[ksurf] Re: Kitesurfing upwind myth?

  • speleopower@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 1999
      <377d7ab9.705-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=3211
      > I went out kitesurfing today and by the end of the last session (1.5 - 2
      > hours) I was a mile upwind (could be more) from where I started. I did
      > not trying to stay upwind. I was just having fun. I think it's about
      > time we should drop the "kitesurfing upwind myth" that it is very
      > difficult to stay upwind.
      >
      > The equipment I used was not the "top-of-the-line" either. I used an
      > "old" Wipika 5.0 m2 (model 97 or 98) and an "old" FOne 230 (model 97 or
      > 98, with a 2 digit serial number).
      >
      > Hung.

      Were you in the surf or flats? I can usually keep even in the flats. I'm on a Quadrifoil with a narrow surfboard. I ended up about 1.5 miles down wind today. Mostly from out running the white water and riding the waves.
      pray for wind

    • Hung Vu
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 1999
        > Were you in the surf or flats? I can usually keep even in the flats. I'm on a Quadrifoil with a narrow surfboard. I ended up about 1.5 miles down wind today. Mostly from out running the white water and riding the waves

        Flat water with 2' chop in 15 to 20 knots. This is the same place that
        I have never been able to go that upwind with my first shortboard
        (Sailboard Master Class 295).

        Hung.

      • Mark Frasier
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 1999
          Hi folks,

          On Hung Vu's site he says:

          "Please note that most of the dead-man safety release system STOP working
          when you are hooking in to your harness. Some of them still allow you to
          disable the kite by "consciously" pulling on some string. If you know of
          any dead-man safety release system that works as a true "dead-man" system
          when you are hooking in, please let me know."

          Peter Lynn has, for quite a while, made deadman handles for two line kites.
          The lines are attached to the handles by pins. If the grip is released, the
          pins come out and the kite floats away, even if the handles are still
          ":hooked in" or attched to the harness. That means you must always hold
          both handles. There is no line that keeps the kite attched after the pins
          are released... the kite just goes! I guess you could attach an
          intermediary line that would keep you from having to swim, but some kites
          will keep flying uncontrolably if they are attached by even one line (for
          example, my Sputnik will keep flying if I drop one of the handles). There
          was also someone on rec.kites that had a similar system for 4 line kites,
          but I don't think it's in production.

          There si a small picture here:
          http://www.vliegerop.nl/peterlynn/pictures/PAQR00.jpg .... from Vlieger Op
          kite store.

          Mark Frasier

        • srosso@bunge.com.br
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 5, 1999
            I agree - this weekend i was sailing a 5.0 wipika on 30 m lines in 1 meter
            plus of waves and i was making my way upwind (not 1 mile but about 50
            meters every time i came back in...

            I also tried the WAVE 7.2 this weekend - way overpowered (i switched to the
            wipika 5.0 !) - but incredible kite - here is my test report

            - incredible upwind - even though i was way overpowered
            - good control in overpowered conditions - did not try and drag my but
            downwind
            - relaunch is pretty good - I was flying it in 2 line mode and relaunched
            it 4 times (it had fallen because it luffed in the gusty wind) - the 5th
            time it got hit by 1 m shore break - it drank some water and stayed down (I
            think if i had it in 4 lines i would have been easily able to save it)
            - resistance to shore break OK (it finally got the kite stuck in the water
            eventually)

            - only negative point is that i always have a hard time inflating it - tips
            anyone ?
            - also - after it drank water - it is not quick to get the water out
            beacuse of the valves on the vents (but eventually i figured out a
            technique)

            stefano

            20 knots with 1 m waves for all of sunday ! HAHAHAH !!!

          • Rolf Joosten
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 5, 1999
              > - only negative point is that i always have a hard time inflating it - tips
              > anyone ?

              I don´t exactly know the Wave, but the F-ONE is a similar kite. Best thing to
              do is, just lay it out downwind on its back and put some sand at the trailing
              edge.
              Go to the bar and pull the lines slightly, so it takes some air, by just
              holding it in this position. After it has filled with some air, just pump the
              lines hard one time, to get it off the ground. then just pump it some more
              times, to fill it completely.
              As the kite is not fully inflated, when it takes off, it will not drag you,
              although you started it downwind.
              This is in my opinion the best and safest way to start our F-ONE kites.

              Irie and fly high

              Rolf
              Club Mistral Barbados

            • Michel Montmigny
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 13, 1999
                srosso@... wrote:

                > I agree - this weekend i was sailing a 5.0 wipika on 30 m lines in 1 meter
                > plus of waves and i was making my way upwind (not 1 mile but about 50
                > meters every time i came back in...
                >
                > I also tried the WAVE 7.2 this weekend - way overpowered (i switched to the
                > wipika 5.0 !) - but incredible kite - here is my test report
                >
                > - incredible upwind - even though i was way overpowered
                > - good control in overpowered conditions - did not try and drag my but
                > downwind
                > - relaunch is pretty good - I was flying it in 2 line mode and relaunched
                > it 4 times (it had fallen because it luffed in the gusty wind) - the 5th
                > time it got hit by 1 m shore break - it drank some water and stayed down (I
                > think if i had it in 4 lines i would have been easily able to save it)
                > - resistance to shore break OK (it finally got the kite stuck in the water
                > eventually)
                >
                > - only negative point is that i always have a hard time inflating it - tips
                > anyone ?
                > - also - after it drank water - it is not quick to get the water out
                > beacuse of the valves on the vents (but eventually i figured out a
                > technique)
                >
                > stefano
                >
                > 20 knots with 1 m waves for all of sunday ! HAHAHAH !!!

                > [click here]
                > Click Here!
                >
                > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf

                Hello Stephano and all,

                I am very happy that the WAVE 7.2 give you nice time, the best still to
                come.
                You are absolutly right when you say that with four lines you increase a
                lot the chance to relaunche after falling. Here at CONCEPT AIR we do
                suggest the use of four line and we do use our kites in 4 lines
                configuration.

                For sure we know about bars. After buy it people can use it like they
                prefer it.

                To inflate it, a nice and easy way is to put sand on the trailing edge
                and then pull gently on the power lines to make it inflate slowly.

                With four lines and handles, it's so easy...

                It's normal that when you put it in the air, it's not inflate at 100%.
                Then fly it from side to side of the window or put it overhead and let
                the wind make the job.

                About how to get the water out of the kite, Be patient.

                and we are working on an eventual "dumpwater" valve.

                Have nice breeze

                Michel Montminy
                www.conceptair.com