Re: [ksurf] Gusty Wind Miracle Fix

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 1, 2001
      Dwight & Jacky <fishersfort@...> wrote:

      > Making my chicken loop bigger and then making a main harness
      > line with bungee inside isn't too hard for anybody to do.

      I'm curious. Do you guys actually prefer a bigger smart loop? Some have
      commented that the large NSI loop means you can't sheet in as far, since the
      loop hits the bar.

      I just checked & DaKine still sells their "harness line pads" (to attach
      lines to the bar in case you don't want to just tie them) which would likely
      work as well with bungee as they do with solid line.
      http://dakine.com/windinv.asp?invky=4160-600-20
      www.murrays.com sells them, in case your local dealer doesn't.

      > > Since I'm always in the trim
      > > loop, that's all I need.

      > The only time I can ride that like is when I'm so powered the chicken loop
      > is let out all the way. It's not comfortable for me to ride stroking the
      bar
      > in and out.

      I'm confused again. I thought you were praising the merits of riding in the
      trim loop, with the bungie "stroking the bar in & out" for automatic
      sheeting in the gusts & lulls.

      Mel
    • Dwight & Jacky
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 1, 2001

        > I'm curious. Do you guys actually prefer a bigger smart loop? Some have
        > commented that the large NSI loop means you can't sheet in as far, since
        the
        > loop hits the bar.

        I like it because I just stay hooked into both lines all the time and just
        let the bungee do all the work.

        > I just checked & DaKine still sells their "harness line pads" (to attach
        > lines to the bar in case you don't want to just tie them) which would
        likely
        > work as well with bungee as they do with solid line.
        > http://dakine.com/windinv.asp?invky=4160-600-20
        > www.murrays.com sells them, in case your local dealer doesn't.

        I just made a bungee system for Jacky by cutting the rope out of a Dakine
        harness line and replacing it with bungee. I then made her chicken loop
        bigger.

        > > > Since I'm always in the trim
        > > > loop, that's all I need.
        >
        > > The only time I can ride that like is when I'm so powered the chicken
        loop
        > > is let out all the way. It's not comfortable for me to ride stroking the
        > bar
        > > in and out.

        I am praising it, mostly over the bungee doing all the work for me.

        Dwight

        > I'm confused again. I thought you were praising the merits of riding in
        the
        > trim loop, with the bungie "stroking the bar in & out" for automatic
        > sheeting in the gusts & lulls.
        >
        > Mel

      • Dwight & Jacky
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 1, 2001
          I just finished my third full day on the NSI bungee system. Today I was
          super powered on my 7.5 AR5 with my wakeboard. The winds were real gusty,
          hail storms hit within one hour of quitting for the day. The winds were from
          a low pressure system. Usually I hate days like that, but today the riding
          was very comfortable. My strap is showing signs of being cut by the D-ring
          stopper that holds the chicken loop. I guess they still have problems with
          this thing. The important lesson here is this concept is worth pursuing and
          soon we'll have it worked out. I think everybody should at least make one up
          and try it. It's real easy to make, and you just might be surprised by it. I
          find myself missing the challenge of hanging on in powerful gusts because
          this makes life so easy. The fun of standing around on the beach laughing at
          your buddies as they explode in big gusts, may be over.

          Dwight

          > The first generation has only one bungee cord, the second has a doubled
          > bungee cord. Your retailer or failing that NSI should take it back as an
          > exchange or make other arrangements for you.
          >
          > << I have also had difficulties with the NSI Power Trim Loop System.
          > Even though I do not ride overpowered and have yet to try a jump, my
          > stitching is coming apart after only 3-4 sessions and I have yet to
          > configure the bungee loop so that it will hook in. Does anyone know
          > where I can get the largest possible spreader bar hook so that I
          > MIGHT have a chance to hook in? I do not know what generation my NSI
          > is, but it was purchased new in January.

        • Mel
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 1, 2001
            Dwight & Jacky <fishersfort@...> wrote:

            > My strap is showing signs of being cut by the D-ring
            > stopper that holds the chicken loop. I guess they still have problems with
            > this thing. The important lesson here is this concept is worth pursuing
            and
            > soon we'll have it worked out.

            FLS already uses tubular webbing, to wear less against the ring. I don't
            know of any after-market bungie harness lines, but for now we should be able
            to make some very nice ones using those DaKine parts.

            Mel
          • gorgekiteboarder@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 2, 2001
              One note of caution about cheap effective bungie solutions. I
              experimented with bungie cords for my chicken loop a little bit last
              summer, and immediately thought about the safety aspects. If your
              chicken loop has a lot of travel or range, eventually your bungie
              cord could snap when you're getting yanked super hard. I think it is
              likely that the bar will be at or above eyeball height when the
              bungie blows up, so there is potential for some really bad news. Two
              things could help here.
              1- the NSI system uses tubing and some heavy cordura for protection
              against a snapping bungie.
              2- tie a knot in the center leader 4 - 8 inches above the bar to
              limit the amount that the bungie can be stretched.

              Hope these thoughts are helpfull.

              Spencer
              Hood River