Re: [ksurf] Re: How to make twintip? Todd et. al.

  • dean morgan
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2001
      duncan,
      you should not need to order a custom blank just look at the clark
      catelogue all the dimentions are there for all tyes of blanks. the
      rocker we used was probably around the 1.5" the board is 180/165x42 with
      a deep single concave and rails very sharp indeed. i think we used a 8.6
      mini mal blank duncan the mis section of that blank is very flat and we
      shaped some rocker into the tail area of the board.If you have shaped
      any type of board before you will find it relativly easy once the
      template has been drawn out.The shaper who does my boards shapes them in
      about 45min he makes it look so easy,if you are not apt with the
      equipment and confident on having a go take your time,if you like ill
      get some photos of the board and e-mail them to you together with the
      precise measurments.

      regards
      dean

      Duncan Wallace wrote:

      > Thanks Dean, how much rocker did you use on your board? I assume the
      > mid portion of the board is pretty flat. I have know idea how much
      > flip to use a the ends 1", 2"? If the board is relatively flat
      > where do you start the end rocker? I should be able to order a custom
      > rocker pattern from clark. Is the rocker pattern so radically
      > different that they won't make a blank that flat?

      > --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, dean morgan <pipeman@n...> wrote:
      > > duncan,
      > >
      > > I have just had shaped a stonker shark model board using clark
      > > foam,by a shaper who is a good friend of mine,and has been shapeing
      > > boards for the past 30 years. what you must realise is that none of
      > the
      > > clark blanks have suitable,or the same rocker that you need for a
      > twin
      > > tip,what you need to decide is how much rocker you want i have very
      > > little and you will need to shape part of the rocker,either in or
      > out as
      > > to suit, we used a mini mal blank.this enables you to adjust wher
      > your
      > > rocker should be,it gives you plenty of scope for shapeing as the
      > blanks
      > > in this size are generally thicker.
      > > hope this helps.one tip glass the board with triple 6oz on the
      > deck,and
      > > single 6oz on the bottom this will help you attain strengh on the
      > > deck,and sharper rails,the more glass you put on the bottom the
      > more you
      > > lose the sharpness in the rails,mine are like razors running the
      > whole
      > > length of the board.
      > >
      > > regards
      > > dean
      > > south wales, uk
      > >
      > > Duncan Wallace wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Any advice on building a twin tip using a clark foam blank would
      > be
      > > > appreciated. Which blank should i use for a Stonker/RRD style
      > twin
      > > > tip with different length rails? What is the correct rocker, rail
      > > > shape etc.
      > > >
      > > > I am 175 and will us it for my 9.0 Naish and 16 Wipi

      > > > <<< to unsubscribe send a message to kitesurf-
      > unsubscribe@egroups.com >>>

    • Duncan Wallace
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2001
        Dean, any measurements you have would be kick ass!! Did you measure
        the shark before shaping your board? Or is yours custom shaped with
        the different length edges as the only similarity?

        This will be my first board making project. I thought about making a
        sailboard many times. It seems that the Kiteboard would be little
        easier and cheaper project. Time will tell.

        Thanks a lot, you have been very helpful. BTW I didn't see reference
        to a mini mal blank in the Clark on line
        catalog.http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product_Catalog/Blanks/blanks.
        html

      • seastack@webpc.dellnet.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2001
          --Dean, hope you will file your images and measurements here!:)-

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2001
            Was it just a narrow channel where the fins attached or more like a
            double concave. What boards did you research before coming up with
            your design or did you let your shaper do his thang?! I thought this
            was going to be easier than making a sailboard, but with the amount
            of shaping involved, maybe not!! What the hell there is not even
            enough wind in Seattle right now for my 16 Wipi (bought two weeks ago
            and it's never been wet!), so might as well build something and get
            off the internet! Thanks Man.

            --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, Todd Snyder <boomjib@e...> wrote:
            > I have a 2'' flip at both ends.AND A 8''prgressive flat spot in
            the middle.
            > We used a regular surfboard blank. Che the shaper is a true artist
            for sure
            > he sculpted my twin tip out totally symetrical at boths shape and
            rocker
            > wise end plus with the channels running down each railabout an inch
            in.

            > When you add the channels on each side of the bottom of the board
            it flattens
            > out the rocker, BUT YOU STILL GET A GOOD FLIP AT EACH TIP.
            > I SEEN THE special order blanks way to flat nothing to work with .
            i think

          • john.a.penxa@boeing.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 1, 2001
              Duncan,

              Did you get out yesterday?

              jp
            • Duncan Wallace
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 1, 2001
                Dude, if you say I missed it i'll fu*&ng puke! I went to RB and it
                was light, 10 mins. later it was not even worth trying. Havn't been
                on the water in two weeks....jonsein!!!! Where dya go?

              • john.a.penxa@boeing.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 1, 2001
                  Maggie. Arrived at 10:30. Had to wait 30 minutes+ for another to
                  show to get a launch. Rode ~30 minutes on the 11.5 & 180 twintip.

                  jp

                  ps i gave you a called. you'll see at work tomorrow... Doh!

                  --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, "Duncan Wallace" <windman@p...> wrote:
                  > Dude, if you say I missed it i'll fu*&ng puke! I went to RB and it
                  > was light, 10 mins. later it was not even worth trying. Havn't
                  been
                  > on the water in two weeks....jonsein!!!! Where dya go?
                  >
                  > --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, john.a.penxa@b... wrote:
                  > > Duncan,
                  > >
                  > > Did you get out yesterday?
                  > >
                  > > jp
                • Todd Snyder
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 2, 2001
                    Were now running ours through a cumputer shaping machine I think the time is
                    about 10min.to shape outline rocker and thickness.Than another 10 to finish.

                  • Todd Snyder
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 2, 2001
                      I came up with my own thing man!!!!!! I took bits and pieces off the shapes
                      of boards i have ridden and took the chasrcteristics of each of these boards
                      that i liked and comdined them in to my twin tip.CHE my shaper put the dimond
                      tip on just for looks bettter than just leaving it square and it my benifit
                      in sinking the rail ,less volume at the end of the rail but still give you a
                      tail to bite and hold through the smacks off the lip or those lay down
                      craving turns. I guess.....

                      check out this site to see my board.
                      http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1421787&a=10640916

                      later,
                      todd

                    • dean morgan
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 2, 2001
                        duncan,

                        e-mail me your address and ill post you the template.

                        regards
                        dean

                        Duncan Wallace wrote:

                        > Dude, if you say I missed it i'll fu*&ng puke! I went to RB and it
                        > was light, 10 mins. later it was not even worth trying. Havn't been
                        > on the water in two weeks....jonsein!!!! Where dya go?
                        >
                        > --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, john.a.penxa@b... wrote:
                        > > Duncan,
                        > >
                        > > Did you get out yesterday?
                        > >
                        > > jp

                      • Todd Snyder
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 3, 2001
                          Hey Duncan,

                          When you start don't do whats been done do somthing you might think will work
                          . Most likely it will .If you've been on the water at any length you probably
                          no what you want . Design it the way you want it !!!!!

                          Later,
                          Todd

                          Oh psssst. you don't need hard square rails and flat as a board rocker to go
                          up wind or to hold and edge nor do you want round rails or a banana rocker
                          its a balance. In my opinion.