Re: [ksurf] Little cut on the tube of my inflatable

  • Maicol Borghetti
    Message 1 of 13 , May 30, 2001
      I use an adhesive drackon patch....
      the same material used to repair on the fly sails (spinnaker)...
      good flying...

      "Federico A. Cetta" wrote:

      > The inflatable LE tube of my airblast has a cut of about 5 cm. The
      > transparent camera that goes inside is not damaged, it just goes a little
      > out of the tube when I inflate it. I dont know how this happen, could be a
      > stone, could be the lines.
      > I used duck tape but it didnt work. How should I fix it? Should I any
      > special product?
      > Thanks a lot, and besides all this problem, keep kitesurfing with your
      > airblast that is a great kite!
      >
      > Federico.

    • Dwight & Jacky
      Message 2 of 13 , May 30, 2001
        The first time you crash the kite hard that little 5cm cut will blow out and
        become a 15 cm hole. You must sew the tube hole closed. A stick on patch
        will not hold during a hard crash. Repair it before you do worse damage to
        the kite.

        Dwight

        > "Federico A. Cetta" wrote:
        >
        > > The inflatable LE tube of my airblast has a cut of about 5 cm. The
        > > transparent camera that goes inside is not damaged, it just goes a
        little
        > > out of the tube when I inflate it. I dont know how this happen, could be
        > > stone, could be the lines.
        > > I used duck tape but it didnt work. How should I fix it? Should I any
        > > special product?
        > > Thanks a lot, and besides all this problem, keep kitesurfing with your
        > > airblast that is a great kite!
        > >
        > > Federico.
      • Federico A. Cetta
        Message 3 of 13 , May 30, 2001
          Thanks a lot Dwight, but how do I sew it (it is the tube and I dont know how
          to sew only one side), and Do I have to use any special cloth?
          Also the hole's too far from the velcro openingin the middle of the LE.

          Federico.

        • fishersfort@attglobal.net
          Message 4 of 13 , May 30, 2001
            It's real easy. I just repaired my first one last week and it looks
            great. You get a stitch cutter from a sewing supply store and open
            the seam with nylon fishing line hidden inside. You will see the line
            only after you open it up. After opening the tube up, you can get
            inside to sew a patch. After sewing the patch inside, close the tube
            back up. Use polyester thread and any sewing machine. I was not able
            to reinsert the fishing line, so I cut it out for the 1/2 meter of
            tube I had opened up. I didn't even have to remove the inner bladder
            to make the repair.

            Dwight

            --- In kitesurf@y..., "Federico A. Cetta" <fcetta@i...> wrote:

            > Thanks a lot Dwight, but how do I sew it (it is the tube and I dont
            know how
            > to sew only one side), and Do I have to use any special cloth?
            > Also the hole's too far from the velcro openingin the middle of the
            LE.

            > Federico.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Stephen McCormack
            Message 5 of 13 , May 30, 2001
              Hi Dwight/Frederico

              Absolutely, definitely, repair every little hole in your inflatable kites,
              kites will just blow up or tear from LE to TE if you don't making for a much
              bigger repair job.
              You can definitely do this repair without sewing, using a clear, flexible,
              waterproof, polyurethane based glue. In Oz we get a product called seam
              seal, it is brilliant for repairing any size hole or tear if you do not have
              access to a sewing machine.
              You do need to put a patch on both sides of the hole in bladders.
              It is best to not cut the nylon line, as it adds a lot of strength to the
              seam.
              When you resew the bladder shut it is best to add strips of adhesive
              sailcloth/spinnaker repair tape to both sides of the bladder before
              attempting to sew the seam with the fishing line inside. The reason for this
              is that as you resew the seams you are perforating them even more, if your
              stitch length does not match the original. Stitch length varies a lot on
              even on the same kite on all the inflatables I have worked
              on/sold/inspected.
              If you do not do this at least 50% of your repairs will split as soon as
              they are pumped up!!
              Cya and
              Goodwinds
              Steve McCormack
              www.kitepower.com.au
              sydney@...
              126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
              Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
              Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
              geelong@...

              Subject: Re: [ksurf] Little cut on the tube of my inflatable

              The first time you crash the kite hard that little 5cm cut will blow out and
              become a 15 cm hole. You must sew the tube hole closed. A stick on patch
              will not hold during a hard crash. Repair it before you do worse damage to
              the kite.

              Dwight

              > "Federico A. Cetta" wrote:
              >
              > > The inflatable LE tube of my airblast has a cut of about 5 cm. The
              > > transparent camera that goes inside is not damaged, it just goes a
              little
              > > out of the tube when I inflate it. I dont know how this happen, could be
              > > stone, could be the lines.
              > > I used duck tape but it didnt work. How should I fix it? Should I any
              > > special product?
              > > Thanks a lot, and besides all this problem, keep kitesurfing with your
              > > airblast that is a great kite!
              > >
              > > Federico.
            • Federico A. Cetta
              Message 6 of 13 , May 30, 2001
                Thanks to everybody for replying. As it is an small cut, I will try using a
                transparent contact adhesive called "Pattex Transparent". I will try putting
                a patch trougth the cut to fix it from the inside of the bladder and then
                put another patch on the outside. Do you think it will work?

