Re: Stainless steel control bar

  • Greg Walsh
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2001
      Aluminium bars float with the ends sealed. Steel ones don't. There's
      not enough displacement to offset the weight of either 25mm or 32mm
      OD 1.6mm walled stainless steel tube. Pity, it's not that much
      heavier.

      Perhaps using a thin-walled stainless might help but I take what I
      can get from the local suppliers. Anyway, I've found a good source of
      carbon fibre tube and I'm curious to see just how slick a bar I can
      put together for a few bucks.

      I put self expanding foam in the bars but that's mainly to keep the
      water out to avoid corrosion. I found it annoying with the old
      windsurf booms slowly leaking out the water that got inside.

    • bitme1234@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2001
        i HAVE A CUSTOM WELDED ALUMNIUM bar that is heavy compared to
        the rest of the bars on the market and it doesn't float never had a
        problem.

        bitme

        --- In kitesurf@y..., "Greg Walsh" <gregwal@e...> wrote:
        > It just seems appropriate for something that's going to be used on
        > the water to float. I can imagine it being an advantage for a bar
        > float but I can't think of a reason why you'd want one to not
        float.
        > The aluminium bars float fine and I expect the carbon fibre one to
        > float as well. Why not make one that floats when it's easy to do.
        >
        > Of course, you could always say why can't Naish make a decent bar
        > when it's easy to do, or Ken Winner make a bar that doesn't wear
        out
        > leaders when it's easy to do, or ......
        >
        > BTW. Had a look at the Cabrinha 4-line bar. It looks not too bad.
        The