[ksurf] Re: Very light wind kite

  • Lachlan Gifford
    Message 1 of 10 , May 5, 1997
      From: Hung Vu <hungvu@...>
      To: kitesurf@egroups.com <kitesurf@egroups.com>
      Date: Tuesday, 1 June 1999 15:48
      Subject: [ksurf] Very light wind kite

      Hung,

      The 8.5m CQuad with a carbon frame and Icarex sail
      you could fly down to about 2 mph or less depending .............I dont know
      if I would like to be trying to be on water with any kite in 2mph though.
      It is not much wind and you havnt much water speed to go upwind to maintain
      line tension, but it just depends how good you are I guess.

      Lachlan

      >I looked at the Quadrifoil home page and found this Quadrifoil xxxl 9.66
      >m2 (8.52 m2 projected) kite at
      >http://206.222.80.69/Competition/compxxxl.htm. According to the spec,
      >the quadrifoil can fly starting from 2 mph (which is less than 2
      >knots). It seems to be the ideal kite for 2 - X knots wind kitesurfing
      >(nothing is water relaucnheable at this windspeed, just try to keep the
      >kite in the air, a skill one have to learn in very light wind
      >kitesurfing). Has anybody had any experience with this kite?
      >
      >P.S. I still has not received any comments about how low a wind you can
      >fly a C-Quad.
      >
      >Hung.

      >eGroups Spotlight:
      >"For retired military and dependents" - Talk about customs,
      >traditions, services information for retirees and retirement living.
      >http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/329
      >

      >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf

    • Nick Boucart
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 1999
        > P.S. I still has not received any comments about how low a wind you can
        > fly a C-Quad.
        >
        > Hung.

        Well, a cquad will almost allways fly, I even tried a 3.2 cquad indoors
        (just for the fun of it) and it is remarkable how easy it flies, already
        giving some pull on the lines. I tried a 6.3 in almost no wind, probably
        some 2 or 3 mph, and I already slided over the beach, very slowly but
        still..... Note that I weigh 90 kg, so anyone lighter would have real fun
        with it..... The same day, I got the chance to fly a 8.4 cquad prototype,
        that gave even more power, slow, massive power, so I think that will be one
        of the ultimate low wind kites. Don't know about foils, although I've seen
        people buggy in the same winds with a big 9 square meter Jojo.

        Nick.

      • Ronald Kittag
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 1999
          Hi Nick!

          > I tried a 6.3 in almost no wind, probably
          > some 2 or 3 mph, and I already slided over the beach, very slowly but
          > still.....

          How did you set up the briddle? I also tried to fly a C-quad 6.3 in similar
          conditions but had the problem that the kite tends to stall and falls down to
          the ground like a rock.

          Ronald

        • Ronald Kittag
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 1999
            > Hi Nick!
            >
            > How did you set up the briddle? I also tried to fly a C-quad 6.3 in similar
            > conditions but had the problem that the kite tends to stall and falls down to
            > the ground like a rock.
            >
            > Ronald

            But I have forgot to say that if the wind is sligtly stronger these problems are gone and it flies perfektly.

          • Nick Boucart
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 1999
              Ronald Kittag wrote:

              > Hi Nick!
              >
              > How did you set up the briddle? I also tried to fly a C-quad 6.3 in similar
              > conditions but had the problem that the kite tends to stall and falls down to
              > the ground like a rock.
              >
              > Ronald

              I just got the kite out of the bag, attached my flying lines onto the bridle and
              of we went. It is however very important to fly the cquad like a real four line
              kite, like e.g. a revolution, that means you have to keep your hand together at
              any time, steering the kite with the brake lines only. If you try to steer the
              kite like a regular dual line kite, the cquad becomes unstable and even crashed,
              probably the thing you experienced. Also very important is the relative length
              of the brake line, adjust it so that when the cquad is above you, hands in
              neutral position, there's almost no tension on the brakes, so that when you
              apply the brakes, it should have immedeate effect on the kite.

              Hope this helps.

              Nick.

            • Raul F. Argilagos
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 1999
                Hi all!

                We also tried to fly a 6.3 C Quad in 10mph and it does not fly period!
                It would jump in the air then plummet like a rock. Any attempt to alter
                the bridle to make it fly made it fly even less! My opinion is that this
                kite doesn't work for kitesurfing. Even experienced equipment testers
                like Ken Winner and Alf Imperato came to the same conclusions on
                kite that I did.

                Raul

                Hi Nick!

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 1999
                  Hi Raul!

                  I disagree with you:

                  > We also tried to fly a 6.3 C Quad in 10mph and it does not fly period!
                  > It would jump in the air then plummet like a rock. Any attempt to alter
                  > the bridle to make it fly made it fly even less! My opinion is that this
                  > kite doesn't work for kitesurfing.

