ARX first impressions

  • David Trewern
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
      I picked up my new ARX 9.5 yesterday, and used it tonight and last night.
      The materials seem pretty similar to the late model AR5's, maybe a little
      tougher. When you pump it up, it seems very similar to AR5, the bladders are
      the same size etc.

      I have noticed the Cabrinha strut bladders are huge - I think this would
      make the kite more stable.

      Incedentally, A friend of mine has a two line Cabrinha and loves it. He says
      it leaves his old 8.5 Wipika free air for dead. It's higher AR, and is more
      responsive, more stable and generates more lift. He reckons he was getting
      easily another 5 feet on his first session.

      Anyway, back to the ARX... The bar is pretty cool - smaller diameter than
      the longhorn (which I like). It has the dodgey old Naish safety system, but
      I changed it to a re-ride style in 5 minutes. Just add an O ring above the
      rubber ends, and pass the leader through with a ball stopper in the end.

      The rubber ends of the bar are pretty dodgey, but seem to work fine. I think
      I will actually use this bar instead of my longhorn - which is saying
      something. The longhorn is much more solid with it;s horns, but I am sick of
      wearing through leaders.

      The bar could have been much better - but it is 200% better than the last
      Naish bar. It's lighter than the Cabrinha bar, and has the trusty Chicken
      loop and strap included.

      I really didn't expect the kite to fly much differently to the AR5 - but it
      does. It is definitely much more balanced and refined. It seems much more
      stable, and doesn't do the Jellyfish manouvre at all. In big gusts, it
      speeds up and slows down, but the whole kite holds its shape and pulls
      smoothly. It seems to sit differently in the air too.

      I also think it has more top end because of the way it slices through the
      air in a balanced way -without the wobble. Then again, the lack of wobble
      might also have been a result of the fact that the kite is brand new and the
      bladders etc are very stiff.

      At the end of the day, I kitesurfed better than I have for a while, and
      managed heaps of succesfull 1080's which I haven't really done before. It
      might have been sue to the kite being more stable and predictable - or maybe
      it was simply phsycological!

      It's probably only a minor difference to the Ar5, but it is a noticeable
      improvement none the less. The bar sizes are perfect, and the harness line
      lengths are what I would want too.

      Doesn't really seem to turn any faster (but maybe more precisely) if
      anything I think slower - but it could have been the feel of the bar. The
      kite feels great through - no complaints.

      They really should ship it with a better leash system though...

      DT
    • fishersfort@attglobal.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
        How does the construction on the ARX and the CO2 compare?

        Dwight
      • bitme1234@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2001
          My 11.5 arx is three feet longer than my 11.5 ar5!

          Todd

        • fishersfort@attglobal.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2001
            --- In kitesurf@y..., bitme1234@y... wrote:
            > My 11.5 arx is three feet longer than my 11.5 ar5!
            >
            > Todd

            Does the aspect ratio look higher in the air, or does it simply look
            bigger?

            Dwight