RE: [ksurf] Kite tech

  • Andre Myburgh
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2001

      > why? it's more strong that a tube and it's create very less drag

      As I've mentioned, the tube forms part of the LE wing profile of the kite
      and as such does not add significantly to the drag - where the tube creates
      unwanted drag is on the bottom of the kite (where there is no smooth
      transition from the tube to the kite (I beleive Kitesurfer tries to overcome
      this with a smaller tube behind the big one), but your spar will have the
      same problem, in fact it will be worse as their is a sharper break in the LE
      profile (at the bottom). The strength of the spar might also be a
      disadvantage - it can break if crashed. Wheight ? maybe the same ?

      > > I would either go the whole hog and try and copy an
      > existing kite, or don't
      > > bother. (Unless you have the time and money to make lots of
      > prototypes).
      > >

      > make some little prototypes it's no so expensive I suppose.....

      Be carefull here! Remember to use dimentional analysis - you can't simply
      devide everything by 5 - I fell into the same trap with building a small
      foil from a standard plan, it was nice and cheap and small and it flew like
      a brick - i.e. not at all.

      > > Your 3d shape looks good though..

      I agree