[ksurf] Re: Four line kitesurfing

  • David Raue
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 1999
      It seems that buggiers overwhelmingly prefer quad kites over 2-liners.
      Just my own speculation, but I'd guess that most buggiers are experienced
      kite fliers, and would prefer the control of soft quad line kites and
      accept the risk of a dousing, even though most quads don't like to get wet.
      Dual line kites simply don't have the same control over power, turn rate,
      etc. I don't kitesurf (yet), but I do water ski and body surf with big
      kites. There are plenty of days that I don't douse the kite at all.
      Granted, I wouldn't want to be 2 miles off shore with a non-relaunchable
      kite.

      True, you need a harness for waqter starts with quad liners. No doubt
      about it. If you want to get more comfortable with the handles try
      skudding on the sand while looping the kite. You'll get a workout too!
      Regards,

      Dave

      ----------
      > From: boomjib@...
      > To: kitesurf@egroups.com
      > Subject: [ksurf] Four line kitesurfing
      > Date: Monday, June 28, 1999 3:51 PM
      >

      > Is the future of kite surfing moving more towards the four line kites?I
      am new to power kiting and have been kitsurfing for only four months and
      learned on the control bar.I have been flying some four line kites in
      lighter winds and noticed how uncomfortable and awkward I felt with the
      handles when the kite started to pull unless I was hooked in .There are
      buggiers in my area who are becoming interested in kitesurfing and they
      seem to think that the future of kite surfing is with four lines.I wonder
      what the percentage of kitesurfers are using two line and what are using
      four line?Just a thought.OH ya I don't think my f.one 6.5 is out dated and
      to heavy to fly in its proper wind condition.

    • srosso@bunge.com.br
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 29, 1999
        We are using the Traction Kites from Concept Air (currently the only
        successful, near 100%water re-launchable kites we know of). We're using
        them flat water in the Pamlico Sound and also in the ocean with no
        problems.

        === Could you please describe what happens to these foild when hit by a
        wave ? thanks

      • speleopower@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 29, 1999
          > === Could you please describe what happens to these foild when hit by a
          > wave ? thanks

          I've seen the Traction Kites by Concept Air become not-water-relaunchable after being run over only once by knee to thigh high surf. Concept Air's valve system on the leading edge, can make shaking the water out difficult. A small price to pay for 85%-100% water relaunchablility.

        • fox@foxwatersports.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 1999
            <0325679f.00479af0.0-@...> wrote:
            original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=3180
            > We are using the Traction Kites from Concept Air (currently the only
            > successful, near 100%water re-launchable kites we know of). We're using
            > them flat water in the Pamlico Sound and also in the ocean with no
            > problems.
            >
            > === Could you please describe what happens to these foild when hit by a
            > wave ? thanks
            >
            > Sure. They float, giving you the chance to re-launch by either the leading edge or the trailing edge of the kite, depending on which end is up. Of course if you crash the kite in the impact zone and it gets washed badly in the surf, you are going to have to head back to the beach to get things together and untangled. Samee thing happens to a lot of windsurfers who go down in the impact zone and are unable to get going right away.

            We are sailing these kites through the shorebreak at Cape Hatteras, notoriously some of the worst shorebreak anywhere, and not having problems. The Traction/Concept Air kites will float for a good 5 minutes before they get too wet to launch. Generally this is more than enough time to get re-launched.

            Art

          • Michel Montmigny
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 12, 1999
              srosso@... wrote:

              > We are using the Traction Kites from Concept Air (currently the only
              > successful, near 100%water re-launchable kites we know of). We're using
              > them flat water in the Pamlico Sound and also in the ocean with no
              > problems.
              >
              > === Could you please describe what happens to these foild when hit by a
              > wave ? thanks

              > [click here]
              > Click Here!
              >
              > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf

              Hello Stephano and all,

              I just come back from Kitesurf and buggy holyday.

              I had a lot of fun riding and jumping the waves at Magdalena Island in
              Quebec(soon 0n our web site)

              I would like to try to answer that question myself.

              At the beginning I should say that nothing is perfect...and I'll try to
              be not too bad with my poor english.

              It's true that our kites are very powerfull and that our new WAVE is
              water relaunchable. On it we dont want or like to put any % of success.

              The thing in what everybody should put some attention, is where and in
              wich conditions they will go out.
              Also experience and skill is something very important that make all the
              difference, like in any sport.
              Using bar or handles in the beginning also make a difference.
              using four lines have more good points than bad points.

              Like I always say to our friends and customers, our WAVE TRACTION kites
              will relaunch most of the time, but if you fall after a big jump and the
              kite go in the water, faster you will relaunche it, better are your
              chances to fly rather than swim...

              Against a 1-3- meters high wave, any power kites using design and
              technologie like our, will have 50/50 chance to fly again.

              Have you ever try to stop an elephant?...

              If we could ask peoples to be very frank and ask them if their :
              F-ONE, WIPIKA, C-QUAD, CONCEPT AIR or any other brands on the market
              have at least few time contrained them to swim because their kite did
              not relaunche I think that nobody could say that it never happened.

              Just few worlds to answer Stephano question.

              Have nice breeze

              Michel Montminy
              www.conceptair.com