Newbie

  • TeamSobaco@prtc.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2001
      Happy New year and Good Winds everybody.

      Ok I need advice they say my wind is typically 5-15 knots daily.
      I weigh 185lbs I have a mad sick deal on a Naish AR5 11.5 and a F
      one xs80 dirrectional. First of all is this the right kite for my
      winds and second rate this equipment for me is it the kind stuff and
      last do I really need lessons? I have always learned on my own
      Skiing Snowboarding wakeboarding skateboarding for over 15 years
    • Jef Van de Mosselaer
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2001
        You will see that the AR5 11.5 is a great kite. I don't have one myself,
        but have flown one a lot last summer. It gives enough power in the 10-15
        knots range, but if you've never flown a kite I would suggest some lessons,
        just to get to know the basics about flying a kite and the security aspects
        of it. After that, with your sporting background, you can certainly learn
        on your own.

      • Go Xtreme! XtremeBigAir.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2001
          Go to www.XtremeBigAir.com/KiteSurfing
          and Click on Ksurf FAQ

          You will find so much info to related to your questions.
          Go Xtreme,
          Kinsley Wong
          http://XtremeBigAir.com

        • sammy@mailops.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2001
            OK, I'll take a stab at this. I still consider myself a newbie but I
            have some limited experience from last summer.

            My first bit of advice: get a trainer kite. I got the B2 from
            slingshot ($119) and I have never regreted it. It's an excelent
            training tool and it's just plain fun to fly. The new Wipica 1m
            inflatable trainer (I think it's 1m) might be a good choice if you
            are going with sleds. Many dealers will discount the price of the
            trainer once you buy a full sized kite. (And make no mistake - you
            will need more than one kite - very soon.)

            I have an AR5 11.5 and it's a very good kite. I do like the
            inflatable as a beginner so that you have plenty of time for
            relaunching. An ARC might work as well (with it's anti-luffing
            qualities) but I haven't flown one (yet). My winds are about the
            same and I really want/need a bigger kite for lighter winds now. The
            11.5 really needs at least 11 or 12 knots (for me) to get going.

            I don't know much about the F-one board but I do wish I had waited
            for this years' Twin Tips. I come from a Skiing/snowboarding
            background myself and I think the new Twin Tips will be great. (Got
            my eye on a Lightwave 185.)

            Lessons? Well, I don't have much choice since there are no schools
            anywhere near me. So, I take it slow, read every magazine and
            internet site I can find and I have the two Ken Winner tapes (highly
            recomended for a sled user) committed to memory. I've never had a
            skiing or snowboarding lesson myself (other than a few hints from
            friends) and I've done just fine there.

            Hope this helps.

            Sammy

            --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, TeamSobaco@p... wrote:
            > Happy New year and Good Winds everybody.
            >
            > Ok I need advice they say my wind is typically 5-15 knots daily.
            > I weigh 185lbs I have a mad sick deal on a Naish AR5 11.5 and a F
            > one xs80 dirrectional. First of all is this the right kite for my
            > winds and second rate this equipment for me is it the kind stuff
            and
            > last do I really need lessons? I have always learned on my own
            > Skiing Snowboarding wakeboarding skateboarding for over 15 years
          • Ryan Littrell
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 15, 2001
              I am interested in getting into the sport of KiteSurfing. Currently, I like
              to do freestyle snowboarding and wakeboarding. I need some advice on what I
              should do to get into the sport. There is not alot of information on the
              web on KiteSurfing. Can I use my standard wakeboard to kite surf? I live
              in central california (Fresno) area and am looking for a one stop shop where
              I can demo some equip and go out on the water and try it before I buy any
              equipment. Also does anyone have any advice on the type of equipment I
              should get? My last question, what is the best time of the year to do it?

              Thanks in advance.

              Ryan
            • andatv@gte.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 15, 2001
                Hi Ryan,

                Start here:

                http://members.attcanada.ca/~hungvu/kitesurfing.htm.

                What to get? Look through past few weeks of posts. This question is
                frequently asked.

                Andre
              • bnow@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 16, 2001
                  Hi Ryan

                  Man I haven't been back to Fresno in many years. You can start
                  here at this site http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/. As far as
                  trying equipment before you buy it, your best bet is probably to take
                  some lessons and check out the sport and equipment that way. People
                  can be reluctant to hand an inexperienced person a $600 - $1500
                  kite, plus $800 board, plus harness, and then assume responsibility
                  for you if you hurt yourself, or someone else, just so you can try
                  out the equipment for a possible sale. You can check out places to
                  take lessons, and then ask them what equipment they use to see if it
                  is the brand your interested in. The Peter Lynn ARC kite is a great
                  kite to get. It is a very easy kite to use solo, it's compact, well
                  made, and it just doesn't luff. Try contacting Traig Trumbo at
                  www.monkeyair.com if you are interested in lessons and/or the ARC.
                  He is out of Malibu CA, and carries the ARC in stock. Feel free to e-
                  mail me privately if you have more questions. Take care.

                  Mark

                  I need some advice on what I
                  > should do to get into the sport. There is not alot of information
                  on the
                  > web on KiteSurfing. Can I use my standard wakeboard to kite surf?
                  I live
                  > in central california (Fresno) area and am looking for a one stop
                  shop where
                  > I can demo some equip and go out on the water and try it before I
                  buy any
                  > equipment. Also does anyone have any advice on the type of
                  equipment I
                  > should get? My last question, what is the best time of the year to
                  do it?

                  > Thanks in advance.
                  >
                  > Ryan
                • Fernando Guillot
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 19, 2005
                    Hello All,

                    I am new to this sport but I am so hooked with it that no longer want to do anything else. I have done the iniciation course and I think I am now ready to start buying the material. I am from Spain but I am travelling to Seattle in a couple of weeks time, so I was wondering if anyone new of a store there I could take a peap.

                    Thanks in advanced

                    Fer