RE: [ksurf] Re: Small fear of sharks

  • Lemke, Mike
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2001
      I have read a post or two about sharks. But I.M.H.O, you should just enjoy
      yourself. You don't need to worry about sharks. You need to worry about
      sharks large enough to bite a man. There are Tiger's in Hawaii, and White's
      in Australia. If I were anywhere else in the world and someone on the beach
      screemed "SHARK!" I'd likely grab my mask and go take a look at him. And
      besides, Kitesurfing has plenty of danger in it's own right....that's what
      you oughta be worrying about.

      Here is an interesting bit of trivia (not sure if it is still true though).
      Guess how many reports there have been of deaths from shark attack in
      California south of Santa Barbara? Zero.

      Don't worry about 'em.....M

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2001
        Hell, I don't know about that Mike.

        The Cape of Good Hope (Cape Town) has some of the nastiest great whites in the world. I made a conscious choice to not let them worry me, kitesurfing being safer than motorcycle racing etc. This was all very well until I dropped the kite in the water a long way offshore. I was green and didn't know what I was doing. The kite was underinflated, the wind was too weak, and I was clueless. Suffice to say the kite stayed in the drink. And so began a 2km swim.

        ...and my resolve melted. Suddenly I could hear the 'Jaws' soundtrack being played from above, and every ripple looked suspicious. It was quite possibly the most humbling two hours of my life.

        I still kitesurf all the time, and I still tell myself not to be afraid, but quite honestly I think it's just the bravery of being out of range. ;-)

        ~ Gary

      • traigtrumbo@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2001

          > Here is an interesting bit of trivia (not sure if it is still true
          though).
          > Guess how many reports there have been of deaths from shark attack
          in
          > California south of Santa Barbara? Zero
          UMMM,ERRR,,,,Two people were chowed out a hundred yards off shore.
          Two plastic kayaks tied together as they ate lunch off of Little Dume
          here in Malibu. The boyfriend was taken whilst diving off of the Kiak
          and the girlfriends boat was hit repeatedly by the twenty footer and
          was not able to fight it off. The dorsal fin hit the kiak so hard it
          broke through a quarter inch of fiberglass. Then again Elvis was
          spotted in In and Out burger last week....It's still April
          first...love this stuff. No really it is true about that shark
          attack. Really,,I swear,,,My girlfriend was at the beach at the
          time...Nude with Elvis... Sharks wouldn't attack Elvis. Too high in
          the bad LDL cholesterol, bad bladder control,,the works. Aging..But
          we have had several shark attacks south of Santa Barbara and many are
          listed in those "Stay in the house with the shades drawn cuz it's
          dangerous out there kind of books" Really, I swear,No April Fools as
          far as you know for three more minutes. Screw the fish, Just have
          fun...Not necessarilly in that order. Cuz if you have fun screwin the
          fish, you are one sick SOB... Sorry Flipper.

          kitesurf-unsubscribe@egroups.com

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2001
            --- In kitesurf@y..., "Lemke, Mike" <Mike.Lemke@S...> wrote:
            > I have read a post or two about sharks. But I.M.H.O, you should
            just enjoy
            > yourself. You don't need to worry about sharks. You need to worry
            about
            > sharks large enough to bite a man. There are Tiger's in Hawaii, and
            White's
            > in Australia. If I were anywhere else in the world and someone on
            the beach
            > screemed "SHARK!" I'd likely grab my mask and go take a look at him.
            And
            > besides, Kitesurfing has plenty of danger in it's own
            right....that's what
            > you oughta be worrying about.
            >
            > Here is an interesting bit of trivia (not sure if it is still true
            though).
            > Guess how many reports there have been of deaths from shark attack
            in
            > California south of Santa Barbara? Zero.
            >
            > Don't worry about 'em.....M

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2001
              Traig, you've got to start cutting back on this little yellow pills dude!

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 2, 2001
                My apologies....my interesting trivia is clearly wrong.....take a look at
                this link....M

                http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Sharks/statistics/GAttack/World.htm

                Ohhhh, and to the guy who wrote the original post....about shark fears....
                I hope we aren't making things worse for you.

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 2, 2001
                  3 deaths in so cal listed:

                  1 in San Diego (1959)
                  2 in Ventura (1989)

                  > Here is an interesting bit of trivia (not sure if it is still true
                  though).
                  > Guess how many reports there have been of deaths from shark attack
                  in
                  > California south of Santa Barbara? Zero
                  UMMM,ERRR,,,,Two people were chowed out a hundred yards off shore.
                  Two plastic kayaks tied together as they ate lunch off of Little Dume
                  here in Malibu. The boyfriend was taken whilst diving off of the Kiak
                  and the girlfriends boat was hit repeatedly by the twenty footer and
                  was not able to fight it off. The dorsal fin hit the kiak so hard it
                  broke through a quarter inch of fiberglass. Then again Elvis was
                  spotted in In and Out burger last week....It's still April
                  first...love this stuff. No really it is true about that shark
                  attack. Really,,I swear,,,My girlfriend was at the beach at the
                  time...Nude with Elvis... Sharks wouldn't attack Elvis. Too high in
                  the bad LDL cholesterol, bad bladder control,,the works. Aging..But
                  we have had several shark attacks south of Santa Barbara and many are
                  listed in those "Stay in the house with the shades drawn cuz it's
                  dangerous out there kind of books" Really, I swear,No April Fools as
                  far as you know for three more minutes. Screw the fish, Just have
                  fun...Not necessarilly in that order. Cuz if you have fun screwin the
                  fish, you are one sick SOB... Sorry Flipper.
                  > Don't worry about 'em.....M

                • Andre Myburgh
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 2, 2001
                    Seems it's still saver kitesurfing with the grey-pajama parade than driving
                    to the beach in your car.

