Re: [ksurf] kiting ban on Bonaire??

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2001
      Lac bay is an awsome windsurf spot
      it would rule for kiting
      windsurfed ther a few years ago
      i hope that it isn't banned
      cuz i am doin 2 weeks in aruba at the end of the year
      you can get to bonare by boat and i want to go ther 4 a few days
      i think careless use of kites will get us banned from a lot of spots in the
      future
      it may be true
      i hope it isn't
      Later
      Dan

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2001
        I've windsurfed there too and it would an awesome spot for kiting. Don't know
        about about a ban, but there are a few places one could launch from. Maybe
        laying your lines out and launching right in front of the windsurf sails at
        jibe city , or better yet the nudist beach next door could cause problems (or
        damage!). Don't know if that is still there! Both aren't huge beaches. But
        you could walk about 5-10 minutes down wind and around the conrer from Jibe
        city to wher Burr Hazen used to have his rental place (windsurf palace ithink
        it was callled) and launch there no problem. Even if the guys at jibe city
        wanted it banned I don't think they could really do anythin about you
        launching in other spots!
        Or you could drive all the way around the bay to a spot near the reef pass
        and sail there. That would actually be the primo spot because you could sail
        just downwind of the reef in dead flat water and steady wind! I sailed a
        place like that, downwind of a exposed reef in Grand Cayman this winter and
        it was awesome..1-2 inches of chop and steady winds!

        -Peter

      • theraves@optonline.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
          To be specific, I emailed Jibe City to see if they rented
          kiteboards. They answered simply, "Sorry, no, kiteboarding isn't
          permitted in Lac Bay." No mention of who doesn't permit it. But I
          gather that some of it is a marine preserve, maybe that has something
          to do with it. The only hotels on the bay seem to be the Sorobon
          (nudist resort) and Lac Bay Resort (some kind of windsurfer complex).

          Any more information or confirmation one way or the other would be
          great. Bonaire was working its way up on my list. A ban would
          suck. If it's official (gov't) that's one thing, if Jibe City
          doesn't want their solitude disturbed by crazed dopes on roipes
          that's another. Let's plan a mass kitefest there for educational
          purposes!

          -Dave

          --- In kitesurf@y..., Peter Traykovski <ptraykovski@w...> wrote:
          > I've windsurfed there too and it would an awesome spot for kiting.
          Don't know about about a ban, but there are a few places one could
          launch from. Maybe laying your lines out and launching right in front
          of the windsurf sails at jibe city , or better yet the nudist beach
          next door could cause problems (or damage!). Don't know if that is
          still there! Both aren't huge beaches. But you could walk about 5-10
          minutes down wind and around the conrer from Jibe city to wher Burr
          Hazen used to have his rental place (windsurf palace ithink
          > it was callled) and launch there no problem. Even if the guys at
          jibe city wanted it banned I don't think they could really do anythin
          about you launching in other spots!
          > Or you could drive all the way around the bay to a spot near the
          reef pass and sail there. That would actually be the primo spot
          because you could sail just downwind of the reef in dead flat water
          and steady wind! I sailed a place like that, downwind of a exposed
          reef in Grand Cayman this winter and
          > it was awesome..1-2 inches of chop and steady winds!
          >
          > -Peter
          >
          > theraves@o... wrote:
          >
          > > Just got an email from somebody at Jibe City on Lac Bay, they said
          > > kitesurfing on the bay is forbidden. Has anybody ehard about
          this?
          > > Sounds like an absolutely primo spot for it.
          > >
          > > -Dave
        • Peter Traykovski
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
            theraves@... wrote:

            > To be specific, I emailed Jibe City to see if they rented
            > kiteboards. They answered simply, "Sorry, no, kiteboarding isn't
            > permitted in Lac Bay." No mention of who doesn't permit it. But I
            > gather that some of it is a marine preserve, maybe that has something
            > to do with it. The only hotels on the bay seem to be the Sorobon
            > (nudist resort) and Lac Bay Resort (some kind of windsurfer complex).

