Re: [ksurf] Re: Stainless steel control bar

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2001
      Greg Walsh <gregwal@...> wrote:

      > Aluminium bars float with the ends sealed. Steel ones don't. ...
      > I put self expanding foam in the bars but that's mainly to keep the
      > water out to avoid corrosion. I found it annoying with the old
      > windsurf booms slowly leaking out the water that got inside.

      Although lighter than water, that foam is still pretty heavy, at least
      compared to air & a few good plugs. In 20 years of windsurfing, the best
      plugs I found come from WindSurfing Hawaii. They are rubber, & cup shaped
      (at least two different diameters, so there's lots of sticky surface area.
      A couple of those might help your stainless bar float, or at least make your
      carbon bar even lighter.

      Mel
    • Dwight & Jacky
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2001
        Ah, but you don't use a leash, so you've never let go. Try finding a bar
        that sinks after you deploy the leash.

        Some of us can read and we do appreciate the news that Naish is finally
        offering a real twin tip this summer.

        > i HAVE A CUSTOM WELDED ALUMNIUM bar that is heavy compared to
        > the rest of the bars on the market and it doesn't float never had a
        > problem.
        >
        > bitme
      • Mel
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2001
          Dwight & Jacky <fishersfort@...> wrote:

          > Ah, but you don't use a leash, so you've never let go. Try finding a bar
          > that sinks after you deploy the leash.

          I've used reelbars that didn't float, & just pulled in on the leash to
          retrieve the bar. I can see it could be a problem in shallow water though.

          Mel