Re: [ksurf] Light wind...monstah board !

  • Stefano Rosso
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
      > <<Good luck with your board project Stefano. You may start a new fad, monster
      > long boards for light winds!

      he he he... its like all sports ... we started with big boards (remember
      the FONE´s ? 215 and 230) we used to think a 215 was for high winds...
      then we now ride 1.4 m wakeboards... then we go back to longboards !
      except that like all other product cycles in kitesurfing this is much
      quicker... we went forth and back in 2 years !

      > Lou Wainman used to go out on his longboard on light days about 18 months ago, looked like a lot of fun!

      I have been riding longboards and funboards a lot on light days... very
      technical and better than just flying your kite on the beach... you can
      actually get some good wave riding done (long board style) with a kite
      if the wind direction is right... jumps were tough because i didnt have
      any straps... thats why i want to make a special kitelongboard...

      I just bought a foam block (8"10) today and will shape it tomorrow...
      then have it glassed... maybe 4 thruster type fins (2 on each rail!)
      flat rocker... dome deck to have volume yet thin rails...

      ill send pictures when its done...
    • kitesrfer@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
        stefano.rosso@... writes:

        << > <<Good luck with your board project Stefano. You may start a new fad,
        monster
        > long boards for light winds!

        he he he... its like all sports ... we started with big boards (remember
        the FONE´s ? 215 and 230) we used to think a 215 was for high winds...
        then we now ride 1.4 m wakeboards... then we go back to longboards !
        except that like all other product cycles in kitesurfing this is much
        quicker... we went forth and back in 2 years !

        I bet your lightwind board will be a lot floatier than the old F one 230 cm
        boards. As I recall it was intended for lighter winds or heavier
        kitesurfers. Hopefully, your rails will be parallel over a great percentage
        of the board length so it will edge much better than the old 230s.
        Seriously, with lighter summer winds coming to certain areas, I think
        longboards should be reevaluated for kitesurfing. They should allow a lot of
        folks to go out and speed along without wallowing in and out of planning
        conditions. Now all you have to do is to integrate removable planning foils
        and you will have an all wind board!

        Have fun,
        Rick
      • Kitepower
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2001
          Stefano wrote:

          . jumps were tough because i didnt have
          any straps... thats why i want to make a special kitelongboard...

          Jumping is not that hard, landing back on the board is though!! :-))
          Big boards rock in bug fart winds!
          Cya and
          Goodwinds
          Steve McCormack
          www.kitepower.com.au
          open 7 days
          126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
          Phone +61293157894
        • Greg Walsh
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 3, 2001
            My 2 cents worth. I think big boards are fine for cruising about and
            maybe using the kite for catching the odd wave. If the wind is so
            light you need to get out on a big board then you're going to be
            underpowered and jumping is not really going to be a serious issue.
            So you don't need any foot straps unless you're in waves. It's hard
            to keep your feet against the board while you water start if the
            waves are constantly knoccking you about. Not a problem in flat water.

            If you're powered up enough to juump and stuff then you're powered up
            enough to use a normal, relatively short kiteboard.

            On my 8'10" longboard I just put on a decent coat of wax, jump on and
            go. Edging is dead easy because you just stand right on the rail. You
            need to be able to move your feet around a bit because during lulls
            you want to get you weight back over the middle of the board and the
            easiest way to do this is to walk. Think longboard surfing. I'm
            always walking back and forth on the board to trim it properly and
            milk the power out of tiny waves. The same thing happens when using a
            kite.

            You also have to be wary of gusts. It's easy to be moving your weight
            forward trying to keep planing and then a gust or ctaching the nose
            on some chop takes you straight over the nose. It's not hard to get
            going again but half the fun of longboard kitesurfing is the self-
            awarded style points for being out there with any old crap board and
            kite.
          • Stefano Rosso
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 4, 2001
              > I bet your lightwind board will be a lot floatier than the old F one 230 cm
              > boards. As I recall it was intended for lighter winds or heavier
              > kitesurfers. Hopefully, your rails will be parallel over a great percentage
              > of the board length so it will edge much better than the old 230s.
              > Seriously, with lighter summer winds coming to certain areas, I think
              > longboards should be reevaluated for kitesurfing. They should allow a lot of
              > folks to go out and speed along without wallowing in and out of planning
              > conditions. Now all you have to do is to integrate removable planning foils
              > and you will have an all wind board!

