Re: ARC 840?

  • Kinsley@XtremeBigAir.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 25, 2001
      Roy,
      For you wind condition of 10-15kts and your bodyweight, you need the
      ARC 1140 or better yet the new F-One SLIDER 9M!!!
      Go Xtreme,
      Kinsley Wong
      http://XtremeBigAir.com

    • bnow@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 25, 2001
        Hi Roy

        First off I would say IMO (In My Opinion), you could not make a
        better choice than the ARC for starting out. You will understand
        this more as you use the ARC and also have the opportunity to try
        other kites as well. I would suggest the 1120 for the wind range you
        mentioned if you use some good sense (*****) in your approach to
        learning. You would probably feel more comfortable with the 840 in
        starting out, but you will want the power of the 1120 after you gain
        a bit more experience. So if you can only purchase the one kite, I
        would suggest the 1120, if you can afford it get both. I weigh the
        same as you do, and I can take my 1120 out in the wind range you
        mentioned just fine, although I would probably pull out my 840 if it
        were blowing 14-20kts. If it is more likely to blow under 14kts in
        your area, then go for the 1120. Above that will be a bit strong for
        an 1120 and just starting out. (****) Here is what I mean by using
        good sense in starting out with such a big kite. You will be very
        excited and stoked to sail your kite as much as you can, especially
        in the beginning. You won't want to be patient for the right wind
        conditions, because you have waited and waited to fly your kite, and
        if conditions are marginal you may tend to go for it rather than wait
        more. Don't let your impatience warp your brain and over-ride the
        voice of good sense in how much wind you can handle! If in doubt
        don't do it! These kites are way powerful and can lift you up or
        drag you in an instant. It is way better to be safe so you can sail
        another day, than to not be able to sail at all because you're hurt.
        There are some dues to pay in this sport, and you can pay them by
        waiting, and learning safely, or you can be impatient and get hurt.
        Setup up a good leash system on your ARC, check the "Tin Man" file
        folder here under ARCLeash.jpg. Wear a helmet and floatation device.
        If you are going to use a standard 4-line bar setup, then get a 36-
        inch bar for the 1120 or 840. Choose a beach or area that is wide
        open, and has lots of downwind room, as you will be going that way in
        the beginning. I know there will be plenty of people who will
        disagree with what I am going to say next, but I am simply telling
        you how I did it, and I figure you can decide for yourself what is
        the best approach for you. I flew my kites on land first before I
        ever got into the water. It is important to have good kite skills
        before you venture out, and that you are familiar with how your
        particular kite fly's. The best way to do that is to buy a trainer
        kite, but I did it very carefully using my traction kites. I chose a
        wide-open flat sandy beach area (actually it was a huge dune area
        with miles of wide-open flat sand) where there was no one around, and
        I flew only in the lower wind range of my kites, and NEVER HOOKED IN!
        I would say the moderate (having fun) wind ranges on the 1120 and 840
        ARCs are:

        1120 = 9.5-14kts
        840 = 12-17kts

        As far as boards are concerned, I would definitely go with a board
        that has a sharp rail edge to it for the higher wind ranges. In the
        lower range (12kts and below) you could use a converted surfboard
        with toe straps. Keep in mind if you're going to be going out in
        surf conditions from the beach, a buoyant board is easier to deal
        with in the beginning. Wakeboards tend to sink if you let go of them
        in the crashing surf, rather than float on the surface, which can
        make it more difficult in the beginning to get past the surf with
        your kite and board. With a more buoyant type of board, if you have
        to let go of the board with the leash attached to you, and steer the
        kite out past the surf with the board trailing you. Have fun.

