Re: [ksurf] Re: tuning an airblast 11,8

  • Peter Traykovski
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1 8:45 AM
      I tried my 11.8 for the first time this weekend..and had the same
      impressions.. WOW.

      Big improvement over the 15.5 ar5..much easier to go upwind..easier / more
      responsive steering..easy floaty jumps. With the 15.5 ar5 if it was at all
      possible to get away with the 11.5 I would rig that one. Now I'll definetly
      rig the 11.8 unless I absolutely need to be on a smaller kite. It made a
      10-15 knot day really fun as opposed to fun..but alot of work.. I used it in
      stock mode with the relaunch bridle. which is made from a fairly heavy
      sleeved line that doesn't seem to tangle to much..not sure if this a change
      from what it came with before. The 15.5 ar5 was a pretty good kite, but this
      one is considerably better.

      -Peter
    • Mel
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1 11:32 AM
        Jeff Quick <jquick1@...> wrote:

        > I am now finding more
        > and more that this kite DOES have more low end power than the 15.5AR5,
        > if trimmed properly.

        It ought to. It is bigger after all.

        Mel
      • Stephen McCormack
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1 2:20 PM
          The latest Airblasts have the reactive bridle made out to a thicker sleeved
          line than the originals I received. I made a new one from Q-Power line
          anyway and kept my undamaged original as a spare.
          The 8.4 Airblasts that we received as replacements for the
          damaged/delaminating ones now have SEVEN (7) struts and a new outline, we
          laid a new over an old and they are quite different.
          The new kites have a batten located right on the wingtip, presumable to stop
          the tips cupping in turns, so now they are even smoother, an absolutely
          wicked kite.
          Cya and
          Goodwinds
          Steve McCormack
          www.kitepower.com.au
          sydney@...
          126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
          Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
          Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
          geelong@...

        • Kinsley@XtremeBigAir.com
          Message 4 of 10 , May 1 2:26 PM
            Yep... Naish kite is a SLOW DOG especially 15.5. You are going to
            have so much fun Peter.
            Airblast 8.4 and 11.8 are so much better than those Naish kites.
            Go Xtreme,
            Kinsley.
            http://XtremeBigAir.com

            --- In kitesurf@y..., Peter Traykovski <ptraykovski@w...> wrote:
            > I tried my 11.8 for the first time this weekend..and had the same
            > impressions.. WOW.
            >
            > Big improvement over the 15.5 ar5..much easier to go upwind..easier
            / more
            > responsive steering..easy floaty jumps. With the 15.5 ar5 if it was
            at all
            > possible to get away with the 11.5 I would rig that one. Now I'll
            definetly
            > rig the 11.8 unless I absolutely need to be on a smaller kite. It
            made a
            > 10-15 knot day really fun as opposed to fun..but alot of work.. I
            used it in
            > stock mode with the relaunch bridle. which is made from a fairly
            heavy
            > sleeved line that doesn't seem to tangle to much..not sure if this a
            change
            > from what it came with before. The 15.5 ar5 was a pretty good kite,
            but this
            > one is considerably better.
            >

            > -Peter
          • Peter Traykovski
            Message 5 of 10 , May 1 6:48 PM
              Do they have a solid batten at the tips or is that one of the inflatable ones. A
              solid one, as mentioned by some people on this list would make more sense.

              I found the 8.4 to be an improvement over the ar5. It is smoother and turns
              better with less line tension..I've only used it with no reactive bridle. I
              found it does not directly compare to a naish size since it feels a touch
              smaller than my 11.5 ar5 and this seemed consistent with sailing with a buddy of
              approx equal skill and weight whos was on a 11.5 ar5. It is more powerful than a
              9.5 ar5 so maybe compares to a 10.5 or 11.0 ar5. It feels like it has a higher
              top end than the ar5 and handles better at or near that top end in my opinion.
              But the difference is much more pronounced between the 11.8 airblast and the
              15.5 ar5 than the 11.5 and 8.4. That may be because the ar5 design was pretty
              dialed in for the 11.5 and 9.5 sizes.but wasn't quite right for the 15.5 and
              7.5.

              -Peter

            • callum@dr.com
              Message 6 of 10 , May 1 8:13 PM
                --- In kitesurf@y..., Peter Traykovski <ptraykovski@w...> wrote:
                > Do they have a solid batten at the tips or is that one of the
                inflatable ones. A
                > solid one, as mentioned by some people on this list would make more
                sense.

                The 11.8 doesn't have any new battens on it, just the seven original
                ones. I didn't lay my replacement one over the old one to see if
                there were any diferences, I didn't notice any, I didn't notice that
                the briday was made any different either. The only thing was that the
                struts are now white, and not coloured, and seam to be made of the
                same material as last years Free Airs.

