Re: [ksurf] different idea of size comparison Cabrina/Naish!!!

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2001
      Raul F Argilagos <offdalip@...> writes:

      > Hi Mel, I believe the cabrinha chart doesn't indicate that they are equal
      > in
      > size just in power for the same wind.

      But YOU just said the 9.4 was in between the power of an 11.5 & a 13.5

      Not size, but power?! Are we looking at the same chart? I'm at
      http://www.cabrinakites.com/sizechart.html It mentions "size" not only in
      the address, but also TEN times on the chart itself. "Surface Area" is also
      mentioned twice. Not once does it mention power. It is a size chart, which
      incorrectly shows the 9.4 equal to the 11.5 (which would also be an
      inaccurate representation of power, according to what you wrote previously).

      > You can't say exactly equal to this
      > kite
      > or that, you have to use the chart as a rough guide because of so many
      > variables in rider weight, gustiness, board used, water conditions,
      > subjectiveness, whether you use the power trim etc.

      I would agree completely IF that chart was presented as a POWER comparison.
      The chart I'm looking at does NOT. It is presented as a SIZE comparison, in
      which case you CAN say exactly this kite is bigger than that one.

      You said yourself that the 11.5 is significantly smaller in size than the
      9.4, yet this chart shows them equal in size. That means this chart is not
      correctly indicating size.

      > I still think the Cabrinha chart is the most accurate comparison that
      > I've
      > seen

      I guess you haven't seen mine, which is only a SIZE comparison, but
      according to YOUR size observations it's much more accurate than the
      Cabrinha chart, since it shows the 9.4 between the sizes of the 11.5 & 13.5
      Don't let all the different measurement methods confuse you, just look at
      the model number in column A, & the flat area in column D, or even just the
      manufacturer's own projected spec in column E. Keep in mind that while this
      is only a size chart, your own observations indicate that the 9.4s POWER is
      ALSO between the 11.5 & 13.5 (not surprising, since power is directly
      proportional to area).

      > and this is from actually flying these kites myself not from looking
      > at the surface areas and the aspect ratios. The thing is to let people
      > understand that these kites are sized differently. Give them the wind
      > range for each of the kites and see what will work for their conditions.

      Good idea. The probem is the manufacturer's wind ranges are off. I'm only
      132 pounds, yet the top end of my wind range on my 7.5 is the top end of
      what Naish recommends for a 170 pound rider on a 5.5 (& my low end is what
      they say for a 9.5).

      You also said yourself that the 11.5 is significantly more powerful than the
      9.4, yet the chart shows them equal. That also means the chart is not
      correctly indicating power either. I repeat my opinion that the chart is
      wrong, no matter how you interpret it (size or power).

      Mel
    • Mel
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2001
        Raul F Argilagos <offdalip@...> wrote:

        > Actually I said the 9.4 BT cabrinha kite was slightly more powerful
        > than the 11.5 naish not the opposite.

        Woops! You're right. I got it backwards that time (I wrote "more" instead
        of "less) but the chart is still wrong.

        In order of power OR size, it goes 11.5, 9.4, 13.5 (according to your
        observations)

        The inaccurate Cabrinha chart shows the 9.4 & 11.5 as equal.

        Mel
      • Raul F Argilagos
        Message 3 of 16 , May 1, 2001
          Actually I said the 9.4 BT cabrinha kite was slightly more powerful
          than the 11.5 naish not the opposite.
          Raul

          > You also said yourself that the 11.5 is significantly more powerful
          > than the
          > 9.4, yet the chart shows them equal. That also means the chart is
          > not
          > correctly indicating power either. I repeat my opinion that the
          >

          > Mel
          >

          > <<< to unsubscribe send a message to
          > kitesurf-unsubscribe@egroups.com >>>
          >
          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to