        Mark
      • matt.diff.co.uk@breathemail.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 25, 2001
          Hi roy
          An 840 ARC is a great kite to learn on.Its a very forgiving kite with
          a lot of power.To start with you will need a budy to help launch and
          land the kite.On the board front id go for a twin tip or even a
          custom wake board with a fair bit of volume.You can find both on
          www.nativecustom.co.uk.

          safe riding
          matt

          --- In kitesurf@y..., "Roy Payne" <roy.payne=kite@b...> wrote:
          > Help starting out - What to buy? - ARC?
          >
          > Directional board (still deciding brand/size), 10-15kts average -
          some days
          > more. Would a ARC 840 be a good choice or the 1120? The cost of
          imported
          > inflatables put me off these even though they may be better for
          learning on.

          > If the 1120 is preferred for this wind will it be possible to learn
          on?

          > I cannot find much information on 'real' wind/weight performance
          for these
          > kites - can anyone provide some feedback here?
          >
          > I was considering converting one of my old wave boards to learn on
          > initially - I realise it would be too big & heavy to jump - has
          anyone else
          > used old boards? (8'6 pintail - no I don't have a surfboard to
          convert). I
          > thought this may enable me to get the basics on the wave board and
          then
          > purchase a more advanced & smaller directional or twin tip.
          >
          > Years of windsurf & some stunt kite experience.
          > NB I weigh ~ 75kg.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Roy

        • Colin Gowland
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 25, 2001
            Here is what I mean by using
            > good sense in starting out with such a big kite. You will be very
            > excited and stoked to sail your kite as much as you can, especially
            > in the beginning. You won't want to be patient for the right wind
            > conditions, because you have waited and waited to fly your kite, and
            > if conditions are marginal you may tend to go for it rather than wait
            > more. Don't let your impatience warp your brain and over-ride the
            > voice of good sense in how much wind you can handle! If in doubt
            > don't do it! These kites are way powerful and can lift you up or
            > drag you in an instant. It is way better to be safe so you can sail
            > another day, than to not be able to sail at all because you're hurt

            No, this is not the way to go. You have to just keep throwing money at
            kiteboarding until you have enough stuff to cover the wind range properly.
            Sell your exercise bike, beta-cam, 17" computer monitor, lexus or cancel the
            third course at your wedding etc. Buy a smaller Arc or small Wipika as well,
            you're worth it! :)

            Colin
          • Roy Payne

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 28, 2001
                Thanks Kinsley

                10-15 knots = about 11.5 to 17 MPH

                From the list on your web site I would think the 8.4 would be the go?
                Have you used a 840 in 10-15kts?

                COPY---
                ARC 11.2 KITE ONLY
                ARC Wind Range based on 75KG/165 lbs persons:
                ARC 4.6=15-31 mph/25-50 kph
                ARC 6.3=12-25 mph/20-40 kph
                ARC 8.4=09-19 mph/15-30 kph
                ARC11.2=06-12 mph/10-20 kph
                COPY---

                The cost of a slider to Oz would be too high for me.
                Thanks heaps
                Roy.

              • Stefano
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                  > COPY---
                  > ARC 11.2 KITE ONLY
                  > ARC Wind Range based on 75KG/165 lbs persons:
                  > ARC 4.6=15-31 mph/25-50 kph
                  > ARC 6.3=12-25 mph/20-40 kph
                  > ARC 8.4=09-19 mph/15-30 kph
                  > ARC11.2=06-12 mph/10-20 kph
                  > COPY---

                  the ARC 1120 needs more than 6mph to kitesurf with !! i would say at LEAST 8
                  knots which is 9mph... (i weigh 78 kg = 172 lbs) the 840 would need at LEAST
                  12 knots which is about 14mph...
                • Stefano
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                    > I would say the moderate (having fun) wind ranges on the 1120 and 840
                    > ARCs are:
                    >
                    > 1120 = 9.5-14kts
                    > 840 = 12-17kts

                    YEP !!! THIS I AGREE WITH !
                  • R!
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                      --- In kitesurf@y..., "Stefano" <stefano.rosso@i...> wrote:
                      > > I would say the moderate (having fun) wind ranges on the 1120 and 840
                      > > ARCs are:
                      > >
                      > > 1120 = 9.5-14kts
                      > > 840 = 12-17kts

