7m AR 3.5 4-line

  • Gary Theron
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2001
      I converted my AR3.5 to a 4-line setup last weekend. I took it out yesterday for the first time, but there wasn't really enough wind. (12-15knots). I don't know how much slack I should have on the lines though.

      Currently, when the chicken loop is not being used, ie. when I have the original loop on the harnass, the leading-edge (LE) lines appear to have way too much slack. The kite pulls heavily on the trailing edge (TE) lines. However, when I hook in the chicken loop, and let the back lines out, they look like they've got too much slack. There wasn't enough wind to really test the issue, but it appeared that the bar would have to be pulled close in to me all the time due to the slack on the trailing edge lines.

      The AR5's on the beack don't appear to have very much slack between LE and TE lines at all.

      Is there a general rule of thumb with this?

      ~ Gary
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2001
        It takes some adjusting, to get it right.

        But as a thumb rule - neither the back, nor the front lines should be
        totally slack.
        If you fly totally on the back lines, you won't be able to go upwind,
        or turn the kite in light wind.
        If you fly on the front lines, you won't be able to turn/steer the
        kite any more, and it is more difficult to power the kite correctly,
        when surfing.

        You could tie a knot on both sides of the bar (requires some testing
        till its right), so your chicken loop only can move a short distance.

        Performance/trim in air:
        When not hooked in - you should fly more on the back lines, but still
        be able to go upwind.
        And when fully chicken hooked - you should juuuust still be able to
        turn/control the kite ok.

        Just thumb rules, for AR5's or Airblast's - but It'll go for the
        AR3.5's also, I am convinced...

        The best thing will be to look at the performance in the air, as
        stated above. It'll always be correct, regardless of kite type or
        back/front line slack or not.

        And do not test in too light wind - you must be powered properly,
        otherwise you can not turn/fly on the back lines either.

        Peter.