Early Airblast impressions

  • kitesrfer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2001
      I finally had enough wind to go out with the Airblast 11.8 m. The wind came
      up to around 20 to 22 mph sideshore and the kite was still well behaved and
      had room for more wind. I was having some bar problems so I dumped the kite
      by accident twice after jumps. The kite relaunched very readily, I would say
      on par with or perhaps easier than my old AR5 15.5. The kite was stable and
      the speed managable. The kite pulled similar to my 15.5 m but perhaps that
      was because of the higher wind conditions.

      I was able to solo launch and land the kite pretty easily. For launching I
      bent up one wing tip slightly on a sand mound and piled sand on top of it.
      The end remained fixed in place without slippage until I launched. For solo
      landing on land I tried to do the normal AR5 approach consisting of flying
      the kite down and pivoting it over on its leading edge and rapidly pulling
      the leading edge into the wind. This approach was not as sucessful as with
      the AR5 but worked well enough after a few tries.

      Before today I had tried to take the kite out in low to submarginal winds
      just to rig it and fly it. The winds were around 10 to 12 mph with frequent
      lulls. The higher aspect ratio of the kite was more than obvious as the kite
      would tend to tumble over on the leading edge or in the other direction. I
      was beginning to worry about the general sucess of solo launching this kite.
      It turns out that if there is enough wind it solo launches very easily. I am
      not sure what the minimum wind speed is for ease of launching at this early
      point but whatever it is it is higher than an AR5 15.5 m kite.

      Looking forward to more time with this kite in good winds,
      Rick
    • Peter Frank
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2001
        Just one little comment:

        No wonder it pulled like the 15.5 !
        The surface area of the Airblast 11.8 is 16.0 m2.
        I'll post a comparison table of sizes to the files.

        The high AR means, that in very (too)light wind - you should pull in
        the trim lines, if the kite tends to stall backwards.

        The very high Aspect Ratio, means highly improved performance and
        upwind ability - but it has to be "flown" with some speed, in
        extremely light wind.

        In normal powered conditions, you can park the 11.8 kite anywhere in
        the air, without problems.

        Peter Frank.