Re: Let's Compare Light Wind Boards

  • traigtrumbo@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2001
      Hey Dwight: Yeah, long boards are fun. After putting straps on every
      long board surfboard I could get my hands on about a year and a half
      ago here are the conclusions I came to. A three fin thruster style
      (even fins, no box) with a pulled nose and essentially a nine foot
      light weight (four oz glass) version of a classic directional
      kiteboard shape works the best. One of those longboards that is truly
      a crapy long board for riding the nose unless you weigh about 5
      pounds. Ken Bradshaw put out a whole bunch of them through machine
      milling here in Malibu a few years back and they all hit the used
      market do to their lousy riding quality. Ended up to be the best kite
      longboard I had tried. Put straps in the same old measurements as on
      all the short board surfboards we converted. Front foot just at or
      was it in front of center just a tad. I was having such a blast on it
      when there was no wind to speak of, one of the wealthy locals just had
      to have it and there it sits in his garage next to the other spit
      polished and unused stacks of other excelent sport gear and stuffed
      (taxydermist) third wife. Wish I still had one. (nine foot board not
      third wife) Think there must have been at least one layer of six on
      the top with the four as I was a hack and it took a bit of a beating.
      Definetly a thinner outline with nice thin rails and enough rocker to
      pull that endless nose out of the oncoming waves. Make sure to
      stencil on the foot diagrams like dance steps on a ballroom floor so
      your friends can learn to jibe or do the lombada on it. Have fun. No
      shuffel boarding while kiteting the longboards for you over 80 yo
      Florida kiteboarders. Traig

      > This idea of using a big board to play and surf in light air instead
      of
      > riding a monster kite that only adds 1 or 2 knots to my bottom end
      sounds
      > very appealing.
      >
      > From the Fisher's Fort
      > Kure Beach, NC
      > Dwight & Jacky
      >
      > http://www.angelfire.com/nc/capefearwindsurfing/ (includes
      kitesurfing)
    • jmullmd@home.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2001
        --- In kitesurf@y..., traigtrumbo@e... wrote:
        > Hey Dwight: Yeah, long boards are fun. After putting straps on every
        > long board surfboard I could get my hands on about a year and a half
        > ago here are the conclusions I came to. A three fin thruster style
        > (even fins, no box) with a pulled nose and essentially a nine foot
        > light weight (four oz glass) version of a classic directional
        > kiteboard shape works the best.... Ended up to be the best kite
        > longboard I had tried.... one of the wealthy locals just had
        > to have it and there it sits in his garage next to the other spit
        > polished and unused stacks of other excelent sport gear and stuffed
        > (taxydermist) third wife.

        Hey Traig,

        Geez, that wealthy local's garage sounds like quite a waste, all that
        vintage sports equipment gathering dust.

        Ever think about a set of footstraps on the third wife? Would mounting
        them (or her) be difficult?

        John
      • adlamont@bigpond.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 20, 2001
          --- In kitesurf@y..., "Dwight & Jacky" <fishersfort@a...> wrote:
          I have an RRD 7'2"that I have used in light winds for the past 5
          months I normally us it with a 16 free air but I have also found it
          to be excellent with a smaller kite in big surf
          The design of this board is awesome. Last week I was out in a gusty
          westerly from 6 to 20 knots, the size of the board kept me planing
          through the lulls and the superb design allowed me to handle th 20kt
          gusts with my 16m.
          I own a kitesurf school on the gold coast and have had the
          opportunity to ride most of the production and a quite a few custom
          boards around the 7' mark. THe RRD7'2" is definately the best I have
          tried.
          THe RRD has softer rails and less fin area than most of the others
          and has a rocker line that seems to be just right.
          In lighter winds I ride with my back foot out of the strap and closer
          to my front foot.
          Cheers
          Andy

          > OK lets here about what light winds boards people have tried. There
          is an
          > F-One called the Cheater 198 designed for just what we've been
          talking
          > about.
          >
          > I know from last year the big Naish boards worked well in light
          winds and
          > went upwind well in those light winds. I seem to recall they were
          heavy and
          > wider than most. Does anybody remember? All the big boards have
          been purged
          > from our beaches.
          >
          > Looking around I noticed RRD has a 7'2 that is wide like Naish.
          Anybody
          > ridden it? I have seen the smaller RRD boards and they are very
          light.

          > I learned on a heavy polyester 7'2 Cabrinha that was narrower than
          Naish. I

        • ajtaskov@ozemail.com.au
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 20, 2001
            Hi Andy
            I agree with what you have said about the performance of the RRD 7'2"
            in the 15 knots and under. I am a heavy weight and use it with a
            1120+840 Arc stack from 10 knots up. With the fins setup that it has
            it does have a nice loose feel but will still edge hard with the soft
            rails fine rails.
            I also sailed that westerly on saturday up at Bribie Island southern
            end with onshore wind and flat water in the channel we had a blast.
            Tight strings
            Alex.

          • Drew
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 20, 2001
              Hey Alex/Andy,
              there seems like a lot of westerly/southwesterly winds in autumn on
              the goldy & around brissy, I thought they were just days missed, but
              looking at a map if you had a small boat it looks like there could be
              some nice spots on the inside of south stradbroke Island. SW would
              be side shore and W would be side onshore. It would still probably
              be gusty, but SW would have a really big reach right up the
              broadwater... and at least there's not the chance of watching your
              kites blow out to see forever. Either of you thought of this?
              Doesnt really matter now we're coming into september we should get
              some northerlies pretty soon

              lates,
              Drew.

            • ajtaskov@ozemail.com.au
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 21, 2001
                Drew
                The best approach if you want to make good the strong SW & Westerly
                winds that we get this time of year is to get away from the coast and
                to look at sailing the islands of Moreton Bay (Moreton, Bribie &
                Stradbroke islands). Try to find a area of beach that is on the
                western side and has plenty of distance off the coast. Moreton &
                Bribie islands have the best conditions that the our local kite
                sailors have found this year.
                Bribie island southern end can be reached by car as the island has a
                bridge and has two great sailing spots but they are tide dependant.
                To get to Moreton is a bit of trip as you have to catch the ferry
                from Redcliffe in the morning and return by late afternoon. The trip
                each way take 2 hours which we spend watching kite surfing videos,
                drinking & eating from the canteen on board. When you arrive on the
                island you walk off the ferry and rig up next to it and sail the rest
                of the day with steady onshore wind which is always stronger than on
                the coast. The catch to all this is the place is SHARKY.
                Tight strings
                Alex.

              • Drew
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 21, 2001
                  sweet as tho, it always seems to be offshore thru winter.
                  I'm actually still in canberra but I'll be up the goldy within a few
                  days... it shouldnt be too much of an issue anymore cuz hopefully
                  we'll start getting the northerlies. but definitely something to
                  remember for next year. A tinnie with a 25 would come in handy,
                  chuck some gear in and take off to somewhere up south straddie.
                  Moreton would be the pick but a bit of a journey from gold coast.
                  thanks for info anyways,