Size Comparison file(s) added !

  • Peter Frank
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
      I just made a folder under files called "Kite Sizes" - with a little
      GIF picture taken from excel, which shows the correct sizing of kites
      (from the patent), and a comparison between some of the newest 4 line
      kites.

      I've checked with the companies - that this is indeed the way the
      sizing is carried out.

      This is simply a Size comparison - not a windrange table (even though
      it will be fairly accurate in the same neighbourhood for these kites).

      The Range.xls (mopman365) file should maybe reside in this folder too.
      It is really incredible, to see so many different ways of
      defining "wind range" from the different companies...

      This means, that you can not use the wind range, given by
      manufacturers, for anything, really !!!

      Although, some are much more precise and trustworthy than other.

      But the Sizing is simple:

      Standard Sizing = Surface area [m2] / 1.36

      Wipika and Cabrinha prints Std. Sizing on their kites.
      Naish AR5 prints Surface area and projected area.
      Naish ARX prints Surface area (and ? - I don't know yet).

      The projected area of a kite, is NOT the standard Sizing - but it is
      the "shadow" size of a kite when flying.
      This size is much smaller than the Std. Sizing value (f.ex 60%, and
      depending on kite design/size/shape/AR)- but as long as they give us
      the size in either surface area or Std. Size - we can use it and
      compare quite okay, for the same type of kites.

      Peter Frank, DK.
    • fishersfort@attglobal.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
        > It is really incredible, to see so many different ways of
        > defining "wind range" from the different companies...
        >
        > This means, that you can not use the wind range, given by
        > manufacturers, for anything, really !!!
        >
        > Although, some are much more precise and trustworthy than other.
        > Peter Frank, DK.

        Check this chart out for some good wind range numbers. I made this
        from information Naish put out for the ARX kites. These wind ranges
        seems to be the most accurate I have seen. If you consider these to
        be steady winds, they look right. There will always be guys quoting
        high wind numbers from measuring gusts, but I don't go by gust
        numbers.

        Naish put out numbers for the R3 too, but I choose not to use them.
        They seemed very low and geared toward beginners.

        Dwight
      • Peter Frank
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
          Yes - The wind range in the KitePrices.jpg seem really realistic, at
          least they correspond with my experience and measurements of average
          wind regarding sizes 5.5 to 16 m2 !
          The best match I've seen yet.

          And as you say - the R3 figures must be for beginners and/or BIG
          boards, otherwise they would have a higher lower limit.

          :-) Peter

        • jquick1@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
            Ya this chart seems right on.

            This means solid sailing in 8 MPH with the 22+ M kites... cant wait!

            Jeff

          • cglazier@home.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
              Peter
              The kite size graphic looks good. Thanks.

              However, I am a bit concerned that you have reposted the data file
              using my name. I originally gathered that data and you are welcome to
              use it but it is out of date. There was some discussion in this group
              about the wind ranges and the current version of the file (posted in
              the files area, "Kite_area.html") has an important disclaimer
              explaining that the wind range data is highly subjective. The current
              version also has a bit more data.

              Your copy of this data file is now the second copy of the same data
              to appear in this groups Files area, and of course I cannot correct
              it or update it ...but it has my name on it.

              So I suggest that we maintain just one data file of Kite Areas. When
              I find any new data I will update it. And if you create a new chart
              from this data, just post the chart, but don't repost the data file.

              It's not a big deal, but it will keep this groups Files area cleaner.

              Chris Glazier

            • jquick1@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
                Ya this chart seems right on.

                This means solid sailing in 8 MPH with the 22+ M kites... cant wait!

                Jeff

                --- In kitesurf@y..., fishersfort@a... wrote:
                > > It is really incredible, to see so many different ways of
                > > defining "wind range" from the different companies...
                > >
                > > This means, that you can not use the wind range, given by
                > > manufacturers, for anything, really !!!
                > >
                > > Although, some are much more precise and trustworthy than other.
                > > Peter Frank, DK.

                > Check this chart out for some good wind range numbers. I made this
                > from information Naish put out for the ARX kites. These wind ranges
                > seems to be the most accurate I have seen. If you consider these to
                > be steady winds, they look right. There will always be guys quoting
                > high wind numbers from measuring gusts, but I don't go by gust
                > numbers.
                >
                > Naish put out numbers for the R3 too, but I choose not to use them.
                > They seemed very low and geared toward beginners.
                >
                > Dwight
              • Peter Frank
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
                  I was aware of the problem.
                  Don't worry - I havent used any data, or copied/reposted any files !

                  I just wrote, that the guy who made the range.xls could move it to
                  this folder...

                  The files I posted was simply the size comparison - no wind ranges.

                  Peter.