ARX leash.. is it a good system

  • captain1@iname.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 6:48 AM
      Howdy folks,

      I have recently bought an ARX 13m (read that had it for 2 days).
      Something happened today that was pretty scary, I was wondering if
      this has happened to anyone else with the ARX.

      The new system has the leash connecting to a back line with a larks
      head. Well my kite went down in the shore breaks, resulting in the
      kite being hit by some white water. This really pulled me pretty hard
      so I let go of the control bar in the hope that leash would simply
      cause the kite to be pulled around liek it does in the air, making
      the pull less. However I found that the kite pulled just as hard on
      my arm untill it finally reached the beach and someone managed to
      help me.

      Upon further exmaniation of the lines I found that the larks head had
      allowed the leash connection to simply slide all the way down to the
      bar. Thus if the kite was pulled by the leash the actual line length
      difference was only the length of the bar, not enough to depower the
      kite.

      Fortunatly this happened in water, but if it were to happen in the
      air things could be a little worse having a kite spinning out of
      control at the end of your wrist.

      Can anyone tell me if they have ever found the leash to slip down
      like this as well?? If so maybe Naish should be made aware of the
      potential hazard.

      Thanks

      Anthony
    • pingo@gmx.de
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2 2:42 AM
        Hi

        I have an ARX 11.5. a great kite (improived my jumps from 3 m to now
        10 m!!), BUT

        I have the same problem. The leash is wandering down the line if used!
        And one time the leash just flipped from my wrist (I'm sure it was
        good attached!)!! I was lucky the kite drifted to the beach and I got
        it back!

        I think Naish should change the knot AND improve the the safety (not
        to loose the leash in any case!!)
      • captain1@iname.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2 6:45 AM
          Yeah I agree abou the know slipping. The leash however should be able
          to release if the pull is too great (ie white water taking your kite
          or even worse a boat!!)

          This is pretty worrying about the leash falling down cause it totally
          negates the leash's purpose. Actually if th eleash is slipped down
          and you let go of the bar for some reason what will happen is it will
          cause the kite to start spinning in the wind power window pulling you
          along by the wrist - a real hazard. I cannot find any emails for
          Naish themselves to ask their opinion.