            Huh, that's interesting. I'd suspect that it is the jibe city guys. I doubt
            the governement/nature preserve would even know about kitesurfing to ban it!

            It is a nature preserve...lots of flamingos..don't fly an pink kite they
            might get excited and then kitetrouble....

            Lac Bay resort is where I stayed. They had some agreement with what was the
            windsurf palace, but it is about a 5-10 min drive (20-25 min walk) from the
            windsurfng/kitesurfing beaches. Right in front of the hotel is pretty thick
            with mangroves

            It is high on potenatial vacation spots for me too. I'll do a bit of looking
            into this ban.
          • Kinsley@XtremeBigAir.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
              Forget it Dave. go to Cabarett of Dominican Republic... More fun..

              go Xtreme,
              Kinsley Wong
              http://XtremeBigAir.com

            • Peter Traykovski
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
                Kinsley@... wrote:

                > Forget it Dave. go to Cabarett of Dominican Republic... More fun..
                >
                > go Xtreme,
                > Kinsley Wong
                > http://XtremeBigAir.com

                Based on windsurfing trips to both places I would disagree. Don't know about
                that other bay that they go to for kiting in DR, but the beach at cabarette
                gets a pretty good swell and chop coming over the reef. This (and the
                breaking waves on the reef) would be good for kitesurfing if you are into
                kite wave sailing or bouncing on the chop on the inside. DR can get some
                pretty good sideshore wave sailing on a deep reef..bonaire is a bit dicey for
                wave sailing since the wind is more onshore...and the reef is very
                shallow/exposed.

                If your after glassy flat water and steady winds bonaire can not be beat.

                The wind also seemed lighter and gustier at DR than bonaire due to Bonaires
                more southern location in the more consistent trades region. Cabarete is a
                much better party town with bars/restaurants right on the beach! Bonaire has
                the best scuba diving I've ever seen while DR has good mounatin biking and
                surfing too.

                -Peter

              • theraves@optonline.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
                  --- In kitesurf@y..., Kinsley@X... wrote:
                  > Forget it Dave. go to Cabarett of Dominican Republic... More fun..
                  >
                  > go Xtreme,
                  > Kinsley Wong
                  > http://XtremeBigAir.com

                  Been there, done that! It WAS fun! I may go back, but it would be
                  nice to try other places too. All reports suggest that Lac Bay would
                  be awesome.

                  -Dave
                • theraves@optonline.net
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
                    --- In kitesurf@y..., Peter Traykovski <ptraykovski@w...> wrote:
                    > Kinsley@X... wrote:
                    >
                    > > Forget it Dave. go to Cabarett of Dominican Republic... More
                    fun..

                    > > go Xtreme,
                    > > Kinsley Wong
                    > > http://XtremeBigAir.com
                    >
                    > Based on windsurfing trips to both places I would disagree. Don't
                    > know about that other bay that they go to for kiting in DR, but
                    > the beach at cabarette gets a pretty good swell and chop coming
                    > over the reef.

                    I've kitesurfed there and it's pretty nice. kitesurf beach is the
                    next bay around to the west, much smaller than the main bay. The
                    shore break there seemed way smaller than around the point in the
                    main bay, significantly flatter too till you go out to the reef. Not
                    flat water, but far flatter than ocean off RI or LI.

                    But if you get blown too far downwind for whatever reason you're
                    well and truly screwed, the beach turns into coral reef topped by a
                    cliff. I experienced this when a pigtail snapped as I got blown in
                    with a half-dead Mossie that kept half death spiraling.

                    > This (and the breaking waves on the reef) would be good for
                    > kitesurfing if you are into kite wave sailing or bouncing on the
                    > chop on the inside. DR can get some pretty good sideshore wave
                    > sailing on a deep reef..

                    For sure! But I'm not gonna take a chance with a ban. If you learn
                    anything please post!

                    -Dave