[ksurf] Re: Reel bar & safety release & multiple line lengths

  • Eric.Steinbroner@ReadRite.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 30, 1999
      <377a5d51.4e6-@...> wrote:

      > Furthermore, even if I kitesurf with a KiteSki kite I would still be
      > more comfortable with a safety release system. I have seen an expert
      > KiteSkier hurt himself/herself because he/she did not want to release
      > the reel bar afraid that it would hurt someone or damage something
      > downwind. Like seat-belt, safety release system could be a hassle;
      > however, you'll never know ....

      I've used kiteski equipment for six years now, and I can say that I haven't even come close to something like you are describing. If I were overpowered with the kiteski, I lay on my side and become an anchor. At this point, I would fly the kite above me and then to the side at the edge of the window where there is no power. Then you slowly fly the kite down and let it drop. There really is no need to ever let the control bar go. But, if you do need to let the control bar go, the distance that it travels is really short. Just the other day I let the control bar go (nobody in front of me) after my session, and the bar went about 10 meters. I've seen Cory's bar go pretty far (maybe 40 meters) when it was blowing about 40 kts.

      A wipika with a control bar would be a very dangerous thing though....

      > The system I described may not work for a KiteSki kite as to be able to
      > water launch the KiteSki kite one needs to reel the lines completely
      > in. With the tubes, one will have 6'3" slack in the lines and I am not
      > sure whether one can water launch the KiteSki kite with that. Since you
      > have a KiteSki kite, you may want to try that and let us know.

      Like I said above, there is no need for a safety release. It would probably do more harm than good.

      Eric

    • jno@village.uunet.be
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 1999
        <7ldu93$l9s-@egroups.com> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=3192
        > <377a5d51.4e6-@...> wrote:
        >
        > A wipika with a control bar would be a very dangerous thing though....

        Eric,

        What do you mean ? Most Wipika are used with a control bar...

        Jean-Noel.

      • Eric.Steinbroner@ReadRite.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 1999

          > Eric,
          >
          > What do you mean ? Most Wipika are used with a control bar...
          >

          > Jean-Noel.

          Sorry to confuse you Jean-Noel. I meant this:

          The kiteski control bar without a quick release is a dangerous thing. This is because the Wipika is always powered up. The kiteski control bar being dragged by the Wipika could hurt someone badly. Hung Vu and some others have come up with some interesting ways of solving this problem.

          Eric

        • SHUGART,STEVE (HP-Roseville,ex1)
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 7, 1999
            I finally got some R&R time in last week and flew my kite with reel and
            release 4 times.
            The release which is just a cleat on the inside of the reel and about 7 feet
            of extra sleeved
            line, worked nicely. I was able to depower the kite at the end of my run. I
            didn't try to
            release it and then reset it and fly on, but stay tuned. It was really nice
            to be able to depower the kite in front of the pine trees. After releasing
            it, I would just reel in, and drag the extra distance. It is really hard to
            determine 150' from shore, so I would usually release
            too soon. The winds were about 18-25 and I was on my 5.0 Wipika. I was too
            busy flying to try Hung's setup, which I think is preferable.

            Finally got some upwind action.......just needed lots of wind and edge!

            Steve

            > What do you mean ? Most Wipika are used with a control bar...
            >

            > Jean-Noel.

            Sorry to confuse you Jean-Noel. I meant this:

            The kiteski control bar without a quick release is a dangerous thing. This
            is because the Wipika is always powered up. The kiteski control bar being
            dragged by the Wipika could hurt someone badly. Hung Vu and some others
            have come up with some interesting ways of solving this problem.

            Eric

            Don't let the next virus knock you out! Special Offer to eGroups members
            Install @Backup by June 30th and win a $100 Gift Certificate from Amazon
            .com and @Backup free for a year! http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/363

          • Warthog72@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 7, 1999
              how much about does it cost to start kiteboarding