[ksurf] Re: Very light wind kite

  • Nick Boucart
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 1999
      > P.S. I still has not received any comments about how low a wind you can
      > fly a C-Quad.
      >
      > Hung.

      Well, a cquad will almost allways fly, I even tried a 3.2 cquad indoors
      (just for the fun of it) and it is remarkable how easy it flies, already
      giving some pull on the lines. I tried a 6.3 in almost no wind, probably
      some 2 or 3 mph, and I already slided over the beach, very slowly but
      still..... Note that I weigh 90 kg, so anyone lighter would have real fun
      with it..... The same day, I got the chance to fly a 8.4 cquad prototype,
      that gave even more power, slow, massive power, so I think that will be one
      of the ultimate low wind kites. Don't know about foils, although I've seen
      people buggy in the same winds with a big 9 square meter Jojo.

      Nick.

    • Ronald Kittag
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 1999
        Hi Nick!

        > I tried a 6.3 in almost no wind, probably
        > some 2 or 3 mph, and I already slided over the beach, very slowly but
        > still.....

        How did you set up the briddle? I also tried to fly a C-quad 6.3 in similar
        conditions but had the problem that the kite tends to stall and falls down to
        the ground like a rock.

        Ronald

      • Ronald Kittag
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 1999
          > Hi Nick!
          >
          > How did you set up the briddle? I also tried to fly a C-quad 6.3 in similar
          > conditions but had the problem that the kite tends to stall and falls down to
          > the ground like a rock.
          >
          > Ronald

          But I have forgot to say that if the wind is sligtly stronger these problems are gone and it flies perfektly.

        • Nick Boucart
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 1999
            Ronald Kittag wrote:

            > Hi Nick!
            >
            > How did you set up the briddle? I also tried to fly a C-quad 6.3 in similar
            > conditions but had the problem that the kite tends to stall and falls down to
            > the ground like a rock.
            >
            > Ronald

            I just got the kite out of the bag, attached my flying lines onto the bridle and
            of we went. It is however very important to fly the cquad like a real four line
            kite, like e.g. a revolution, that means you have to keep your hand together at
            any time, steering the kite with the brake lines only. If you try to steer the
            kite like a regular dual line kite, the cquad becomes unstable and even crashed,
            probably the thing you experienced. Also very important is the relative length
            of the brake line, adjust it so that when the cquad is above you, hands in
            neutral position, there's almost no tension on the brakes, so that when you
            apply the brakes, it should have immedeate effect on the kite.

            Hope this helps.

            Nick.

          • Raul F. Argilagos
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 1999
              Hi all!

              We also tried to fly a 6.3 C Quad in 10mph and it does not fly period!
              It would jump in the air then plummet like a rock. Any attempt to alter
              the bridle to make it fly made it fly even less! My opinion is that this
              kite doesn't work for kitesurfing. Even experienced equipment testers
              like Ken Winner and Alf Imperato came to the same conclusions on
              kite that I did.

              Raul

              Hi Nick!

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 1999
                Hi Raul!

                I disagree with you:

                > We also tried to fly a 6.3 C Quad in 10mph and it does not fly period!
                > It would jump in the air then plummet like a rock. Any attempt to alter
                > the bridle to make it fly made it fly even less! My opinion is that this
                > kite doesn't work for kitesurfing.

                When I said I had problems with the kite it was in verry lite winds. It just
                needs more than 10 knots -at least for my weight (83kg) and skill-level
                (beginner)- than it flies perfecly creating an enormous, steady pull. I had my
                best rides on a C-Quad because I didn´t have to work the kite. I could park it in
                the 2 o´clock position and concentrate on my board.
                C-Quads do work for kitesurfing!

                Ronald

                Ronald

              • O1withwind@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 1999
                  In a message dated 6/1/99 1:48:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time, hungvu@...
                  writes:

                  > I looked at the Quadrifoil home page and found this Quadrifoil xxxl 9.66
                  > m2 (8.52 m2 projected) kite at
                  > http://206.222.80.69/Competition/compxxxl.htm. According to the spec,
                  > the quadrifoil can fly starting from 2 mph (which is less than 2
                  > knots). It seems to be the ideal kite for 2 - X knots wind kitesurfing
                  > (nothing is water relaucnheable at this windspeed, just try to keep the
                  > kite in the air, a skill one have to learn in very light wind
                  > kitesurfing). Has anybody had any experience with this kite?
                  >
                  > P.S. I still has not received any comments about how low a wind you can
                  > fly a C-Quad.
                  >
                  > Hung.

