7m AR 3.5 vs 9.5 AR 5 kite size

  • tvn1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2001
      I am 165 lbs and still learning to go upwind. I have a 13.5m AR 5 inflatable
      and a 7m ar 3.5 inflatable and ride a 7' directional. I am considering
      buying a year 2000 9.5 ar 5 brand new at a good price, I am wondering if it
      will overlap the 7m ar 3.5 enough to replace it for the windier days around
      here ~15-20 knots? As it is now I have a fairly good sized gap in kite size.
      Or will the 7m start being good when the 9.5 is maxing out? I'd rather just
      own the 2 kites.
      Thanks
      Vince, in Seattle

    • Peter Frank
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
        Well - you have quite a gap, as you say.
        Are you flying the 7m 4line ?

        The AR3.5's are actually really good, in the small sizes - and I
        believe the 9.5 will overlap your 7 slightly, but certainly not fully.

        But if a windy day is around 15-20 knots, then you almost don't need
        anything smaller than the 9.5 at 165lbs.

        When flying 4line, and when you get better - you will go with the 9.5
        in more wind than now.

        I use a 9.5 in 16-24 knots, and I am 160lbs.
        But wind strength is such an odd thing to discuss
        (individual/different...)

        IMO you will be fine, with a 9.5 to complement your 13.5 !

        Peter.

        --- In kitesurf@y..., tvn1@a... wrote:
        > I am 165 lbs and still learning to go upwind. I have a 13.5m AR 5
        inflatable
        > and a 7m ar 3.5 inflatable and ride a 7' directional. I am
        considering
        > buying a year 2000 9.5 ar 5 brand new at a good price, I am
        wondering if it
        > will overlap the 7m ar 3.5 enough to replace it for the windier
        days around
        > here ~15-20 knots? As it is now I have a fairly good sized gap in
        kite size.
        > Or will the 7m start being good when the 9.5 is maxing out? I'd
        rather just
        > own the 2 kites.
        > Thanks
        > Vince, in Seattle

      • Ro
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
          I own a CA 7.2 and a Naish AR5 9.5 and 11.5.

          The Naishes are OK in not overlapping. But the 7.2 foil and the 9.5
          Naish do overlap almost totally. I fly the foil on 2 line mode only.

          Rod