Re: [ksurf] kite sizes

  • KiteBoard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2001
      fishersfort@... writes:

      << http://www.egroups.com/files/kitesurf/kite+sizes.jpg
      If this chart is correct, I can use my knowledge of Naish kites to select
      the right Wipi's to buy to fill out my quiver. >>

      IF that chart IS correct, then the ARX (which do NOT all have an AR of 5*)
      suddenly has about 30% more projected area for its "size"!!? It's still
      confusing: Which ARX do I buy to get a similar wind range to my current
      "7.5"AR5? (which claims to have a projected area of 4.4)
      *The reason they renamed it "X" instead of "5" is that the AR is different
      for each size (they use a variable aspect ratio throughout the size range)
      with higher AR on larger sizes.

      Mel
    • Dwight & Jacky
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2001
        > << http://www.egroups.com/files/kitesurf/kite+sizes.jpg
        > If this chart is correct, I can use my knowledge of Naish kites to select
        > the right Wipi's to buy to fill out my quiver. >>
        >
        > IF that chart IS correct, then the ARX (which do NOT all have an AR of 5*)
        > suddenly has about 30% more projected area for its "size"!!? It's still
        > confusing:

        I believe the ARX and the old AR5 are the same size kites, physically. They
        just have a new method for measuring projected size. Knowing that, you can
        figure it out.

        Which ARX do I buy to get a similar wind range to my current
        > "7.5"AR5? (which claims to have a projected area of 4.4)
        > *The reason they renamed it "X" instead of "5" is that the AR is different
        > for each size (they use a variable aspect ratio throughout the size range)
        > with higher AR on larger sizes.
        >
        > Mel

        Do you know absolutely that the aspect ratios are being redesigned. If Naish
        presented the 2001 AR5 at the September show, then I find it hard to believe
        he had time to scrap his entire 2001 design and start over to create VARC
        ratios. It's much more likely that the AR5 was already a VARC to a small
        extent, and this name change is a marketing gimmick to join the band wagon.

        Dwight
      • KiteBoard@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2001
          fishersfort@... writes:

          << I believe the ARX and the old AR5 are the same size kites, physically. They
          just have a new method for measuring projected size. Knowing that, you can
          figure it out. >>

          In other words: IF they are the same physical size, the new 7.5 with 5.5
          projected should have about the same wind range as my old 7.5 with 4.4
          projected. I'd like to know why there'd be a different method of measuring
          projected area that yields a different result. To me it seems like having a
          different method of measuring line strength so now I need 700lb lines to
          replace my old 500lb.

          <<
          > *The reason they renamed it "X" instead of "5" is that the AR is different
          > for each size (they use a variable aspect ratio throughout the size range)
          > with higher AR on larger sizes.
          >
          > Mel

          Do you know absolutely that the aspect ratios are being redesigned. >>

          You'll notice I avoided saying they were redesigned. I THINK the rep told me
          the AR"5"s were already VARC, but I'm not positive. They may have increased
          the variation in AR on the 2001s.

          << It's much more likely that the AR5 was already a VARC to a small
          extent, and this name change is a marketing gimmick to join the band wagon.

          I guess that would mean Naish used that pre-existing concept before Wipika.
          Is changing a name in an attempt to be more accurate a "marketing gimmick"?
          That would make Wipika's new sizing method a marketing gimmick also, as well
          as Naish's (if the new 7.5 is really spec'd as 5.5 projected).

          Mel