                  • kitesrfer@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 2, 2001
                      Yow! The folks in Austalia and South Africa have just gained more respect in
                      my book. Although my home state of Florida seems to lead the world in
                      attacks, joy, our sharks apparently lose interest easily for which I am
                      grateful. These are some startling statistics! It looks like Canada may be
                      the safest kitesurfing venue although I wonder if there is a site that has
                      iceberg kitesurfing collision statistics?

                      Good winds,
                      Rick

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 2, 2001
                        --- In kitesurf@y..., "Lemke, Mike" <Mike.Lemke@S...> wrote:
                        > 3 deaths in so cal listed:
                        >
                        > 1 in San Diego (1959)
                        > 2 in Ventura (1989)
                        Hey Mike: The two Ventura ones were actually the kiaks and one of the
                        bodies that drifted with the current up North and retrieve just past
                        Ventura County Line. They spot the big buggers all the time down here
                        but the rarely bother anyone. One day while lifeguarding up at Leo
                        Carrillo I took a quick workout break around the buoy at tower number
                        two. Clear water and wearing swim goggles to watch the beautiful
                        bottom. Thought I had seen everything out there. Came back up to the
                        the tower and an old ex navy seal scuba diver came out of the water
                        soon after me. He walked up the tower and said, "I don't tell fish
                        stories but I just saw the largest Mako shark I have ever seen in my
                        life a few minutes ago. My lifeguard supervisor was chuckling by this
                        time and asked "where did you see it?" The diver responded "right out
                        there under that red buoy not ten minutes ago" That was the swim
                        marker, about five hundred meters out and my splashing while swimming
                        must have brought him in. I never even saw the shark and thought I
                        was aware of everything in my imediate environment. Just got to play
                        and forget about them. Lots of the junior lifeguards I train have the
                        common fear of sharks which has kept them out of the water since early
                        childhood. When you ski you don't worry about bears. Just lawyers,
                        but they have guys who hunt those. Have fun Traig...Think there is a
                        gas leak in my house...

                      • Greg Walsh
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 2, 2001
                          If you take the figures as a percentage of population then Australia
                          wins by a long way. Add to that we've only been here for half the
                          time. Your chances of being munched in the US are .0003% and in
                          Australia .0015% Our sharks are waaaay tougher than your pussy yankee
                          sardines. Also, the figures are 2 years out of date. Our boys have
                          been tasting and snacking up quite a bit of late.

                          It's interesting to note that most of the attacks in the US and
                          Australia take place in the warmer states where there are many more
                          people hanging out in the water. Similarly, surfers are more likely
                          to be munched because there are more of them in the water for a
                          longer time. A much more interesting statistic would be the
                          percentage of attacks for the number of water users. I'd be guessing
                          the rates would be pretty similar everywhere.

                          Rule 1 is always go out with a friend. There's a 50-50 chance the
                          sharks will chomp them instead of you.

                        • captain1@iname.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 2, 2001
                            Naa greg the number one rule is to always swim with a buddy and
                            always carry the biggest diving knife you can carry. Then when you
                            see a shark, stab your buddy and swim like hell!!

                          • ruoster@hotmail.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 30, 2001
                              Shark attacks are very infrequent. I agree with the advice to
                              disregard it. The chances are so remote don't let it take away from
                              the expierence. Also, check the web site below for statistics on
                              shark attacks in CA.

                              Get High in CA!

                              http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Sharks/statistics/GAttack/mapCA.htm

                            • smh8d@virginia.edu
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 1, 2001
                                Concerning sharks. People say that you have a better chance of being struck by lightning than you do of being eaten by a shark. Sure, that may be true but how are you getting that number? I would assume taking the amount of people that live in the United States and dividing that number by how many people are struck per year. With shark attacks I would bet the numbers are compiled the same way. So your chances of being bit are one in millions. But how many of those people (factored into the equation) are actually out in the ocean swimming around, bobbing up and down like a lure and swimming in looking like a wounded seal after a wipe out? Not many. With kiting you are in the water for hours at a time unlike the typical swimmer or tourist playing in the ocean for say only 20minutes. I don't want to scare anyone but I just think the chances of running into a shark are greater than being struck by lightning. Maybe about the same odds as being struck by lightning while playing golf in a lightning storm. Anyway, maybe I am just a little concerned because I was kiteboarding in the ocean in Avon, NC September 3rd when two people were eaten by a shark, one fatally. I was teaching a friend how to body drag and was in the water all day. I crashed my kite in the ocean about a mile out and I swam in from 4 to 4:45pm and the attacks happened at the exact spot around 5:30. Pretty scary scene the next day seeing about two dozen news crews parked in the parking lot and filming the ocean where you kite. But why bitch, kiteboarding is worth the risk. Its just to much fun to let some minor detail like sharks get in the way of the unbelievable experience of kiteboarding. Kite on.

                                {