                  When I said I had problems with the kite it was in verry lite winds. It just
                  needs more than 10 knots -at least for my weight (83kg) and skill-level
                  (beginner)- than it flies perfecly creating an enormous, steady pull. I had my
                  best rides on a C-Quad because I didn´t have to work the kite. I could park it in
                  the 2 o´clock position and concentrate on my board.
                  C-Quads do work for kitesurfing!

                  Ronald

                  Ronald

                • O1withwind@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 1, 1999
                    In a message dated 6/1/99 1:48:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time, hungvu@...
                    writes:

                    > I looked at the Quadrifoil home page and found this Quadrifoil xxxl 9.66
                    > m2 (8.52 m2 projected) kite at
                    > http://206.222.80.69/Competition/compxxxl.htm. According to the spec,
                    > the quadrifoil can fly starting from 2 mph (which is less than 2
                    > knots). It seems to be the ideal kite for 2 - X knots wind kitesurfing
                    > (nothing is water relaucnheable at this windspeed, just try to keep the
                    > kite in the air, a skill one have to learn in very light wind
                    > kitesurfing). Has anybody had any experience with this kite?
                    >
                    > P.S. I still has not received any comments about how low a wind you can
                    > fly a C-Quad.
                    >
                    > Hung.

                    Hung,
                    I Flew the new XXXL kite in Junuary at the treasure Island kite
                    competitions. Jeff Howard and I used it for a kitesurfing exibition. In
                    6kts we were able to get up and surf but no upwind action. In 8kts upwind
                    becomes posible as well as jumping. We were using 40m lines and the
                    quadrifoil kitesurf board.
                    PEACE&WIND
                    Josh Young <o1withwind@...>

                  • Michel Montmigny
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 1, 1999
                      O1withwind@... wrote:

                      > In a message dated 6/1/99 1:48:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time, hungvu@...
                      > writes:
                      >
                      > > I looked at the Quadrifoil home page and found this Quadrifoil xxxl 9.66
                      > > m2 (8.52 m2 projected) kite at
                      > > http://206.222.80.69/Competition/compxxxl.htm. According to the spec,
                      > > the quadrifoil can fly starting from 2 mph (which is less than 2
                      > > knots). It seems to be the ideal kite for 2 - X knots wind kitesurfing
                      > > (nothing is water relaucnheable at this windspeed, just try to keep the
                      > > kite in the air, a skill one have to learn in very light wind
                      > > kitesurfing). Has anybody had any experience with this kite?
                      > >
                      > > P.S. I still has not received any comments about how low a wind you can
                      > > fly a C-Quad.
                      > >
                      > > Hung.
                      >
                      > Hung,
                      > I Flew the new XXXL kite in Junuary at the treasure Island kite
                      > competitions. Jeff Howard and I used it for a kitesurfing exibition. In
                      > 6kts we were able to get up and surf but no upwind action. In 8kts upwind
                      > becomes posible as well as jumping. We were using 40m lines and the
                      > quadrifoil kitesurf board.
                      > PEACE&WIND
                      > Josh Young <o1withwind@...>

                      > [click here]
                      > Click Here!
                      >
                      > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf

                      Hello,

                      I should tell that at the 1999 Ice & Snow Sailing World Championship,
                      everybody seen the Concept Air real power and control of the excellent
                      EX'S 9.0 sq/m mesured on floor against any other brand that was present.

                      My weight is 160# and I do kitesurf at 4.5 knots without going upwind.
                      At 5 knots, I do upwind. at 6 Yeah, the lines are singing and the board
                      is making a very nice sound.

                      Michel

                    • paul_sexstone@westpac.com.au
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 1, 1999
                        i think your 6.3 has a problem, mine also flies in wind that you can barely feel
                        on your face, and can fly 360 in no wind. it has no problem stalling/luffing and
                        is good upto about 10kts (if you dare!)

                        "Raul F. Argilagos" <raul@...> on 02/06/99 01:44:13

                        Please respond to kitesurf@egroups.com

                        To: "'kitesurf@egroups.com'" <kitesurf@egroups.com>
                        cc: (bcc: Paul Sexstone/FO/WLG/IIBG)
                        Subject: [ksurf] Re: Very light wind kite

                        Hi all!

                        We also tried to fly a 6.3 C Quad in 10mph and it does not fly period!
                        It would jump in the air then plummet like a rock. Any attempt to alter
                        the bridle to make it fly made it fly even less! My opinion is that this
                        kite doesn't work for kitesurfing. Even experienced equipment testers
                        like Ken Winner and Alf Imperato came to the same conclusions on
                        kite that I did.

                        Raul

                        Hi Nick!

                        > I tried a 6.3 in almost no wind, probably
                        > some 2 or 3 mph, and I already slided over the beach, very slowly but
                        > still.....

                        How did you set up the briddle? I also tried to fly a C-quad 6.3 in similar
                        conditions but had the problem that the kite tends to stall and falls down to
                        the ground like a rock.

                        Ronald

                        eGroups Spotlight:
                        "VetQuest-Your Free Weekly EZine" - Get the latest news and information
                        about being a veteran or a family member of one.
                        http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/128