I Flew the Monster, ARX 23.5

  • mike@talonsport.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2001
      I had the 23.5 out for a short test drive on Friday. The kite is
      HUGE. The leading edge bladder is over 16" in diameter. I was able to
      self launch very easily. The wind was very light 5-12 mph. I
      strongly recommend using the 30" bar supplied with the kite. I first
      flew it with a 26" Airush bar and I did not have enough bar to keep
      it turning. Switching the 30" Naish bar helped. The new Naish bar is
      a big improvement over last year's. The small diameter grip is nice,
      especially when wearing thick gloves.

      It has a ton power when you can keep in turning in the power zone.
      I've never kiteboarded in water so smooth because the wind was so
      light. My kite handling skills were a bit rusty from the winter and I
      was crashing the kite often. It turns slower then the AR5 15.5. The
      wind died after 30 minutes so I didn't have time to get really dialed
      in. I couldn't get it flip over once the wind dropped to around 8. It
      needs a good little gust to flip it over. Once it's on its side it
      stays rigid and relaunches easy. I'd like to try running the front
      lines a few inches longer so it would fly a little "hotter" with more
      pressure on the back lines. I think that might improve its turning in
      light wind. I was flying it with all the lines even. I am also going
      to try a longer bar. I never had enough wind to get overpowered so I
      can't comment on its high end.

      The day ended with the wind changing to the North and it started to
      snow. That's March kiteboarding in Utah. Book your tickets now, mid
      40 degree water and air temps only last a month or so.

      Later,

      Mike

      www.talonsport.com