[ksurf] Re: kitesurf shop should know the power of the kites theypropose !

  • dave@machelp.com.au
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2001
      With all the discussion about projected area, do all manufacturers
      calculate this the same way? I'm sure it could be calculated with a
      kite design software package or it may be done using some more physical
      method such as atest rig or similar. And what about the differences
      between Arcs and inflatables, is there any difference in the way
      projected area is calculated between them?

      If there was a method of calculating projected area that was uniform
      but only adhered to by some manufacturers it would probably be better
      to have the total area from which the customer/shop could calculate the
      projected area. After all the total area is measurable by mere mortals
      with a tape measure and calculator.

      By the way Mel have you measured physically your AR5 7.5 compared to
      the 630 Arc. I'd be interested to know the difference as it seems only
      the projected areas are similar not the total areas!!!

      Have fun, Dave (Dr Surf)