Re: [ksurf] Re: Reel bars and launching Big kites

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2001
      <mark.elliott@...> wrote:

      > I'll check the measurement next time Im out at the lake.

      I already posted the measurements.

      > Flowbee has
      > had several modifications. Ive only sent mine in for the first mods,
      > something internal. The other two they notified me of I have not yet
      > sent in to have them done. Could be the additional sheeting range you
      > spoke of.

      I don't think so, unfortunately. I sent mine in for the internal mod, & it
      was returned immediately. The latest notice only mentioned a delrin
      replacement for the brake knob, & instructions for how to install short
      leaders, so they can be replaced easily where they wear against the
      fairleads.

      Mel
    • mdelliott@waco.expresspersonnel.com
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2001
        --- In kitesurf@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
        > <mark.elliott@e...> wrote:
        >

        > > Flowbee has
        > > had several modifications. Ive only sent mine in for the first
        mods,
        > > something internal. The other two they notified me of I have not
        yet
        > > sent in to have them done. Could be the additional sheeting range
        you
        > > spoke of.
        >
        > I don't think so, unfortunately. I sent mine in for the internal
        mod, & it
        > was returned immediately. The latest notice only mentioned a delrin
        > replacement for the brake knob, & instructions for how to install
        short
        > leaders, so they can be replaced easily where they wear against the
        > fairleads.
        >
        > Mel

        Bummer, I really like the reel here on a heavily wooded lake but
        with the gusty winds and my lack of skill on a floaty directional I
        like the sheeting range on my regular bars. They did say they were
        working on something other than the tube over the line safety depower.
        Mel, do you use your reel? I would think you wouldnt bother with
        your sand beaches(assuming) and experience, at the cost of sheeting
        range. Did you get your big blue floaty looking things with that last
        mod? Didnt think floatation would be helpful until last week when the
        bar was yanked from my hands in shallow water and by the time I got
        to it the coating of our sticky gritty mud was in all four reels. Was
        pleased to hear they were providing free. MARK
      • Mel
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2001
          <mdelliott@...> wrote:

          > Mel, do you use your reel? I would think you wouldnt bother with
          > your sand beaches(assuming) and experience, at the cost of sheeting
          > range.

          I don't use it. When I bought it I didn't realize reeling in requires
          flying the kite overhead, which is impossible here, due to the gustiness
          (yes, it is SO gusty it is actually impossible). I'd planned to build a
          sheeting system (& I have an idea I'm pretty sure would work) but now
          there's no point. My main goal was to be able to shorten the lines for
          quicker kite handling, while still being able to let them back out again
          when the wind drops, to regain low end range. Landing solo* IS a real pain
          here, because it's so gusty, but I've become pretty good at landing nose
          down in front of a bit of white water.
          *the broad wind range AND lower riding effort of MelMods with bungie harness
          lines means everybody else is nearly always long gone by the time I'm
          landing.

          > Did you get your big blue floaty looking things with that last
          > mod? Was
          > pleased to hear they were providing free.

          I did not get them.

          Mel