Winter Kiting

  • dolez_extreme@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 27, 2001
      Looks like everyone has an opinion on something in this group!
      Well I am lookign for some opinions on a good kite to buy for cold
      weather. Up here in my part of Canada during the winter I expect to
      be out kiting at -20 on frozen lakes with my snowboard. Any advice
      on a kite that can handle that temperature - but the kicker is I
      would like somethign that is water launchable for our summers when
      our lakes actually thaw.
      Dave
    • Christopher Porter
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 27, 2001
        i'm using a JOJO 2.5m foil out here.. its pretty friendly, and handles
        gusts really well. i've also got a 3.3m flexifoil blade.. and to compare
        the two, the jojo seems to almost pull harder in ~15mph winds.. also the
        cost is pretty good.. i got mine at a trade show for about half price.
        retail is about 225 for the 2.5.

        i guess the big problem with the jojo is that its not water relaunchable.
        you are gonna have a hard time finding a bladder system that will work in
        cold temps.. i tried using my wipika 3.5 once..i about froze my hand off
        trying to get the nipples to close.. yer best bet is gonna be a foil.. if
        you need water relauching ability for the summer, get a PLK Waterfoil or
        a JOJO water relauchable foil. i've had pretty good exp with those.

        -chris

      • cglazier@home.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 27, 2001
          You should also check out Concept Air, a Canadian manufacturer. Talk
          to Michael there who is an experienced kiteskier and who used to be a
          regular contributor to this group. The New Wave model might suit you.

          http://www.conceptair.com/

          And join the Canadian kitesurf egroup 'cankitesurf' for more
          discussion on kiteskiing.

          Chris Glazier,
          Vancouver

          --- In kitesurf@y..., dolez_extreme@h... wrote:
          > Looks like everyone has an opinion on something in this group!
          > Well I am lookign for some opinions on a good kite to buy for cold
          > weather. Up here in my part of Canada during the winter I expect
          > be out kiting at -20 on frozen lakes with my snowboard. Any advice
          > on a kite that can handle that temperature - but the kicker is I
          > would like somethign that is water launchable for our summers when
          > our lakes actually thaw.
          > Dave
          --- In kitesurf@y..., dolez_extreme@h... wrote:
          > Looks like everyone has an opinion on something in this group!
          > Well I am lookign for some opinions on a good kite to buy for cold
          > weather. Up here in my part of Canada during the winter I expect
          > be out kiting at -20 on frozen lakes with my snowboard. Any advice
          > on a kite that can handle that temperature - but the kicker is I
          > would like somethign that is water launchable for our summers when
          > our lakes actually thaw.
          > Dave
        • CC - Steve
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 27, 2001
            I like a C Quad or a foil. I wouldn't use a water relaunchable. I want an
            easily killable kite on snow. That's my opinion. Also snow/land kites can
            be much smaller than water kites - less drag.

            Steve
            Carson City, Nevada USA

            > Looks like everyone has an opinion on something in this group!
            > Well I am lookign for some opinions on a good kite to buy for cold
            > weather. Up here in my part of Canada during the winter I expect to
            > be out kiting at -20 on frozen lakes with my snowboard. Any advice
            > on a kite that can handle that temperature - but the kicker is I
            > would like somethign that is water launchable for our summers when
            > our lakes actually thaw.
            > Dave

            Shop online without a credit card
            http://www.rocketcash.com
            RocketCash, a NetZero subsidiary
          • thorpes@arklogic.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 27, 2001
              I've used my Seasmik Alpha 7.2 in snow (but not -20!)
              It has inflatable tubes but no inner bladders ( the
              material is a bit like a lighter version of rubber
              dingy material. ) And the valves are the biggest and
              best non-return valves I've seen. You can even fly with
              the plugs out if your hands are too clumsy with your
              gloves on.

              It also has the advantage of total de-powering, instantly,
              even in the middle of the power zone--very nice to have
              on land! And as an added bonus it launches and lands downwind
              quite well.

              And of course when the ice melts its great in the water.
              ( The new ones have inner bladders so if you're interested
              you might want look at the 2000 models. )

              Steve T.

