[ksurf] Four line kitesurfing

  • boomjib@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 1999
      Is the future of kite surfing moving more towards the four line kites?I am new to power kiting and have been kitsurfing for only four months and learned on the control bar.I have been flying some four line kites in lighter winds and noticed how uncomfortable and awkward I felt with the handles when the kite started to pull unless I was hooked in .There are buggiers in my area who are becoming interested in kitesurfing and they seem to think that the future of kite surfing is with four lines.I wonder what the percentage of kitesurfers are using two line and what are using four line?Just a thought.OH ya I don't think my f.one 6.5 is out dated and to heavy to fly in its proper wind condition.

    • fox@foxwatersports.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 29, 1999
        <7l8jo9$oaa-@egroups.com> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=3165

        > Is the future of kite surfing moving more towards the four line kites?I am new to power kiting and have been kitsurfing for only four months and learned on the control bar.I have been flying some four line kites in lighter winds and noticed how uncomfortable and awkward I felt with the handles when the kite started to pull unless I was hooked in .There are buggiers in my area who are becoming interested in kitesurfing and they seem to think that the future of kite surfing is with four lines.I wonder what the percentage of kitesurfers are using two line and what are using four line?Just a thought.OH ya I don't think my f.one 6.5 is out dated and to heavy to fly in its proper wind condition.
        >
        > For what it is worth, here at Cape Hatteras we are finding that the 4-line kites are definitely the way to go. Before we tried them, we were a little concerned about the handles versus the control bar, but now we wouldn't trade the handles and the control that 4-lines gives you for anything. We are using the Traction Kites from Concept Air (currently the only successful, near 100%water re-launchable kites we know of). We're using them flat water in the Pamlico Sound and also in the ocean with no problems.

        Compared to the Wipikas we had been using, we are finding that the Tractions are more responsive and more just pure fun to fly, and they are far more powerful. We are using the 4.8 Traction in winds where we were formerly using the 8.5 Wipika. The two-line Wipikas are a little more stable for the beginner and thus might be a little easier for initial learning, but the learning curve on the 4-line kites is very steep.

        At this stage of development, we're sticking close to the 4-line Tractions. Stay tuned, though. Things in this sport have a way of changing rapidly.

        Art Dervaes
        Fox Watersports