Re: [ksurf] Re: Almost ripped my arms off!

  • KiteBoard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
      john@... writes:

      << maybe we were launching to far
      upwind. >>

      More likely too far DOWNwind. The closer to straight downwind (directly in
      front of you when your back is to the wind) the more power the kite will have.

      << Does the window angle decrease when there is stronger wind?
      ie: the edge of the window changes from 85 degrees to something like
      70 degrees.??? >>

      You've got it exactly reversed. The window angle generally INcreases with
      stronger wind, so in stronger wind you need to launch from further upwind,
      since that's where the edge of the window is now.

      Mel
    • m.diffey@breathemail.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
        --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, KiteBoard@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 1/1/01 5:35:11 AM Pacific Standard Time,
        > john@j... writes:
        >
        > << maybe we were launching to far
        > upwind. >>
        >
        > More likely too far DOWNwind. The closer to straight downwind
        (directly in
        > front of you when your back is to the wind) the more power the kite
        will have.

        > << Does the window angle decrease when there is stronger wind?
        > ie: the edge of the window changes from 85 degrees to something
        like
        > 70 degrees.??? >>
        >
        > You've got it exactly reversed. The window angle generally
        INcreases with
        > stronger wind, so in stronger wind you need to launch from further
        upwind,
        > since that's where the edge of the window is now.
        >
        > Mel

        WHAT MY FRIEND IS TRYING TO SAY IS THAT WHEN WE FLEW THE KITE THE
        WIND SPEED WAS AROUND 27MPH.TRYING TO FLY THE KITE FROM THE EDGE OF
        THE WIND WINDOW WAS NOT POSSIBLE AS THE LINES WERE GOING WITH THE
        WIND,SO AS YOU LET GO OF THE KITE IT BOUNCED AROUND THE FLOOR MAKING
        ITS WAY TO THE POWER ZONE. MAYBE THE WIND WAS TO STRONG AS WE COULD
        NOT KEEP THE LINES TIGHT.
      • bnow@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
          AHHH! Thank You

          This explanation clears up the confusion. You may have indeed
          launched to close to the edge of the wind window. The small kite
          probably did not fill enough to pull the lines tight in that amount
          of wind. It may have just luffed back into the power zone.

          Mark

        • bnow@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
            What was probably happening is that the drag from the kite lines
            was changing the angle of the kite so much, it was like trying to
            launch past the window's edge causing the kite to luff. If you had
            an adjustment strap on your bar, you could have possibly shortened
            the rear lines, or lengthen the front lines to compensate for the
            drag on the flying lines, causing the angle of the kite to change.

            Mark

          • m.diffey@breathemail.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
              -I FLY THE KITE ON 2 LINES ONLY,BOTH THE BREAK LINES R TYED OFF 2 THE
              MAIN LINES.
              MARK WHAT KITE DO U FLY?
              AND WHAT STYLE OF BOARD DO U RIDE?
              WHAT DO U THINK OF THE PETER LYNN ARC?
              CHEERS MATT.

            • bnow@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
                Hey Matt

                I apologize for the brain fart on my part, for assuming you were
                using a four-line setup on your kite.

                I fly the Peter Lynn ARC kites, use a killer Monkey AIR twin tip
                kiteboard, and of course I think the Peter Lynn ARC is one of the
                best kite designs going in kiteboarding today. Check the archives
                here under "ARC" and you can read what myself and others have said
                about our experience with flying the ARC. Also you can check out
                these web sites: www.monkeyair.com, and the Peter Lynn site
                www.peterlynnkites.co.nz/.

                Take care.

                Mark

                --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, m.diffey@b... wrote:
                > -I FLY THE KITE ON 2 LINES ONLY,BOTH THE BREAK LINES R TYED OFF 2
                THE
                > MAIN LINES.
                > MARK WHAT KITE DO U FLY?
                > AND WHAT STYLE OF BOARD DO U RIDE?
                > WHAT DO U THINK OF THE PETER LYNN ARC?
                > CHEERS MATT.
                >

                > -- In kitesurf@egroups.com, bnow@e... wrote:
                > > What was probably happening is that the drag from the kite
                lines
                > > was changing the angle of the kite so much, it was like trying to
                > > launch past the window's edge causing the kite to luff. If you
                had
                > > an adjustment strap on your bar, you could have possibly
                shortened
                > > the rear lines, or lengthen the front lines to compensate for the
                > > drag on the flying lines, causing the angle of the kite to change.
                > >
                > > Mark
                > >
                > > --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, bnow@e... wrote:
                > > > AHHH! Thank You
                > > >
                > > > This explanation clears up the confusion. You may have
                indeed
                > > > launched to close to the edge of the wind window. The small
                kite
                > > > probably did not fill enough to pull the lines tight in that
                > amount
                > > > of wind. It may have just luffed back into the power zone.
                > > >
                > > > Mark
                > > >

                > > > WHAT MY FRIEND IS TRYING TO SAY IS THAT WHEN WE FLEW THE KITE
                THE
                > EDGE
                > > OF
                > THE
                > > > MAKING
                > > COULD
              • Stefano
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 23, 2001
                  > I agree-for your own savety and for other people:
                  > take more lessons !
                  > With Kitesurfing it is very useful to take lessons!

                  today in a portuguese language forum we had a newbee ask how to launch he
                  kite while in the water with his feet in the straps on his 7 foot
                  directional.... he wants to launch the kite that way so that he can launch
                  it and take off immediately likes hes seen "in the videos"

                  not only is he asking , he has tried this on 5 different days... and says he
                  actually got onto the board on one try !

                  DEFINITELY this guy needs lessons