              --- In kitesurf@y..., dolez_extreme@h... wrote:
              > Looks like everyone has an opinion on something in this group!
              > Well I am lookign for some opinions on a good kite to buy for cold
              > weather. Up here in my part of Canada during the winter I expect
              > be out kiting at -20 on frozen lakes with my snowboard. Any advice
              > on a kite that can handle that temperature - but the kicker is I
              > would like somethign that is water launchable for our summers when
              > our lakes actually thaw.
              > Dave
            • Jef Van de Mosselaer
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 28, 2001
                Hi Dave,

                If you want to do all this with one kite, I would check out foils with
                inflatable bags. I am thinking of a Mosquito Pro KS or Gun kite. In the
                winter you can remove the condoms/valves and the inflatable bags. In the
                summer you have a relaunchable kite. You can fly them any way you want :
                bar, handles, two-, three- or four lines. The three line setup also gives
                you sheetability/depower. I do not know the Concept Air product range that
                well, maybe they have a similar kite too.

                Jef

              • Dreadlord 2
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 28, 2001
                  Hi folk,

                  does anyone have tested the wipika school in cabarete?

                  I'm beginer on kitesurf although I've already follow a kitesurf course and
                  have 1 set of gear (an AR5, 9.5 and a custom board) with whom I learn.. I
                  would love to have some holidays in a sunny place, with warm water and WIND
                  because it is freezing to death overhere in France.. I believe Cabarete
                  could be the place to go..

                  if someone have some info and advise, that would be most valuable for me,

                  thanx

                  Steffen
                • cjgilmore@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 28, 2001
                    --- In kitesurf@y..., dolez_extreme@h... wrote:
                    > Looks like everyone has an opinion on something in this group!
                    > Well I am lookign for some opinions on a good kite to buy for cold
                    > weather. Up here in my part of Canada during the winter I expect
                    > be out kiting at -20 on frozen lakes with my snowboard. Any advice
                    > on a kite that can handle that temperature - but the kicker is I
                    > would like somethign that is water launchable for our summers when
                    > our lakes actually thaw.
                    > Dave

                    I have tried a Concept Air Sport Wave 4.4 and a Arch 840(6m proj) and
                    both worked fine for the snow. The Concept Air was faster more harsh
                    power. Both were easy to fly, the Arch was alot smoother, you could
                    make the Sport wave fold on the turns. I bought the Arch because of
                    the no bladders and it is simular to the Naish and Wipika design.
                    The slider may be very good also. You need more wind to use a snow
                    board than skiis. Skiis are very simple to use. I can't recomend
                    anything other than to get something and get out there and do it.

                    Chris
                  • mbartell@forwardtech.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 28, 2001
                      Why would you even consider taking a "water Kite" out in the snow????
                      Especially if you are just learning.

                      Water re-launchable kites are expensive and relativly fragile. Plus
                      they are more hassle to deal with than "land kites", by at least some
                      degree.

                      The solution:

                      Buy any of the widley available, reasonably priced, high
                      performance "land kites" for the snow.....ie, C-Quad, foils.....

                      They last a long time and work great on the snow.

                      Whatever kite you get for the water will last a lot longer if you use
                      it only on the water where it belongs.

                      My opinion for what it is worth.

                      Matt
                    • an492@ncf.ca
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
                        Hi,

                        I recently started kiteskiing and have negotiated a group discount
                        with the manufacturer for their latest model, The Flex 2001. If I can
                        get at least other people to purchase then the price will be $299 US /
                        $450 CDN (+taxes/shipping) complete. And by complete it comes with
                        - 9.1 meter kite (7.0 projected; zipper is supposed to drop the size
                        by 1 meter for higher winds)
                        - lines
                        - bar (with simple method of going from short to long lines very
                        quickly)
                        - harness with emergency release

                        The designer is currently working with the 2001 model and has been
                        having pretty good success with water launching. Don't know if I will
                        try it in the summer or not.

                        Anyways, email me for more details if you are interested in the group
                        purchase.

                        Steve.

                        http://www.sportdirect.qc.ca/paraski/engl_version/

                        From their website:
                        "It can fly even with no wind, while walking at a normal
                        pace, so efficient it is. On water it takes off all wet with a 10
                        km/hr wind and you can even go up the wind while
                        "swimming" if you use the paraski mode.

                        It has a zipper to reduce the depth and an adjustment to
                        loosen the back in strong wind. That innovation, combined
                        to our unique system that permits a close and far use,
                        gives the Flex 2001 a wind span from 5 to 50+ km/hr.

                        The Flex 2001 is all very high quality materials : the sail is
                        made of TORRAY double ripstop nylon and AVIA carbon
                        fiber rod. The spectra bridles are INNOVATIVE TEXTILE
                        and the main lines are spectra (700 lb) from CEDAR
                        LINES."