[ksurf] Re: Reel bars and launching Big kites

  • mdelliott@waco.expresspersonnel.com
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2001
      --- In kitesurf@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
      > <mark.elliott@e...> wrote:
      >

      > > Flowbee has
      > > had several modifications. Ive only sent mine in for the first
      mods,
      > > something internal. The other two they notified me of I have not
      yet
      > > sent in to have them done. Could be the additional sheeting range
      you
      > > spoke of.
      >
      > I don't think so, unfortunately. I sent mine in for the internal
      mod, & it
      > was returned immediately. The latest notice only mentioned a delrin
      > replacement for the brake knob, & instructions for how to install
      short
      > leaders, so they can be replaced easily where they wear against the
      > fairleads.
      >
      > Mel

      Bummer, I really like the reel here on a heavily wooded lake but
      with the gusty winds and my lack of skill on a floaty directional I
      like the sheeting range on my regular bars. They did say they were
      working on something other than the tube over the line safety depower.
      Mel, do you use your reel? I would think you wouldnt bother with
      your sand beaches(assuming) and experience, at the cost of sheeting
      range. Did you get your big blue floaty looking things with that last
      mod? Didnt think floatation would be helpful until last week when the
      bar was yanked from my hands in shallow water and by the time I got
      to it the coating of our sticky gritty mud was in all four reels. Was
      pleased to hear they were providing free. MARK
    • Mel
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2001
        <mdelliott@...> wrote:

        > Mel, do you use your reel? I would think you wouldnt bother with
        > your sand beaches(assuming) and experience, at the cost of sheeting
        > range.

        I don't use it. When I bought it I didn't realize reeling in requires
        flying the kite overhead, which is impossible here, due to the gustiness
        (yes, it is SO gusty it is actually impossible). I'd planned to build a
        sheeting system (& I have an idea I'm pretty sure would work) but now
        there's no point. My main goal was to be able to shorten the lines for
        quicker kite handling, while still being able to let them back out again
        when the wind drops, to regain low end range. Landing solo* IS a real pain
        here, because it's so gusty, but I've become pretty good at landing nose
        down in front of a bit of white water.
        *the broad wind range AND lower riding effort of MelMods with bungie harness
        lines means everybody else is nearly always long gone by the time I'm
        landing.

        > Did you get your big blue floaty looking things with that last
        > mod? Was
        > pleased to hear they were providing free.

        I did not get them.

        Mel