Tip flares and leach line (was sheetable handles)

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2001
      Hi Lach,

      Sound like you have been having as much wind as Auckland recently, a few of
      the crew are going a little crazy over here with the lack of good wind.

      I had recently talked to Chris at PL about the tip flares, but he has yet to
      send me the details, I'd assume thats where you got you sizing from?

      Have you tried the flares on a bar setup yet? Chris was saying you get more
      load on the brake lines which gives you a better feel of what the kite is
      doing.

      I've recently moved away from my set and forget type bar and made up a
      chicken loop sheetable set up. I find that once I'm in the loop I lose all
      feel of what the kite is doing. I'm hoping to try out these flares to see if
      I get this back + the increased steering response.

      Also what is a leach line - is that the line I have seen on the PL
      prototypes connected between the front line connection points? If so what is
      the advantage of it? I would think you would not be able to depower the kite
      completely on a leash with one of those lines attached.

      Dave

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2001
        hi Dave and anyone else who is interested

        You are right the flares do give you the feel back with the chicken
        loop system.
        i think that the lines that you are referring to are just inside the
        the leading edge to counter any turn that a kite may develop .
        The leach line goes in at the back line attachment point through the
        mesh in each cell just indide the trailing edge and through the other
        end you can pull it on up to about 30 cm and it will give the kite
        quicker turns and a bit more power. Good for extending the bottom of
        each kites range .
        Good riding

        Lach

        unsubscribe@egroups.com >>>