                It's real easy. I just repaired my first one last week and it looks
                great. You get a stitch cutter from a sewing supply store and open
                the seam with nylon fishing line hidden inside. You will see the line
                only after you open it up. After opening the tube up, you can get
                inside to sew a patch. After sewing the patch inside, close the tube
                back up. Use polyester thread and any sewing machine. I was not able
                to reinsert the fishing line, so I cut it out for the 1/2 meter of
                tube I had opened up. I didn't even have to remove the inner bladder
                to make the repair.

                Dwight

                --- In kitesurf@y..., "Federico A. Cetta" <fcetta@i...> wrote:

                > Thanks a lot Dwight, but how do I sew it (it is the tube and I dont
                know how
                > to sew only one side), and Do I have to use any special cloth?
                > Also the hole's too far from the velcro openingin the middle of the
                LE.

                > Federico.

              • Kitepower
                Message 7 of 13 , May 30, 2001
                  That is a type of glue I have used to repair sails and bladders, it should
                  work well. It used to be supplied with the Wipika kites as a repair kit.
                  It sounds like the hole is very small, good luck getting that patch on the
                  inside inside of the bladder.
                  Cya and
                  Goodwinds
                  Steve McCormack
                  www.kitepower.com.au
                  open 7 days
                  126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
                  Phone +61293157894

                • CC - Steve
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 31, 2001
                    Just sew it up from the outside with an overhand stitch to keep it closed
                    then put a piece of ripstop tape over it. If you can reach the inside to
                    cover it too great - if not the thread will keep it together. Take the
                    bladder out first though - why risl poking it?
                    This is what I have done with good results.

                    Steve
                    Carson City, Nevada USA

                    > Thanks to everybody for replying. As it is an small cut, I will try using
                    > transparent contact adhesive called "Pattex Transparent". I will try
                    putting
                    > a patch trougth the cut to fix it from the inside of the bladder and then
                    > put another patch on the outside. Do you think it will work?

                    NetZero Platinum
                    No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
                    Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!
                    http://www.netzero.net
                  • Andy Heaton
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 1, 2001
                      <<I've had tremendous success repairing cuts by using kite material
                      (don't know the word for the material, you know, the stuff of which
                      90% of the kite is made of) in conjunction with super glue. That's
                      right, super glue.>>

                      Hehe, classic, that's how I fix 95% of my kite tears, NEVER had a failure yet. Easy to carry and cheap.

                      With a 5 inch tear, you can simply clean the edges of the wound, run a bead of super along one edge and slightly overlap the joint, about 1mm is enough.

                      You will not see the repair and will actually have trouble FINDING it.

                      Occasionally, if bad enough, I'll add a patch. the Wipikas are good because the bag, comes with a tag attached on the outside, it's for indicating the color of your kite. This with super glue is your perfect repair kit for the bigger tears...and a perfect color match too.

                      My first kite, a 5m Wipika Classic (that's all there was in the inflatables then) I cut the bag it came in to pieces after numerous learning accidents.

                      The entire classic bags are made of the same color and material the kite inside is.

                      Ahh those were the days, cutting up your bag to fix your kite 'cause there was no one to teach you how to not damage your kite. I remember one of my runs from The canoe hale at Lower Kanaha all the way to the treatment plant (quite a way) with nothing more than my knees getting wet I was so powered up, ahh... so that's why there's no one out today...a bit windy hey, ok...mental note taken, next...

                      I'll get off my rocking chair now....it was only a little while ago:)

                      Kite on
                      Andy Heaton
                      http://www.kitehigh.com

                      LiteWAVE Designs in stock NOW.
                      16m Airblasts IN STOCK NOW
                      Wipika Free Air 2000 Kites 30% OFF
                      KHaTT Twintips Available on Pre order, high demand!
                      Ask about beginner custom package deals.

                      Em: support@...
                      Ph: 808 242 2956
                      Cl: 808 250 KITE (5483)

                      • stonini@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 1, 2001

                        • kitemanic@yahoo.co.uk
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 1, 2001
                            Haha funny when you think about the first batches of kites, my first
                            kite was a naish ar3.5 5m kite (still got it today, good nick too!)
                            and it came with a 32inch bar!!
                            lates,
                            DREW

                            > Ahh those were the days, cutting up your bag to fix your
                            >kite 'cause there was no one to teach you how to not damage your
                            >kite. I remember one of my runs from The canoe hale at Lower Kanaha
                            >all the way to the treatment plant (quite a way) with nothing
                            >more .than my knees getting wet I was so powered up, ahh... so
                            >that's why there's no one out today...a bit windy hey, ok...mental
                            >note taken, next...
                          • Federico A. Cetta
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 1, 2001
                              Last Night I repaired the tear on the tube. I used some little piece of the
                              kite material that came with it just to hold the bridle as a presentation
                              for a non-used kite. I made two patches with them and glued one from the
                              inside and tho other from the outside with "Pattex transparent". I think I
                              made a very good job, today I inflated the tube and everything is cool, very
                              well fixed. I hope not to have problems when kitesuring.

                              Thanks to everybody for the advices given, I wouldnt have fixed the kite in
                              the way I did with out your help. And now... just waiting for some wind!!!!

                              Federico.