Re: tuning an airblast 11,8

  • Jeff Quick
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2001
      Hi Ronny,

      Due to its higher AR and newer design, you really cant sheet it in
      beyond stock for more power (like we could with the 15.5 AR5s). I
      tried this in the early stages with my 11.8, and it flies like crap
      with no power, and sometimes flies backwards. I am now finding more
      and more that this kite DOES have more low end power than the 15.5AR5,
      if trimmed properly.

      You may want to adjust your trim strap more to find that sweet spot
      for the given wind speed. Also, more use with the kite seems to make
      it more "magical". I think its very strange, as it seems to be flying
      better and better the more I use it, probably due to my getting use to
      it and/or the kite being flown in (?). All I know is its becoming
      more and more one incredible kite!

      Jeffro

      --- In kitesurf@y..., "Ronny Basso" <basso@o...> wrote:
      > i've been flying an 11.8 airblast 2 times now
      > and i think it has to be flown very differently from my naish kites.
      > what puzzels me most is the sheeting with the trim loop.
      > it seems to stop the kite and loose power when you sheet in
      > and gain power through higher speed when you sheet out.
      >
      > any thoughts on this one
      >

      > ronny basso
    • Peter Frank
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2001
        You are right - it is very different from the AR5's.

        The center of effort is also balanced in another way, in respect to
        the connection points.

        So you can not fly on the back lines at all ! (like the AR5 could).

        Start the trim with equal line lenght, and depower from there.

        You normally always fly the Airblast with somewhat slack back lines -
        it is still very easy to control (the AR5 was impossible to steer,
        when totally slack back lines).

        And the reason for getting more power when sheeting even further out,
        is the increased speed because it accelerates when sheeting out
        (depower).
        This is great when jumping - because you can let the bar be sheeted
        at almost any position - and still have full power in the jump !!!

        Perfect for no-handed jumps.

        And the depower still works - if you sheet out, the kite will
        accelerate at first (thus keeping the power), but shortly after this
        it will be depowered (and you can go upwind in heavy gusts, or jibe
        when you normally would be overpowered...)

        And like Jeff Quick wrote, it brakes/stalls if you try to fly on the
        back lines !
        In fact - in very low wind, you should fly even more on the front
        lines - because this will keep the speed and turning power up !!!

        This is a good thing to remember, when launching in the water - keep
        the front lines very tight, and it will relaunch instantly in any
        wind...

        Peter Frank, DK.

      • fernmanus@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 24, 2001
          Jeff,

          The 11.8 is definitely a big improvement over the 15.5 Naish AR-5. I
          flew the 16.4 for the first time yesterday. It is an awesome kite,
          much better than the Naish 21.5. It is amazingly easy to relaunch.
          Just as easy as the 11.8. I tried jumping with the 21.5, but it was
          such a pain. I luffed the kite on my second jump and could not get
          the kite to relaunch. Jumping with the 16.4 is much better, never
          luffed and jumps were long and floaty.

          I do have to say that I don't like the smaller Airblasts. I have the
          8.4 and I hate how easy it is for the bridles to get tangled in high
          winds. The 8.4 is also a little more responsive than I would like.
          I prefer the 11.5 Naish AR-5 because you really don't need reverse
          relaunching when the wind is strong and you are using a smaller kite.

          Kenny

          --- In kitesurf@y..., "Jeff Quick" <jquick1@h...> wrote:
          > Hi Ronny,
          >
          > Due to its higher AR and newer design, you really cant sheet it in
          > beyond stock for more power (like we could with the 15.5 AR5s). I
          > tried this in the early stages with my 11.8, and it flies like crap
          > with no power, and sometimes flies backwards. I am now finding
          more
          > and more that this kite DOES have more low end power than the
          15.5AR5,
          > if trimmed properly.
          >
          > You may want to adjust your trim strap more to find that sweet spot
          > for the given wind speed. Also, more use with the kite seems to
          make
          > it more "magical". I think its very strange, as it seems to be
          flying
          > better and better the more I use it, probably due to my getting use
          > it and/or the kite being flown in (?). All I know is its becoming
          > more and more one incredible kite!
          >
          > Jeffro
          >
          > --- In kitesurf@y..., "Ronny Basso" <basso@o...> wrote:
          > > i've been flying an 11.8 airblast 2 times now
          > > and i think it has to be flown very differently from my naish
          kites.
          > > what puzzels me most is the sheeting with the trim loop.
          > > it seems to stop the kite and loose power when you sheet in
          > > and gain power through higher speed when you sheet out.
          > >
          > > any thoughts on this one
          > >

          > > ronny basso
        • Beyers, Leonardo C
          Message 4 of 6 , May 25, 2001
            Hi there mate,
            airblast...;
            Well, I would just like to say that I have been kitesurfing for about 2
            years, about 25 days out of every month, and having had 7 years prior kite
            traction experience
            I have flown every kite in almost any condition in Cape Town, South Africa.
            If you have not been there, the wind is very powerful and superbly constant.
            I found the Airblast VARC 6.3 the best kite ever to use with a picklefork
            142 wake in about 25 - 35 knots, with 2m plus waves. That kite seems to be
            able to get you in a very, VERY overpowered position, wihout you even
            knowing it! And that means sick air. I rate the Wipika's very highly, and
            now actually ride for Wipika here in UK. My last session in Cape Town
            absolutely went mad with the fattest airs ever on the Airblast 6.3, 20 m
            lines. Ask the kellner brothers, or jason furness...they were there on the
            beach!

            Boost huge and inverted,
            Leonardo

            This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected.
            If you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is
            strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing
            stated in this communication shall be legally binding.
          • deejay@zeta.org.au
            Message 5 of 6 , May 25, 2001
              Yo, word up Leo,

              Did I write your email, (dare say a few folks will think so).

              Onya,

              Waves and wind,

              Darren

              --- In kitesurf@y..., "Beyers, Leonardo C" <leonardo.beyers@w...>