                Once I have flown it a bit more I'll see if I think battens are still
                required for the tips or not.

                Callum
              • Kitepower
                Message 7 of 10 , May 1 9:11 PM
                  G'day Peter

                  The batten is inflatable, and it is quite thick and short, I think it works
                  very well, provided it is pumped up firmly.
                  It is easy to fit solid battens to any kite as well though.
                  Most of my experience with Air Blasts has been on the 8.4, I think it has a
                  better top end than the 11.5 AR5/ARX, and I basically gree with all your
                  observations, as they are most similar to what local 11.8 users find as
                  well.
                  Cya and
                  Goodwinds
                  Steve McCormack
                  www.kitepower.com.au
                  open 7 days
                  126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
                  Phone +61293157894

                  Stephen McCormack wrote:

                  > The latest Airblasts have the reactive bridle made out to a thicker
                  sleeved
                  > line than the originals I received. I made a new one from Q-Power line
                  > anyway and kept my undamaged original as a spare.
                  > The 8.4 Airblasts that we received as replacements for the
                  > damaged/delaminating ones now have SEVEN (7) struts and a new outline, we
                  > laid a new over an old and they are quite different.
                  > The new kites have a batten located right on the wingtip, presumable to
                  stop
                  > the tips cupping in turns, so now they are even smoother, an absolutely
                  > wicked kite.
                  > Cya and
                  > Goodwinds
                  > Steve McCormack
                  > www.kitepower.com.au
                  > sydney@...
                  > 126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                  > Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                  > Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
                  > geelong@...
                  >
                  > I tried my 11.8 for the first time this weekend..and had the same
                  > impressions.. WOW.
                  >
                  > Big improvement over the 15.5 ar5..much easier to go upwind..easier / more
                  > responsive steering..easy floaty jumps. With the 15.5 ar5 if it was at all
                  > possible to get away with the 11.5 I would rig that one. Now I'll
                  definetly
                  > rig the 11.8 unless I absolutely need to be on a smaller kite. It made a
                  > 10-15 knot day really fun as opposed to fun..but alot of work.. I used it
                  in
                  > stock mode with the relaunch bridle. which is made from a fairly heavy
                  > sleeved line that doesn't seem to tangle to much..not sure if this a
                  change
                  > from what it came with before. The 15.5 ar5 was a pretty good kite, but
                  this
                  > one is considerably better.
                  >
                  > -Peter
                • Dwight & Jacky
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 2 3:08 AM
                    My replacement kite was made from ARX material, not last years Free Air
                    material. I guess I got lucky. The ARX material is appearing in some, but
                    not all, new Free Air's. The ARX material has pin stripes in it.

                    Dwight

                    > The 11.8 doesn't have any new battens on it, just the seven original
                    > ones. I didn't lay my replacement one over the old one to see if
                    > there were any diferences, I didn't notice any, I didn't notice that
                    > the briday was made any different either. The only thing was that the
                    > struts are now white, and not coloured, and seam to be made of the
                    > same material as last years Free Airs.
                    >
                    > Once I have flown it a bit more I'll see if I think battens are still
                    > required for the tips or not.
                    >
                    > Callum
                  • Mel
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 2 2:56 PM
                      Peter Traykovski <ptraykovski@...> wrote:

                      > Do they have a solid batten at the tips or is that one of the inflatable
                      ones. A
                      > solid one, as mentioned by some people on this list would make more sense.

                      Why wouldn't an inflatable batten be just as good? It might even save on
                      weight if it's essentially just been moved to the tip from it's previous
                      location. It also could be an advantage aerodynamically, like wingtip tanks
                      on aircraft.

                      > I found the 8.4 ... does not directly compare to a naish size since it
                      feels a touch
                      > smaller than my 11.5 ar5 ... maybe compares to a 10.5 or 11.0 ar5. It
                      feels like it has a higher
                      > top end than the ar5 and handles better at or near that top end in my
                      opinion.

                      That all makes sense, since the 8.4 is supposed to be nearly exactly the
                      same size as the 11.5, but with a flatter airfoil shape (smaller feel,
                      including higher top end).

                      > the ar5 design was pretty
                      > dialed in for the 11.5 and 9.5 sizes.but wasn't quite right for the 15.5
                      and
                      > 7.5

                      I still love my 7.5AR5, but I'm small (around 61kg). I think Naish kept
                      nearly the exact same AR from the 7.5AR5 to the ARX. I was told only the
                      smaller & larger sizes had their AR changed.

                      Mel
                    • Dwight & Jacky
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 24 3:59 PM
                        Take the bridles off and you'll like it better. Just remember to make the
                        rear knoted line 10" long.

                        Dwight