              shaped it this weekend - startem with an 8:10 foam balnk - cut it to 8.5
              (Square tail... rails are parallel and boxy - lots of volume - reduced
              the rocker)

              gonna get it laminated and i am thinking a rear longboard fin and 4
              forward FCS fins (so i can play around)
            • Stefano Rosso
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 4, 2001

                > Jumping is not that hard, landing back on the board is though!! :-))

                actually a few times i landed on the board... ON MY BACK !
              • Stefano Rosso
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 6, 2001
                  Greg Walsh wrote:

                  > My 2 cents worth. I think big boards are fine for cruising about and
                  > maybe using the kite for catching the odd wave. If the wind is so
                  > light you need to get out on a big board then you're going to be
                  > underpowered and jumping is not really going to be a serious issue.
                  > So you don't need any foot straps unless you're in waves.

                  YEAH !! thats why i need foostraps - <10 knots and 1-2 meter waves !

                  It's hard
                  > to keep your feet against the board while you water start if the
                  > waves are constantly knoccking you about. Not a problem in flat water.

                  yep... thats why you avoid falling as hard as possible

                  > If you're powered up enough to juump and stuff then you're powered up
                  > enough to use a normal, relatively short kiteboard.

                  not really... all kitelongboarding i have done kept me planing in winds
                  a shortboard would have sunk...

                  > On my 8'10" longboard I just put on a decent coat of wax, jump on and
                  > go. Edging is dead easy because you just stand right on the rail. You
                  > need to be able to move your feet around a bit because during lulls
                  > you want to get you weight back over the middle of the board and the
                  > easiest way to do this is to walk. Think longboard surfing. I'm
                  > always walking back and forth on the board to trim it properly and
                  > milk the power out of tiny waves. The same thing happens when using a
                  > kite.

                  thats why i am thinking of having a few straps on each side - maybe 4 on
                  each side ?

                  > You also have to be wary of gusts. It's easy to be moving your weight
                  > forward trying to keep planing and then a gust or ctaching the nose
                  > on some chop takes you straight over the nose. It's not hard to get
                  > going again but half the fun of longboard kitesurfing is the self-
                  > awarded style points for being out there with any old crap board and
                  > kite.

                  think a longboard ESPECIALLY designed for kitesurfing... less rocker
                  hard rails... i shaped mine... ill let you know how it goes.
                • Tim
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 6, 2001
                    >think a longboard ESPECIALLY designed for kitesurfing... less rocker hard
                    rails... i shaped mine... ill let you know how it goes.<

                    I have a 9'0" eps blank lying around, I could get a nice 8'6" out of it. I
                    think I'll shape one too. I was thinking of stepping the rails on the deck
                    to thin them out, while keeping volume in the center for float.
                  • Stefano Rosso
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 7, 2001
                      > I have a 9'0" eps blank lying around, I could get a nice 8'6" out of it. I
                      > think I'll shape one too. I was thinking of stepping the rails on the deck
                      > to thin them out, while keeping volume in the center for float.

                      i thought that at first to... but then i said VOLUME IS GOOD ! so i kept
                      all the damn volume i could ! if yougive me 1 month i can let you know
                      if it works...
                    • ryansurf1@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 23, 2001
                        I must agree with the dialouge this string has generated. Just
                        wanted to comment about stepping the rails. I think the board would
                        edge better, but by cutting the rail you would need to sik the rail
                        further before the water would see the volume. This may defeat the
                        purpose. The water does not feel the volume until it sees the
                        volume. The board could be a foot thick in the middle and it
                        wouldn't add to the volume of the board, becasue the water doesn't
                        see it.

                        I also have been ridding a 8'2" surfboard. No straps. Normally
                        don't need casue ya aint jumpn in light wind anyway, and waves here
                        are normally small in light wind summer. I walk around alot on the
                        board according to wind and lulls. I feel straps would be a
                        hidderance. I Just don't like having to lug around this huge board
                        in my car. I think alot of the length and volume is wasted. When i
                        am cruising standing near the back of the board atleast the front 1
                        1/2 feet of board is seen by the water.

                        If you could design a board twin tip style and stand at the middle i
                        am sure you could reduce the length greatly. I think 6'6" 18/20" in
                        the middle and 2" thick would float my 175 pound ass. Has anybody
                        made a large twinny? I read some of you had blanks. Where can i get
                        blanks? I live in the Florida. I was thinking like 1 1/2" rocker
                        front and back. No clue about the bottom. Should it be flat, or
                        have some v, or concave? Anyone?