West Marine Leader Line

  • kitesurfmn@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2001
      Is anybody using line available at West Marine for leaders? They had
      a 5mm spectra line called Brite Lite. I am building a center strap
      from tubular webbing, and need some leader line to equalize lenghts
      with the Airiush leaders.

      Is it OK to connect both front lines to one piece of this 5mm
      spectra, or do I need a vee? The bar will be used on ARCs.

      Thanks,

      Matt
    • bitme1234@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2001
        IF YOUR USING D-RINGS ON YOUR WEBBING STRAP JUST LARKS HEAD AROUND
        THE D RING AND TIE THE TWO BITTER ENDS TOGETHER INTO FIGURE 8 KNOT

        iF NOT JUST RUN THROUGH THE WEBBING LOOP AND TIE THE TWO PIECES INTO
        A FIGURE 8 KNOT.

        i'D RATHER BE SAFE, THAN FISH FOOD!!!

        lATER ,
        TODD

        --- In kitesurf@y..., kitesurfmn@y... wrote:
        > Is anybody using line available at West Marine for leaders? They
        had
        > a 5mm spectra line called Brite Lite. I am building a center strap
        > from tubular webbing, and need some leader line to equalize lenghts
        > with the Airiush leaders.
        >
        > Is it OK to connect both front lines to one piece of this 5mm
        > spectra, or do I need a vee? The bar will be used on ARCs.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Matt
      • Jeff Quick
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2001
          Hi Matt,

          I am using that line as leaders on my current bar. Make sure you tie
          the knots perfectly clean (I use figure 8 knots). I half-assed the
          knots months ago, and noticed a bit of wear on the tension points
          (though they never broke, or even got close to breaking). After
          creating super clean knots (on my current bar), the knots are showing
          no wear whatsoever! This line is good, but seems to be more set for
          strength than durability.

          A while back, I also used it for my chicken loop on my OLD bar (notice
          I say OLD). It wore out in about 3 sessions and damn near fired my
          brand new 11.8 Airblast into the side of a cliff when it broke!
          Luckily I was able to save the kite but was out a bar for the rest of
          the day and I missed the good wind!

          I rebuilt my new bar (no chicken loop, just larger trim strap), and
          really clean figure 8 knots. For the trim strap, I put a larkshead at
          the end of the D ring, which splits into to "small" leader lines for
          the 2 front lines...this seems to help keep line twists to a minimum
          and makes the lines line up better under load.

          Hope this helps...(and I hope we are talking about the same line from
          West Marine, 5mm Spectra Core!)

          Jeffro

        • steveseal1@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2001
            --- In kitesurf@y..., kitesurfmn@y... wrote:
            > Is anybody using line available at West Marine for leaders? They
            had
            > a 5mm spectra line called Brite Lite. I am building a center strap
            > from tubular webbing, and need some leader line to equalize lenghts
            > with the Airiush leaders.
            >
            > Is it OK to connect both front lines to one piece of this 5mm
            > spectra, or do I need a vee? The bar will be used on ARCs.
            >
            > Thanks,

            Matt

            Per West Marine, the 4mm Spectra has a working load of 300lb (+or-20%)
            when it will begin to stretch and will fail at 1200lb. I've been
            using it for my leaders for an ARC setup. Steve