Re: wakeboards in cold water- no booties

  • fishersfort@attglobal.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
      --- In kitesurf@y..., jimbocanniff@y... wrote:
      > Has anyone been using a wakeboard in cold water? What do you put on
      > your feet? Booties just won't fit into wake binding made for bare
      > feet. Does anyone use neprene socks? Or do you get the bungy
      bindings
      > for boooootie season and switch when it's warm enough for barefeet?
      >
      > Just wondering, I'm about 2 weeks away from getting my Naish
      > wakeboard, but our current water temp is between 35-40 F....as in
      > freaking cold. Winter cannot end soon enough! :(
      >
      > -Jimbo

      If you have never used a wakeboard before it might be better to put
      footstraps in the binding holes. This way you can use booties until
      the water warms up and you'll avoid a lot of very cold dunks while
      you try to learn wakeboarding.

      Dwight
    • Boaz
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
        Jimbo,

        I've been using mine here in So Cal where the water is in the 50s - not as cold as you have it, but nonetheless chilly. I find that the only problematic area are the toes since all other parts of the foot are tightly covered by Neo. So, I experimented with a thin layer of Neo over the area where my toes are and the feet felt much better. The one problem, was that one of the feet lost the attachment so I have to figure out a better way to do it. Also, I am not sure if that will work in water as cold as your conditions offer.

        As far as Dwight's input is concerned - if you're already a twin-tip user, than moving to bindings is not a problem and it should take you no more than 30 minutes to fully get used to them (at which point you will never use straps again - trust me on this one). But, if you are coming from a directional background and have never been on a twintip - then Dwight is absolutely correct. Don't even think about bindings. In fact, I recommend for people who are just starting their transition to a BI-directional board to not use bungies at all the first time out.

        Let me know if the Neo layer works fro you.

        Stay warm,

        Boaz
      • Ronald Kittag
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
          I was thinking about using old Snowboardbindings and some old water-proove
          boots, but I've never tried it.

          May also be a stupid idea though.

          Later Ronald
        • notakook@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001

            << was thinking about using old Snowboardbindings and some old water-proove
            boots, but I've never tried it.

            May also be a stupid idea though. >>

            Not a terrible idea but I wouldn't use boots. Way to heavy when wet. Use
            booties and then an old pair of skate shoes! I remeber seeing wakeboarders
            doing this exact same thing a few years back when bindings where REALLY
            terrible. You might wanna remove the highback though.

            Brent
          • fishersfort@attglobal.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
              --- In kitesurf@y..., "Ronald Kittag" <h9050408@f...> wrote:
              > I was thinking about using old Snowboardbindings and some old water-
              proove
              > boots, but I've never tried it.
              >
              > May also be a stupid idea though.
              >
              > Later Ronald

              I know a guy who does that. It works!

              Dwight
            • fishersfort@attglobal.net
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
                --- In kitesurf@y..., fishersfort@a... wrote:
                > --- In kitesurf@y..., "Ronald Kittag" <h9050408@f...> wrote:
                > > I was thinking about using old Snowboardbindings and some old
                water-
                > proove
                > > boots, but I've never tried it.
                > >
                > > May also be a stupid idea though.
                > >
                > > Later Ronald
                >
                > I know a guy who does that. It works!
                >
                > Dwight

                He uses neoprene booties. His board was home made. I don't know if
                the screw holes would match up on a stock board.
              • Richard Maise
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
                  Use Sandal type bindings. Then you can adjust them to fit any booties
                  for any temperature. I think NICE sandals are the best ones out.
                  Thats what I use.
                  http://www.nicegoods.com/2001_Kite_mainpage.htm

                • mikes1p@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 22, 2001
                    A buddy of mine used NSI Tantrum bindings on his Liquid Force 142
                    with booties and loved them. Might be too tight if you have big feet.

                    Since he is still learning he has switched to footstrap & bungy
                    bindings, he found being locked in was awesome for riding but was a
                    bit too scary when he crashed and was getting worked by the kite