaining mm of rope being sawn through as the wind gusts
            between 15-25 knots. I've got the materials to make a new short,
            never-ever-wear-out bar. I've just got to spend the time and do it.

            Greg

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/