where to go in france

  • Ronny Basso
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2001
      what is the best kitesurfing spots around the montpellier aerea
      and what wind direction and strength are the most frequent and stable in this aerea during summer, autumn, winter and spring

      ronny basso
    • Pierre-André DUMAY
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2001
        Hi Ronny,

        I kitesurf around Montpellier and can give you the info you need :
        Winter is the best season for kitesurfing there, the wind is usualy strong
        and gusty and the beaches are empty. In winter time, I use my 4lined 5m2
        wipika classic the most. The wind is either the Tramontane coming from
        North-West or the Mistral coming from North. The Mistral is said to turn
        people crazy because it is so strong. These winds blow from 25 to 35 ++
        knots and are gusty, water is usually flat. They are also cold winds. Water
        temp goes down to 10° celsius at the coldest (jan-feb). These winds blow
        year round but are more frequent during the winter season. Be carefull
        because most of the spots are offshore with these conditions. Go to Le Grau
        du Roi or Port Camargue to be safe.
        Another frequent condition is the South East wind : it comes with warm but
        overcast weather and waves (can be pretty big). This wind is side on shore
        and the best spot is La Grande Motte. This spot is very crowded when the
        southeast blows (lots of windsurfers) but the beach is huge. The waves are
        not hawaii like, they brake all over the place but are fun to ride. Again
        the best chances you catch this wind is winter time. This wind is also
        strong and gusty (around 25-30 knots).

        During summertime you get onshore thermal winds everyday but it is also the
        tourist season. Be aware that our beaches are super crowded during the
        summer and kitesurfing is impossible in most of the places. The thermal wind
        blows at 10 to 15 knots an the water is usually flat.

        Get your high and gusty wind kite and a light wind kite and come on over,
        you'll have fun. For info my quiver is mae of a 5m2 wipika and a 9+
        Mosquito. I also keep a ATK 6,5 M2 to fit in between but I don't use it very
        often. I'm 70 kg and ride wakeboards.

        I believe you can find a map of the spots around Montpellier on the Axel Air
        web site (www.axelair.com).

        Hope this helps, see you in the water.

        Pierre