                      Has anybody flown both the Arc1120 and Naish 15.5 AR5? It looks like
                      price for a new arc are similar to a slightly used 15.5. So I'm curious
                      how they compare for power and range. I'm mostly interested in low end
                      since I have an 11.5 and would have overlap with either kite at the
                      upper end. Which kite will let me jump higher and longer in 10-12
                      knots? What's the minimum for either one to go upwind (even if that's
                      outside the "having fun" range)? [I can ride my board with the 11.5
                      from about 12 to 23 knots with the "having fun" range about 14-21 at
                      85kg]

                      R!
                    • lee@anabatic.co.nz
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                        My ARC1120 operates in the same wind range as your 11naish.
                        No surprise there really.

                        The kite sizes to wind range are based on a Kite surfer weight of
                        75kg. I weigh 85 kg and so use a kite one size larger than the
                        recommended for each wind range.
                        (Kite) (size) = (size projected) (Wind range)
                        ARC 1120 = 8.0 (Arc 9-18 knots)
                        ARC 840 = 6.0 (Arc 12-23 knots)
                        ARC 630 = 4.5 (Arc 16-27 knots)
                        ARC 460 = 3.3 (Arc 20-35 knots)

                        It is almost possible to skip a size of kite to cover the full wind
                        range with the least amount of kites. This depends however on you
                        local conditions being reasonably predictable and not likely to leave
                        you stranded with a small kite in light winds.

                        These and other details are available from my Kite surf business web
                        site at http://www.anabatic.co.nz (New Zealand)
                      • Mel
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 2, 2001
                          The ARC with 4.5 projected ("630" size) definitely takes more wind to
                          "park", compared to the AR5 with 4.4 projected ("7.5" size). The added
                          maneuverability, combined with the low-effort steering, make it much easier
                          to "work" the ARC, so its low end planing limit is similar, but it's low-end
                          jumping is not.

                          I'm currently regretting my purchase of the 4.5 projected ARC (to replace my
                          AR5 with 4.4). I should have got the 6.0 (& may still).

                          Mel

                        • kitesurfer@bigpond.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 5, 2001
                            Hello Roy

                            I guess it all comes down to what you think you like the best,
                            everyone can say this and that, but its what you like the look of
                            really. I learnt with a cquad(a lot of swimming and towing because i
                            could not afford a Naish or Wipika, thats the only inflatables when i
                            learnt really). I have just started a business in Warrnambool
                            Australia, Windy Waves, and i am dealing from home, hence no
                            overheads. I think my prices are very very good, so let us know what
                            you are after and i shall give you a price, but i think the Arcs are
                            great value for money, i have just oredered the 460 and 840 myslf.
                            I also have 2 Prodesigns, 4 and 7m Foils. A 2.2, 4.2, 6.3, 8.5 and
                            are thinking of an 12.5 Cquad, i like these kites obviously, i also
                            have 2 Cabrinhas on their way, April 1st hopefully. Anyway reply to
                            me and i shall see what price i can give you, unbeatable i think.
                            Darren Pearce
                            Windy Waves

                          • kitesurfer@bigpond.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 5, 2001

                            • lee@anabatic.co.nz
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 5, 2001
                                Go for the ARC1120, its very high performance but also a great kite
                                to learn with as it is easy to fly. As your skill increase you can
                                push it in stronger conditions.
                                Your weight at 10-15 knots is perfect.

                                regards
                                lee
                                http://www.anabatic.co.nz

                                lee@...
                              • AniBo@wanadoo.dk
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 5, 2001
                                  Hallo Darren

                                  I understand that you have started your own business. I would like to know if you deliver the Arc in Europe?
                                  We are a few kitesurfers planning on investing in some PL kites and goes for the best offer we can find.

                                  Pleas mail me if you are interested in giving an offer.

                                  Regards Bo, Denmark