Re: [ksurf] Re: Almost ripped my arms off!

  • zaluskim
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
      27 mph might be a little much for learning but later it can be very fun on
      the right equipment.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
        I couldn't agree more. I had my best jump ever using a 15.5 in a 28 - 30 mph
        gust.

        << 27 mph might be a little much for learning but later it can be very fun on
        the right equipment.
        Z >>
      • KiteBoard@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
          john@... writes:

          << maybe we were launching to far
          upwind. >>

          More likely too far DOWNwind. The closer to straight downwind (directly in
          front of you when your back is to the wind) the more power the kite will have.

          << Does the window angle decrease when there is stronger wind?
          ie: the edge of the window changes from 85 degrees to something like
          70 degrees.??? >>

          You've got it exactly reversed. The window angle generally INcreases with
          stronger wind, so in stronger wind you need to launch from further upwind,
          since that's where the edge of the window is now.

          Mel
        • m.diffey@breathemail.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
            --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, KiteBoard@a... wrote:
            > In a message dated 1/1/01 5:35:11 AM Pacific Standard Time,
            > john@j... writes:
            >
            > << maybe we were launching to far
            > upwind. >>
            >
            > More likely too far DOWNwind. The closer to straight downwind
            (directly in
            > front of you when your back is to the wind) the more power the kite
            will have.

            > << Does the window angle decrease when there is stronger wind?
            > ie: the edge of the window changes from 85 degrees to something
            like
            > 70 degrees.??? >>
            >
            > You've got it exactly reversed. The window angle generally
            INcreases with
            > stronger wind, so in stronger wind you need to launch from further
            upwind,
            > since that's where the edge of the window is now.
            >
            > Mel

            WHAT MY FRIEND IS TRYING TO SAY IS THAT WHEN WE FLEW THE KITE THE
            WIND SPEED WAS AROUND 27MPH.TRYING TO FLY THE KITE FROM THE EDGE OF
            THE WIND WINDOW WAS NOT POSSIBLE AS THE LINES WERE GOING WITH THE
            WIND,SO AS YOU LET GO OF THE KITE IT BOUNCED AROUND THE FLOOR MAKING
            ITS WAY TO THE POWER ZONE. MAYBE THE WIND WAS TO STRONG AS WE COULD
            NOT KEEP THE LINES TIGHT.
          • bnow@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
              AHHH! Thank You

              This explanation clears up the confusion. You may have indeed
              launched to close to the edge of the wind window. The small kite
              probably did not fill enough to pull the lines tight in that amount
              of wind. It may have just luffed back into the power zone.

              Mark

            • bnow@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
                What was probably happening is that the drag from the kite lines
                was changing the angle of the kite so much, it was like trying to
                launch past the window's edge causing the kite to luff. If you had
                an adjustment strap on your bar, you could have possibly shortened
                the rear lines, or lengthen the front lines to compensate for the
                drag on the flying lines, causing the angle of the kite to change.

                Mark

              • m.diffey@breathemail.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
                  -I FLY THE KITE ON 2 LINES ONLY,BOTH THE BREAK LINES R TYED OFF 2 THE
                  MAIN LINES.
                  MARK WHAT KITE DO U FLY?
                  AND WHAT STYLE OF BOARD DO U RIDE?
                  WHAT DO U THINK OF THE PETER LYNN ARC?
                  CHEERS MATT.

                • bnow@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 2, 2001
                    Hey Matt

                    I apologize for the brain fart on my part, for assuming you were
                    using a four-line setup on your kite.

                    I fly the Peter Lynn ARC kites, use a killer Monkey AIR twin tip
                    kiteboard, and of course I think the Peter Lynn ARC is one of the
                    best kite designs going in kiteboarding today. Check the archives
                    here under "ARC" and you can read what myself and others have said
                    about our experience with flying the ARC. Also you can check out
                    these web sites: www.monkeyair.com, and the Peter Lynn site
                    www.peterlynnkites.co.nz/.

                    Take care.

                    Mark

                    --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, m.diffey@b... wrote:
                    > -I FLY THE KITE ON 2 LINES ONLY,BOTH THE BREAK LINES R TYED OFF 2
                    THE
                    > MAIN LINES.
                    > MARK WHAT KITE DO U FLY?
                    > AND WHAT STYLE OF BOARD DO U RIDE?
                    > WHAT DO U THINK OF THE PETER LYNN ARC?
                    > CHEERS MATT.
                    >

                    > -- In kitesurf@egroups.com, bnow@e... wrote:
                    > > What was probably happening is that the drag from the kite
                    lines
                    > > was changing the angle of the kite so much, it was like trying to
                    > > launch past the window's edge causing the kite to luff. If you
                    had
                    > > an adjustment strap on your bar, you could have possibly
                    shortened
                    > > the rear lines, or lengthen the front lines to compensate for the
                    > > drag on the flying lines, causing the angle of the kite to change.
                    > >
                    > > Mark
                    > >
                    > > --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, bnow@e... wrote:
                    > > > AHHH! Thank You
                    > > >
                    > > > This explanation clears up the confusion. You may have
                    indeed
                    > > > launched to close to the edge of the wind window. The small
                    kite
                    > > > probably did not fill enough to pull the lines tight in that
                    > amount
                    > > > of wind. It may have just luffed back into the power zone.
                    > > >
                    > > > Mark
                    > > >

                    > > > WHAT MY FRIEND IS TRYING TO SAY IS THAT WHEN WE FLEW THE KITE
                    THE
                    > EDGE
                    > > OF
                    > THE
                    > > > MAKING
                    > > COULD
                  • Stefano
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 23, 2001
                      > I agree-for your own savety and for other people:
                      > take more lessons !
                      > With Kitesurfing it is very useful to take lessons!

                      today in a portuguese language forum we had a newbee ask how to launch he
                      kite while in the water with his feet in the straps on his 7 foot
                      directional.... he wants to launch the kite that way so that he can launch
                      it and take off immediately likes hes seen "in the videos"

                      not only is he asking , he has tried this on 5 different days... and says he
                      actually got onto the board on one try !

                      DEFINITELY this guy needs lessons