                  Hung,
                  I Flew the new XXXL kite in Junuary at the treasure Island kite
                  competitions. Jeff Howard and I used it for a kitesurfing exibition. In
                  6kts we were able to get up and surf but no upwind action. In 8kts upwind
                  becomes posible as well as jumping. We were using 40m lines and the
                  quadrifoil kitesurf board.
                  PEACE&WIND
                  Josh Young <o1withwind@...>

                • Michel Montmigny
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 1, 1999
                    O1withwind@... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 6/1/99 1:48:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time, hungvu@...
                    > writes:
                    >
                    > > I looked at the Quadrifoil home page and found this Quadrifoil xxxl 9.66
                    > > m2 (8.52 m2 projected) kite at
                    > > http://206.222.80.69/Competition/compxxxl.htm. According to the spec,
                    > > the quadrifoil can fly starting from 2 mph (which is less than 2
                    > > knots). It seems to be the ideal kite for 2 - X knots wind kitesurfing
                    > > (nothing is water relaucnheable at this windspeed, just try to keep the
                    > > kite in the air, a skill one have to learn in very light wind
                    > > kitesurfing). Has anybody had any experience with this kite?
                    > >
                    > > P.S. I still has not received any comments about how low a wind you can
                    > > fly a C-Quad.
                    > >
                    > > Hung.
                    >
                    > Hung,
                    > I Flew the new XXXL kite in Junuary at the treasure Island kite
                    > competitions. Jeff Howard and I used it for a kitesurfing exibition. In
                    > 6kts we were able to get up and surf but no upwind action. In 8kts upwind
                    > becomes posible as well as jumping. We were using 40m lines and the
                    > quadrifoil kitesurf board.
                    > PEACE&WIND
                    > Josh Young <o1withwind@...>

                    > [click here]
                    > Click Here!
                    >
                    > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf

                    Hello,

                    I should tell that at the 1999 Ice & Snow Sailing World Championship,
                    everybody seen the Concept Air real power and control of the excellent
                    EX'S 9.0 sq/m mesured on floor against any other brand that was present.

                    My weight is 160# and I do kitesurf at 4.5 knots without going upwind.
                    At 5 knots, I do upwind. at 6 Yeah, the lines are singing and the board
                    is making a very nice sound.

                    Michel

                  • paul_sexstone@westpac.com.au
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 1, 1999
                      i think your 6.3 has a problem, mine also flies in wind that you can barely feel
                      on your face, and can fly 360 in no wind. it has no problem stalling/luffing and
                      is good upto about 10kts (if you dare!)

                      "Raul F. Argilagos" <raul@...> on 02/06/99 01:44:13

                      Please respond to kitesurf@egroups.com

                      To: "'kitesurf@egroups.com'" <kitesurf@egroups.com>
                      cc: (bcc: Paul Sexstone/FO/WLG/IIBG)
                      Subject: [ksurf] Re: Very light wind kite

                      Hi all!

                      We also tried to fly a 6.3 C Quad in 10mph and it does not fly period!
                      It would jump in the air then plummet like a rock. Any attempt to alter
                      the bridle to make it fly made it fly even less! My opinion is that this
                      kite doesn't work for kitesurfing. Even experienced equipment testers
                      like Ken Winner and Alf Imperato came to the same conclusions on
                      kite that I did.

                      Raul

                      Hi Nick!

                      > I tried a 6.3 in almost no wind, probably
                      > some 2 or 3 mph, and I already slided over the beach, very slowly but
                      > still.....

                      How did you set up the briddle? I also tried to fly a C-quad 6.3 in similar
                      conditions but had the problem that the kite tends to stall and falls down to
                      the ground like a rock.

                      Ronald

                      eGroups Spotlight:
                      "VetQuest-Your Free Weekly EZine" - Get the latest news and information
                      about being a veteran or a family member of one.
                      http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/128