Re: [ksurf] Gusty Wind Miracle Fix

  • kitesrfer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 1, 2001
      The first generation has only one bungie cord, the second has a doubled
      bungie cord. Your retailer or failing that NSI should take it back as an
      exchange or make other arrangements for you.

      << I have also had difficulties with the NSI Power Trim Loop System.
      Even though I do not ride overpowered and have yet to try a jump, my
      stitching is coming apart after only 3-4 sessions and I have yet to
      configure the bungee loop so that it will hook in. Does anyone know
      where I can get the largest possible spreader bar hook so that I
      MIGHT have a chance to hook in? I do not know what generation my NSI
      is, but it was purchased new in January.

    • Rainer Leuschke
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 1, 2001
        On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Dwight & Jacky wrote:

        > . I've gone back to a fixed harness line because I can unhook
        > > much quicker when the monster gusts hit.
        >
        > I push the bar away from me. I find this easier than trying to pull the bar
        > in and get that chicken loop.

        I have done the push-the-bar-away thing in gusts as well but I often can't
        push it far enough in big gusts. This has likely to do with the fact that
        you ride in winds coming of the ocean and your gusty wind is my steady
        treat. Also your board edges far harder than mine so you don't need to
        sheet as much as I do. I still suck at the edging thing and do most of
        the power control via sheeting.

        I don't doubt the results you got but I didn't get them and trying to
        figure out why.

        > The only time I can ride that like is when I'm so powered the chicken loop
        > is let out all the way. It's not comfortable for me to ride stroking the bar
        > in and out.

        When it's real gusty here, that's the only way that works for me. Hooking
        in and cruising in a steady breeze would certainly be more comfortable...

        > > Did you fly the bungie trim loop system with an Airblast with relaunch
        > > bridle?
        >
        > Yes I did fly it with the Air Blast. I did 3 reverse launches with NSI
        > system on my bar.

        Ah, that might make a big difference. The bridle cuts the range of rear
        line tension in half. I think that could make the bungie work much better.
        I have yet to try the bungue in combination with my bridle.
        Cheers,
        R!

        -- ,--+___. oOOOOOOo
        ,/ | \ / /
        ___ / | \. Rainer Leuschke / /
        __ / | \. phone: (w) 206-685-0900 / /
        __ / 14 |\ \ (h) 206-547-8927 / /
        | ~~ | \ \ / /
        | | \ \ / /
        | | \ \ Weight is only of use / /
        | | \ | in steamrollers. o /
        +--o o--| \ | - Uffa Fox 'U~
        .|_[]{ }_|------+======' )\
        M|_______________| -;---'
        U H
      • Mel
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 1, 2001
          Dwight & Jacky <fishersfort@...> wrote:

          > Making my chicken loop bigger and then making a main harness
          > line with bungee inside isn't too hard for anybody to do.

          I'm curious. Do you guys actually prefer a bigger smart loop? Some have
          commented that the large NSI loop means you can't sheet in as far, since the
          loop hits the bar.

          I just checked & DaKine still sells their "harness line pads" (to attach
          lines to the bar in case you don't want to just tie them) which would likely
          work as well with bungee as they do with solid line.
          http://dakine.com/windinv.asp?invky=4160-600-20
          www.murrays.com sells them, in case your local dealer doesn't.

          > > Since I'm always in the trim
          > > loop, that's all I need.

          > The only time I can ride that like is when I'm so powered the chicken loop
          > is let out all the way. It's not comfortable for me to ride stroking the
          bar
          > in and out.

          I'm confused again. I thought you were praising the merits of riding in the
          trim loop, with the bungie "stroking the bar in & out" for automatic
          sheeting in the gusts & lulls.

          Mel
        • Dwight & Jacky
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 1, 2001

            > I'm curious. Do you guys actually prefer a bigger smart loop? Some have
            > commented that the large NSI loop means you can't sheet in as far, since
            the
            > loop hits the bar.

            I like it because I just stay hooked into both lines all the time and just
            let the bungee do all the work.

            > I just checked & DaKine still sells their "harness line pads" (to attach
            > lines to the bar in case you don't want to just tie them) which would
            likely
            > work as well with bungee as they do with solid line.
            > http://dakine.com/windinv.asp?invky=4160-600-20
            > www.murrays.com sells them, in case your local dealer doesn't.

            I just made a bungee system for Jacky by cutting the rope out of a Dakine
            harness line and replacing it with bungee. I then made her chicken loop
            bigger.

            > > > Since I'm always in the trim
            > > > loop, that's all I need.
            >
            > > The only time I can ride that like is when I'm so powered the chicken
            loop
            > > is let out all the way. It's not comfortable for me to ride stroking the
            > bar
            > > in and out.

            I am praising it, mostly over the bungee doing all the work for me.

            Dwight

            > I'm confused again. I thought you were praising the merits of riding in
            the
            > trim loop, with the bungie "stroking the bar in & out" for automatic
            > sheeting in the gusts & lulls.
            >
            > Mel

          • Dwight & Jacky
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 1, 2001
              I just finished my third full day on the NSI bungee system. Today I was
              super powered on my 7.5 AR5 with my wakeboard. The winds were real gusty,
              hail storms hit within one hour of quitting for the day. The winds were from
              a low pressure system. Usually I hate days like that, but today the riding
              was very comfortable. My strap is showing signs of being cut by the D-ring
              stopper that holds the chicken loop. I guess they still have problems with
              this thing. The important lesson here is this concept is worth pursuing and
              soon we'll have it worked out. I think everybody should at least make one up
              and try it. It's real easy to make, and you just might be surprised by it. I
              find myself missing the challenge of hanging on in powerful gusts because
              this makes life so easy. The fun of standing around on the beach laughing at
              your buddies as they explode in big gusts, may be over.

              Dwight

              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 1, 2001
                Dwight & Jacky <fishersfort@...> wrote:

                > My strap is showing signs of being cut by the D-ring
                > stopper that holds the chicken loop. I guess they still have problems with
                > this thing. The important lesson here is this concept is worth pursuing
                and
                > soon we'll have it worked out.

                FLS already uses tubular webbing, to wear less against the ring. I don't
                know of any after-market bungie harness lines, but for now we should be able
                to make some very nice ones using those DaKine parts.

                Mel
              • gorgekiteboarder@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 2, 2001
                  One note of caution about cheap effective bungie solutions. I
                  experimented with bungie cords for my chicken loop a little bit last
                  summer, and immediately thought about the safety aspects. If your
                  chicken loop has a lot of travel or range, eventually your bungie
                  cord could snap when you're getting yanked super hard. I think it is
                  likely that the bar will be at or above eyeball height when the
                  bungie blows up, so there is potential for some really bad news. Two
                  things could help here.
                  1- the NSI system uses tubing and some heavy cordura for protection
                  against a snapping bungie.
                  2- tie a knot in the center leader 4 - 8 inches above the bar to
                  limit the amount that the bungie can be stretched.

                  Hope these thoughts are helpfull.

                  Spencer
                  Hood River