Speeding up the big ARC's

  • M. Hlady
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2001
      I am interested in these PLK ARC's.

      Anyone with the 840 and /or 1120 Arc's try utilizing Response Enhancing Rings (Brake Rings) to improve their turning ability? Seems, this could be a simple way of speeding up these big kites, particularly in light winds (if it works??).

      They are short attachment lines with loops at each end. One end is larksheaded to a ring (stainless or ceramic) the other end is prussik'ed to the powerline leader's on the bridle (you could probably tie them directly to the powerlines on the Arc's using a prussik knot about 6 feet below the spar since these kites do not have bridles). Pull the brake line through the ring.

      Their purpose is to provide a mechanical advantage that increases braking action with less pilot input.

      More background...
      The Quadrifoil Competition XL (4.9m2 flat, 4.3m2 projected) and XXL (7.1 flat, 6.2 proj) has them.
      Without the rings, the kite is supposed to be more stable in gusty winds and does not respond as quickly to pilot input. I did not like to fly these kites this way even though it did as promised. In lulls and lighter winds the kites would back down on their own even with very slack brake lines. The kites become totally different with the rings installed.

      The attachment lines for the XL are about 8" long with 1/2" dia. ceramic rings. The XXL was bought used and did not come with them. So I made some, 12" long with 1/2" dia. stainless rings.

      Any thought's??

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2001
        A picture here would be worth a look at on what you are describing.
        Personally I want a simpler type of setup with less stuff. I am in
        the process of making a 36-inch bar that has extensions on the ends
        of the bar to attach the brake lines to. It will be a bar that will
        look like a Longhorn bar, only the extensions at the ends of the bar
        will be 4-6 inches long. The extensions will angle out approximately
        35 degrees from vertical. What this will achieve is a greater throw
        of the brake lines when the bar is pivoted with less pilot input.
        It's just a simple way of attaining more leverage. There is a guy, I
        don't recall his name, but he uses a bar very similar to what I'm
        taking about. He uses mountain bike bar ends at the end of his bar
        facing out instead of in to attach his flying lines to. I am not
        suggesting to use mountain bar ends, as they were not designed for
        the kind of loads that certain kites would put on them, but the idea
        works the same.

        Mark

      • jmullmd@home.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2001
          Hey M. Hlady,

          I've thought about the same deal with the rings and was just talking
          about it with Traig a couple days ago. I used it with my big Mosquito
          in the past but quit because it gave me auto braking in gusts when I
          didn't want it. But the responsiveness to pulling on a brake line was
          nice.

          On an Arc I think the rings would be best located about one spar's
          length down the front lines to optimize your angle of pull if you felt
          like trying it out.

          On the other hand, I think that the current turning of my 1120 and 840
          is great with a 36-38 inch bar. Also, one thing I like is how easy it
          is to hold onto the bar when I'm in the depower loop...adding rings
          would require stronger pulling on the bar to sheet in. Sheeting in on
          an Arc is a lot more pressure than applying brake to a foil.

          If you try it out let me know what you find. Personally I think my
          Arcs turn so well and are so easy to use I don't think this change
          will make them better.

          Have FUN,

          John

          ****

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 28, 2001
            hi

            I tried a number of mods last year including the idea that you have
            but on handles with poor results .I would be interested to try it on
            a bar though.I also tried a system crossing the brake lines to the
            opposite top lines then back which had good results but the kite was
            squeezed inward as a result .Have a go at these ideas it would be
            interesting to see the results from others.By the way its not a bad
            idea to try in lighter winds in case it makes the kite do something
            totally freaky.

            All the Best

            Lach

            ****

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2001
              I don't actually have an 840 or 1120 ARC. The Response Enhancing
              Rings idea was just a suggestion that I thought might be worth a try
              for those looking for a simple way to speed up these big kites. It's
              a simple mod that is easy to tweek too. Again I don't know if it will
              work with ARC's (it looks like it could).

              I uploaded a document with the drawings for the Response Enhancing
              Rings I described:

            • matt.diff.co.uk@breathemail.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 11, 2001
                I have an 840 ARC and to be fair it does not need to be speeded up.Id
                say its as fast as a 4.9 meter blade and thats quick.