kiting with kayaks?

  • Tsunamisports
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2001
      Anyone know where to get more info on kiting with kayaks?

      Shaun Pretorius
      Tsunami Sports

      www.tsunamisports.co.za
      info@...

      Tel: +27 31 2019776
      Fax:+27 31 2019685
    • bardentj@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2001
        Not sure, but I'm sure someone has tried it. I have often thought
        about going for it, since I also do a fair amount of Kayaking. Much
        less now I have started kiteboarding.

        If you try it you want a kayak with a flat bottomed hull and really
        sharp rails, such as a Riot Glide. Riot (www.riotkayaks.com) are also
        now making kayaks fins. This may help, although the boxes may not be
        strong enough to take the forces of kiting. The other consideration
        is what happens if you capsize, you need to de power the kite very
        fast. Being dragged whilst in the boat will generate huge forces
        through your torso.

        In ID2, a kayaking video, Sean Baker goes for a session on a
        mechanical waterski system. He pulls off some rude tricks, including
        360 spins and has a go at the jump....and manages to land one.

        Looks like a laugh, but I have always figured the board looks more
        fun than the kayak. Maybe one I'll get bored of kiteboarding and try
        it.......not likely.

        If you sort it out take a video camera I would love to see the
        footage.

        Cheers
        Tim

      • bardentj@netscape.net
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2001

        • Phillip_Jones@trfkb.navy.mil
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2001
            I tried it--it didn't work. I used a high performance surf boat-
            Stingray. It is appx 8ft long, flat bottom and 3 thruster fins.
            Wind was in excess of 25 and I was flying a Slingshot B2 trainer. It
            would be great for downwind but minimal to no control off the wind.
            Maybe a long boat with a skeg and a rudder would have worked. My
            friend flew a box kite from his sea kayak in the ocean with huge
            success. He launched the kite, ran the line from just forward of the
            cockpit coaming and tied it off. He then used his paddle as a rudder
            and his boat was equiped with a drop down skeg.