[ksurf] Re: COM Better upwind kites

  • Lachlan Gifford
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6, 1997
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Cory Roeseler <cory@...>
      To: kitesurf@egroups.com <kitesurf@egroups.com>
      Date: Tuesday, 1 June 1999 16:22
      Subject: [ksurf] Re: COM Better upwind kites
      >C-quad has a very flexible airframe and many bridle lines. It goes upwind
      >extremely well in a very narrow range of windspeeds. This, because it's
      >excellent (4 line) maneuverability allows it to be held at the optimum
      angle
      >to the wind, but the bridle is so restricting, the kite isn't allowed to
      >'flex off' in the gusts.

      Cory, Cant quite agree with your comment here about the "extremely narrow
      range of wind speeds" and not "flexing off"

      I havnt used your kiteski so they may well be a narrow windrange compared to
      it, but compared to foils, I believe the C Quads have a considerably greater
      windrange.

      CQuads can be depowered up to about 50 percent during gusts, by letting off
      the brakes to the point where the kite is kept on the edge of luffing. For
      a pilot with reasonable experience this is not a difficult balance to
      maintain. It is actually a terrific feature of the C quads, this ability
      to dramatically depower during gusts.

      >spouses of on-duty servicemen and women.
      >http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/118
      >

      >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf

    • Cory Roeseler
      Message 2 of 3 , May 31, 1999
        Hung,

        Two things make a kite go upwind well: speed and range. Speed is the kite's
        relative velocity across the horizon, and range is the kite's ability to
        adapt to the changing conditions.

        Wipika has moderate speed, and it adapts very little to changes in relative
        wind, therefore it has moderate upwind performance.

        Sky Tiger, Mosquito, Advance, Peel, F-one and Concept air are what I call
        "fast foils". Much like flexi-foils, these ram air wings like to fly fast
        and therefore require longer lines and nearly constant up and down motion to
        keep the kite in the power zone. These "fast foils" go upwind well with a
        skilled pilot, because you can always fly them out of the power zone fairly
        quickly and keep them pulling on the edge. None of these adapt much to
        changes in conditions, although Peter Lynn made a valiant attempt at a
        'reefable bridle' system for the Peel 5 years ago.

        C-quad has a very flexible airframe and many bridle lines. It goes upwind
        extremely well in a very narrow range of windspeeds. This, because it's
        excellent (4 line) maneuverability allows it to be held at the optimum angle
        to the wind, but the bridle is so restricting, the kite isn't allowed to
        'flex off' in the gusts.

        Kiteski has a flexible airframe, which distorts like a windsurf sail when
        over-powered. As it distorts, the leading edge is swept back, and the kite
        speeds up, accelerating out of the power zone. When it gets to the edge of
        the power zone it un-sweeps and slows down. This 'self-regulating' feature
        broadens the range for upwind performance, and requires much less 'up and
        down' motion with the kite. Kiteski is slow when you need it to be in the
        power zone and fast when you need it to get out to the edge.

        Of course, any of these kites can be flown as four-liners, which improves
        maneuverability, but then, that's a different issue...

        I hope this helps,

        Cory

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 1999
          Lachlan Gifford wrote:

          >Cory, Cant quite agree with your comment here about the "extremely narrow
          >range of wind speeds" and not "flexing off"
          >
          >I havnt used your kiteski so they may well be a narrow windrange compared
          >it, but compared to foils, I believe the C Quads have a considerably
          greater
          >windrange.
          >
          >CQuads can be depowered up to about 50 percent during gusts, by letting off
          >the brakes to the point where the kite is kept on the edge of luffing. For
          >a pilot with reasonable experience this is not a difficult balance to
          >maintain. It is actually a terrific feature of the C quads, this ability
          >to dramatically depower during gusts.

          G'day,

          A good point. This depower feature (which I often call "speed-bar" after
          paraglider speed systems) can also be great for coping with overpowering due
          to "apparent wind build up". This is particularly useful for combating
          lateral slip in buggies where one can't just "dig the rail in" a little
          further. It is an advanced technique which can improve upwind performance
          also. The C-Quad is an amazing kite which rewards experienced flyers who are
          able to fly actively and set-up their kite appropriately. It is not so
          amazing for those who want greater "passive" safety or are not so
          experienced.

          By the sound of it, the twist-off feature of the Kiteski works like the
          twist of a windsurfing sail. In this regard, I imagine that it works
          "automatically" (i.e. without specific control imputs from the flyer). I
          think that this system would be more suitable for more people and may be the
          best option for gust control. The manual "depower" feature of the C-Quad is
          less accessible and is better for less instantaneous depowering requirements
          (i.e. not gusts).

          Smooth winds,

          Paul