[ksurf] Re: Equipment demo

  • speleopower@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 1999
      > I watched Jason Furness kitesurf in cornwall the other day with 60 meter
      > lines and a 7 metre+ Flexifoil blade (definately not water relaunchable).
      > Who needs a water relaunchable kite when you don't get near to dropping it
      > on the water! He was a couple of miles out before he jibed, I would have
      > been sh*tting it! From what I understand it really helps to get very good
      > at flying kites on land (especially with a buggy) before you venture on
      > water. Then you can choose a kite with excellent upwind performance whether
      > it is water relaunchable or not!

      I fly Quadrifoil X-series Competition kites (non-water relaunchable) and Wipika's. Once you get the kiteflying down to an instinct dropping the kite does not cross your mind. I've only dropped my Quadrifoil once and that was today! Darn! I did a down wind carving jibe on a wave face during which I went under the kite causing the kite to depower and collapse. I was then hit and tumbled by the white wash. When I came up I watched as my kite gently landed in the impact zone! Darn! Any kite other than a Wipika, Kiteski or Naish would have been sunk. The bottom line is to become very comfortable flying your kites on land first. Good luck everyone! It's been pretty good wind the past few days in Florida!

    • Michel Montmigny
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 13, 1999
        Tim Bracey wrote:

        > I watched Jason Furness kitesurf in cornwall the other day with 60 meter
        > lines and a 7 metre+ Flexifoil blade (definately not water relaunchable).
        > Who needs a water relaunchable kite when you don't get near to dropping it
        > on the water! He was a couple of miles out before he jibed, I would have
        > been sh*tting it! From what I understand it really helps to get very good
        > at flying kites on land (especially with a buggy) before you venture on
        > water. Then you can choose a kite with excellent upwind performance whether
        > it is water relaunchable or not!
        > >
        > >For a truely great revolutionary new piece of kitesurfing equipment,
        > >such treatment is "not fair". A lot of great revolutionary products do
        > >not "work" in theory but "works" very well in practice.
        > >
        > >I would recomemnd all kitesurfing vendors to reserve a number of demo
        > >equipment and send them to "respectable" non commercial kitesurfers (who
        > >are not making any money selling any kitesurfing equipment) for a few
        > >weeks for trial. The confirmation or praise from such non commercial
        > >kitesurfers would be of tremendous marketing value to the equipment that
        > >no marketing money can buy.
        > >
        > >Hung.

        > >FreeShop is the #1 place for free and trial offers and great deals!
        > >Try something new and discover more ways to save!
        > >http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/381
        > >

        > >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf
        > >http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications

        > [click here]
        > Click Here!
        >
        > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf

        You are absolutly right. Peoples MUST have a very good and serious land
        apprentiship with any kites before going on water.
        Dont need to be a beast, but have to know very well about how to handle
        all that power.
        In example: For a 10 hours lesson, I propose 7 hours flying kites and 3
        playing in water.

        The thing I always repeat and repeat, is: always do everything to keep
        your kite in the air, and that whatever the type of kite used.

        Only my point of view. Have nice breeze

        Michel Montminy
        www.conceptair.com

      • Cat-thief