Re: [ksurf] Re: kite line problems

  • Roy Hopper
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2001
      hello and thanks for responding,the vidio I got is (kiteboarding how to
      rip)my kite is a wipika 11 free air and I bought it used.I went to the night
      website and got a user manual for the arx kite. I just got back from trying
      it for the first time.first time I ever tried any kite except for a kids
      kite.this thing is mean,it drug me all across the field I was in,(tomorrow I
      will fill it)...although I did fly it,IM not sure if everything was
      perfectly set ,I did not have very much wind at all but it still would drag
      you everywhere when you would take it down and back up. if you have any good
      advice for me or anything at all I would be happy to here it...I'M from
      Paducah KY. and I have never seen any of these kites around here before so
      its all me and I have no one to show me so any help is appreciated..I cant
      wait to go to the lake..I do have a boat and I wouldn't be out on the water
      without it and somebody with me....my wife got some pictures of me flying
      the kite for the first time..it will take me a little while but I will be
      adding them to my family site at http://noloaner.homestead.com/index.html
      if you would like to check them out .......thanks in advance for any
      help.......Roy
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2001
        Roy

        I think some warning lights are going off here. Maybe I'm overly
        safety conscious, but it is better to be safe than to get hurt. "How
        to Rip #1" is a good instructional video to have. Study it well. If
        you are getting yanked / pulled hard when launching and landing you
        are not following the correct launching / landing procedures for your
        inflatable Wipika. You should be able to launch from the edge of the
        wind window with very little pull. You should be able to control the
        kite's assent to zenith straight over your head in a nice controlled
        slow way. Same way with landing. From what you said below it sounds
        like you flew the kite without pumping the bladder(s) up? Not a good
        idea if in fact you did that. The kite is not designed to fly that
        way so it may become uncontrollable. Here is the Wipika site URL for
        the Wipika user guide http://www.wipika.com/userguide/index1.html .
        The wind range for your kite is somewhere in the 8-14 knots / 9-16
        mph range. In the beginning stay below the 14mph range even though
        you will want to go out in stronger wind. You need plenty of time
        with the kite before you start flying it in the upper range. Do all
        the steps in the video "How To Rip", DON'T Skip the steps! Check out
        this site as well
        http://members.attcanada.ca/~hungvu/kitesurfing.htm .
        Make sure your friend / assistant knows what you are learning about
        the kite, and how to launch and land it. Kite flying lines can cut
        right through skin if your assistant were to get caught up in the
        lines while launching and landing, so make sure you guys know what
        you are doing.

        Here is the scenario for disaster, and injury.

        1. Purchase a huge kiteboarding kite having never flown large
        traction kites before.

        2. Ignore or gloss over safety warnings and instructions, then go out
        and try and fly the kite on land or water anyhow.

        3. Have a friend help you that knows nothing about these large kites
        either.

        4. Try to fly the kite when something inside of you is unsure and the
        wind is to strong for your ability or your size kite. Be over
        confidant in your ability after only a few sessions of flying the
        kite.

        5. Don't pay attention to other people around you that could be in
        danger if something goes wrong.

        6. You may need legal and medical assistance if this approach is
        employed. You may even need to get your will in order.

        Here is the scenario for safety and success.

        1. Learn as much as possible about your kite, equipment, and how to
        fly. Read, view videos, and get instruction if you can. Pay close
        attention to details about safety. Wear safety equipment including
        life vest and helmet. Make sure you understand your kite's safety
        leash, and how it works. Then USE IT!

        2. Consciously slow your excitement down, so that your brain can
        catch up to your body, and then cause you to think about what you are
        doing. It is very easy to get overconfident as you progress, so take
        it a step at a time and don't get ahead of yourself.

        3. Never go out in overpowered conditions until you are well
        experienced. If in doubt DON'T DO IT!

        4. Be aware of other people around you that may wander into your area
        where they could be hurt if something goes wrong. Move away from
        people and go to an area that is open and unobstructed.

        5. Check your equipment before you go out and make sure it is in good
        shape. Don't be in such a hurry to get out that you are not aware of
        what you are doing. Error on the side of caution, rather than do
        stuff that you are unsure of what the outcome will be.

        6. One thing you need to train yourself to do is to keep the bar
        horizontal (parallel to the ground or water), when you are unsure of
        where the kite is and what it is doing. Usually you will be able to
        hang on in that position and the kite will end up depowered over your
        head when you stop. Don't use the bar to balance yourself in a way
        that makes you pull on the bar one way or the other, especially when
        you don't know where the kite is or what it is doing. If in doubt let
        the bar go and use your safety leash to depower the kite.

        This may all seem a bit overboard on safety, but it is well worth
        understanding the consequences involved if you make a mistake at the
        wrong time in this sport. If you take it a step at a time, and stay
        within your ability level, it is an incredibly fun sport to be
        involved with. Know that there will be frustrating times when the
        wind isn't blowing enough, or is blowing too much, or is blowing in
        the wrong direction, basically not doing what you want it to. Be
        patient and all those days of waiting and learning will pay off. You
        will have one of those magic days when it all comes together, and
        there is nothing like it. Please take care Roy.

        Mark

      • captain1@iname.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2001
          Roy,

          Dude you are one crazy mother... a park???

          On a serious note a park is not the best idea. These kites not only
          drag you along the ground but also up (You can be sitting with the
          kite in the "neutral"zone above you when a real strong gust comes
          along and simply picks you straight up and straight down!!).

          Whats more if you are beginning, you find that the going up is real
          easy, but letting yourself down gently is real hard. A 20 foot jump
          is not too dificult and you could easy break an ankle landing on a
          hard surface like this. Try find places wher there is soft sand like
          a beach if you want to fly.. that way you at least have a softer
          landing.

          Whatever you do do not try to jump on the park... the kite can really
          pull you high.

          By the way are you using a harness??

          Cheers

          Anthony

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Roy Hopper
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2001
            dont have a harness and i think im going to get the boat out and head over
            to a big sandy island to fly next time.i understand what everybody is saying
            about this thing can pull you like a truck....thanks...

          • captain1@iname.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2, 2001
              Roy,

              Sorry about sounding like a prophet of doom, but rather that then you
              hurt yourself (and you kite).

              If you have a four line kite then you should really get a harness
              (actually you should have one for any kite but more so for a 4 line).
              The reason I sy that is that if you hook your chicken loop (the one
              going through the bar and up spiltting into the two front lines) on
              the the bar then by moving the bar up you depower the kite, giving
              you a break when it is pulling hard - useful on the ground.

              Apart from that how are things going?? Is the power of the kite what
              you expected? I guess not.. i remember being totally freaked out by
              my first kite (a 7.5m baby). I still get freaked out whenever a gust
              catches me and tea bags me. I just bought the new 13m naish ARX and
              can say that this one pulls damn hard.. real cool!!!

              Later dude

              Anthony