[ksurf] Kitesurfing upwind myth?

  • Hung Vu
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 1999
      I went out kitesurfing today and by the end of the last session (1.5 - 2
      hours) I was a mile upwind (could be more) from where I started. I did
      not trying to stay upwind. I was just having fun. I think it's about
      time we should drop the "kitesurfing upwind myth" that it is very
      difficult to stay upwind.

      The equipment I used was not the "top-of-the-line" either. I used an
      "old" Wipika 5.0 m2 (model 97 or 98) and an "old" FOne 230 (model 97 or
      98, with a 2 digit serial number).

      Hung.

    • speleopower@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 1999
        <377d7ab9.705-@...> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=3211
        > I went out kitesurfing today and by the end of the last session (1.5 - 2
        > hours) I was a mile upwind (could be more) from where I started. I did
        > not trying to stay upwind. I was just having fun. I think it's about
        > time we should drop the "kitesurfing upwind myth" that it is very
        > difficult to stay upwind.
        >
        > The equipment I used was not the "top-of-the-line" either. I used an
        > "old" Wipika 5.0 m2 (model 97 or 98) and an "old" FOne 230 (model 97 or
        > 98, with a 2 digit serial number).
        >
        > Hung.

        Were you in the surf or flats? I can usually keep even in the flats. I'm on a Quadrifoil with a narrow surfboard. I ended up about 1.5 miles down wind today. Mostly from out running the white water and riding the waves.
        pray for wind

      • Hung Vu
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 1999
          > Were you in the surf or flats? I can usually keep even in the flats. I'm on a Quadrifoil with a narrow surfboard. I ended up about 1.5 miles down wind today. Mostly from out running the white water and riding the waves

          Flat water with 2' chop in 15 to 20 knots. This is the same place that
          I have never been able to go that upwind with my first shortboard
          (Sailboard Master Class 295).

          Hung.

        • Mark Frasier
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 1999
            Hi folks,

            On Hung Vu's site he says:

            "Please note that most of the dead-man safety release system STOP working
            when you are hooking in to your harness. Some of them still allow you to
            disable the kite by "consciously" pulling on some string. If you know of
            any dead-man safety release system that works as a true "dead-man" system
            when you are hooking in, please let me know."

            Peter Lynn has, for quite a while, made deadman handles for two line kites.
            The lines are attached to the handles by pins. If the grip is released, the
            pins come out and the kite floats away, even if the handles are still
            ":hooked in" or attched to the harness. That means you must always hold
            both handles. There is no line that keeps the kite attched after the pins
            are released... the kite just goes! I guess you could attach an
            intermediary line that would keep you from having to swim, but some kites
            will keep flying uncontrolably if they are attached by even one line (for
            example, my Sputnik will keep flying if I drop one of the handles). There
            was also someone on rec.kites that had a similar system for 4 line kites,
            but I don't think it's in production.

            There si a small picture here:
            http://www.vliegerop.nl/peterlynn/pictures/PAQR00.jpg .... from Vlieger Op
            kite store.

            Mark Frasier

          • srosso@bunge.com.br
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 5, 1999
              I agree - this weekend i was sailing a 5.0 wipika on 30 m lines in 1 meter
              plus of waves and i was making my way upwind (not 1 mile but about 50
              meters every time i came back in...

              I also tried the WAVE 7.2 this weekend - way overpowered (i switched to the
              wipika 5.0 !) - but incredible kite - here is my test report

              - incredible upwind - even though i was way overpowered
              - good control in overpowered conditions - did not try and drag my but
              downwind
              - relaunch is pretty good - I was flying it in 2 line mode and relaunched
              it 4 times (it had fallen because it luffed in the gusty wind) - the 5th
              time it got hit by 1 m shore break - it drank some water and stayed down (I
              think if i had it in 4 lines i would have been easily able to save it)
              - resistance to shore break OK (it finally got the kite stuck in the water
              eventually)

              - only negative point is that i always have a hard time inflating it - tips
              anyone ?
              - also - after it drank water - it is not quick to get the water out
              beacuse of the valves on the vents (but eventually i figured out a
              technique)

              stefano

              20 knots with 1 m waves for all of sunday ! HAHAHAH !!!

            • Rolf Joosten
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 5, 1999
                > - only negative point is that i always have a hard time inflating it - tips
                > anyone ?

                I don´t exactly know the Wave, but the F-ONE is a similar kite. Best thing to
                do is, just lay it out downwind on its back and put some sand at the trailing
                edge.
                Go to the bar and pull the lines slightly, so it takes some air, by just
                holding it in this position. After it has filled with some air, just pump the
                lines hard one time, to get it off the ground. then just pump it some more
                times, to fill it completely.
                As the kite is not fully inflated, when it takes off, it will not drag you,
                although you started it downwind.
                This is in my opinion the best and safest way to start our F-ONE kites.

                Irie and fly high

                Rolf
                Club Mistral Barbados

              • Michel Montmigny
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 13, 1999
                  srosso@... wrote:

                  > I agree - this weekend i was sailing a 5.0 wipika on 30 m lines in 1 meter
                  > plus of waves and i was making my way upwind (not 1 mile but about 50
                  > meters every time i came back in...
                  >
                  > I also tried the WAVE 7.2 this weekend - way overpowered (i switched to the
                  > wipika 5.0 !) - but incredible kite - here is my test report
                  >
                  > - incredible upwind - even though i was way overpowered
                  > - good control in overpowered conditions - did not try and drag my but
                  > downwind
                  > - relaunch is pretty good - I was flying it in 2 line mode and relaunched
                  > it 4 times (it had fallen because it luffed in the gusty wind) - the 5th
                  > time it got hit by 1 m shore break - it drank some water and stayed down (I
                  > think if i had it in 4 lines i would have been easily able to save it)
                  > - resistance to shore break OK (it finally got the kite stuck in the water
                  > eventually)
                  >
                  > - only negative point is that i always have a hard time inflating it - tips
                  > anyone ?
                  > - also - after it drank water - it is not quick to get the water out
                  > beacuse of the valves on the vents (but eventually i figured out a
                  > technique)
                  >
                  > stefano
                  >
                  > 20 knots with 1 m waves for all of sunday ! HAHAHAH !!!

                  > [click here]
                  > Click Here!
                  >
                  > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf

                  Hello Stephano and all,

                  I am very happy that the WAVE 7.2 give you nice time, the best still to
                  come.
                  You are absolutly right when you say that with four lines you increase a
                  lot the chance to relaunche after falling. Here at CONCEPT AIR we do
                  suggest the use of four line and we do use our kites in 4 lines
                  configuration.

                  For sure we know about bars. After buy it people can use it like they
                  prefer it.

                  To inflate it, a nice and easy way is to put sand on the trailing edge
                  and then pull gently on the power lines to make it inflate slowly.

                  With four lines and handles, it's so easy...

                  It's normal that when you put it in the air, it's not inflate at 100%.
                  Then fly it from side to side of the window or put it overhead and let
                  the wind make the job.

                  About how to get the water out of the kite, Be patient.

                  and we are working on an eventual "dumpwater" valve.

                  Have nice breeze

                  Michel Montminy
                  www.conceptair.com